Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brand New 103" Engine Leaking Oil  (Read 2493 times)

richardquick1960

Brand New 103" Engine Leaking Oil
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, but have been riding Harleys in Europe since 1982.

I recently had to replace the engine in my 2001 FLSTC, due to a catastrophic inner cam bearing failure which totally destroyed the motor at 42,000 miles.

I ordered a brand new 103" motor from Latus HD in Oregon as used in the 2005 CVO Fatboy, had it shipped to Spain where I currently live....From the very beginning the engine has had the dreaded oil "sweat" coming from the left side rear cylinder & also from the front left cylinder...I'm pretty disgusted with HD, 1st my well maintained 88B destroys itself at 42,000 miles & the brand new replacement leaks oil.

I've now completed over 6,000 miles on the 103 & the leak doesn't seem to be getting worse...Just damn annoying is all!!!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Brand New 103" Engine Leaking Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »

So it's not a gasket leak you're reporting but a porosity problem?  Many of us here can remember when that was a fairly significant problem for the MoCo.  Can remember it coming up again a few times early in the 110 run. 

If that's what you've got we both know all I can say is sorry.  As there's nothing that can be done about other than replacing the porous parts with new pieces that were better castings.

richardquick1960

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »

Thanks,

I have heard of the porosity problem, I was hoping the was caused by excessive assembly lube at the factory. I spoke to Latus HD where I purchased the engine & they apologised for the problem & sent me a top end gasket set. They also informed me that some new engines had the small o-ring missing on the oil drainback dowel at the left rear of the back cylinder....I'll wait until the winter & then take a look......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:51:11 PM »

Whether it's a porosity issue or the more hopeful leak from a gasket or o-ring is something that should be able to be distinguished.  Very thorough cleaning and some very careful viewing.  Will keep my finger crossed it's a simple leak.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.