Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: 110 Motor Tapping  (Read 23949 times)

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
  • "I fly on the wings of Red Eagle"
110 Motor Tapping
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »

I've had my '12 CVO SG since March, it's my first bike with a 110" motor.  I know it's known that the 110's have some tapping that evidently is a result of valve train noise.  I had a 96" for 4 years and a 103" for about 5 months.  Of course neither of these motors had the noises that the 110 does.  So with that as much as I really like everything else about this bike I am having a difficult time getting use to the tapping coming from my bike.  About 3,300 miles now.  Everytime I hear it I cannot help but to think that something is amiss with the motor comparing to what I knew from the previous motors.  I even had 2 Harley techs check it out just to be sure and of course they say it is normal for the 110 motor.  Maybe so but man I hate it.  I keep telling myself to give it more time and I will get use to it but it just doesn't seem to be happening.  Just curious if anyone else out there that are new to the 110 motor is having the same issue I am having and what your thoughts might be on the matter.  Does it bother you?  Did you just get use to it? etc.  And no, I don't want to just crank up the radio to drown it out or put on obnoxiously loud mufflers.  I have a Fullsac setup and like it as is.

So if I decided to go into the engine internally what would be the best thing to consider doing that would help with the tapping or better yet eliminate it completely and not break the bank?

Thanks

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Re: 110 Motor Tapping
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »

I've had my '12 CVO SG since March, it's my first bike with a 110" motor.  I know it's known that the 110's have some tapping that evidently is a result of valve train noise.  I had a 96" for 4 years and a 103" for about 5 months.  Of course neither of these motors had the noises that the 110 does.  So with that as much as I really like everything else about this bike I am having a difficult time getting use to the tapping coming from my bike.  About 3,300 miles now.  Everytime I hear it I cannot help but to think that something is amiss with the motor comparing to what I knew from the previous motors.  I even had 2 Harley techs check it out just to be sure and of course they say it is normal for the 110 motor.  Maybe so but man I hate it.  I keep telling myself to give it more time and I will get use to it but it just doesn't seem to be happening.  Just curious if anyone else out there that are new to the 110 motor is having the same issue I am having and what your thoughts might be on the matter.  Does it bother you?  Did you just get use to it? etc.  And no, I don't want to just crank up the radio to drown it out or put on obnoxiously loud mufflers.  I have a Fullsac setup and like it as is.

So if I decided to go into the engine internally what would be the best thing to consider doing that would help with the tapping or better yet eliminate it completely and not break the bank?

Thanks

Your not alone. I have the same issue. I went from a springer to sportser to SESG and man what a difference. This motor is hot and noisy. But sure is a nice and comfortable ride. I'll take the ticking anyway as it never really bothered me.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

Your not alone. I have the same issue. I went from a springer to sportser to SESG and man what a difference. This motor is hot and noisy. But sure is a nice and comfortable ride. I'll take the ticking anyway as it never really bothered me.

The heat I can tolerate although that dude is some kind of hot when you are riding in almost 100 degree Texas heat.  But everytime I ride the bike and the tapping/ticking starts I cannot help but to say to myself, does everyone else that has a bike with a 110 hear what I hear and if so I have hard time believing it is acceptable to them.  So then I wonder if my bike is somehow different.  I guess I would have to hear other someone else's 110 to know for sure.  So again that is why I had it checked it but it appears my bike is acting like a normal 110 motor.

Man the ride is awesome.  This bike will chew up miles and spit them out.  I've never been more comfortable on a bike.  But again the tapping...  Everything would be right in my world if not for that.

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »

The heat I can tolerate although that dude is some kind of hot when you are riding in almost 100 degree Texas heat.  But everytime I ride the bike and the tapping/ticking starts I cannot help but to say to myself, does everyone else that has a bike with a 110 hear what I hear and if so I have hard time believing it is acceptable to them.  So then I wonder if my bike is somehow different.  I guess I would have to hear other someone else's 110 to know for sure.  So again that is why I had it checked it but it appears my bike is acting like a normal 110 motor.

Man the ride is awesome.  This bike will chew up miles and spit them out.  I've never been more comfortable on a bike.  But again the tapping...  Everything would be right in my world if not for that.

Yea I'm in Texas around San Antonio. It's hella HOT but not as humid as where you are in Texas. But as far as the tick it's normal just ride the shyte out of her. That's what I do.

SciFiGuy

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSEIII
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »

Have the same, well not going to really call it a problem with the ticking. Had a 08 Street Bob then a 09 Street Glide and now the 12 CVO SESG and have heard the tapping on all three.

One thing to consider and I maybe way off base here but since the SESG have the lowers the sound may seem to be worse due the the sound bouncing off the lowers and to our ears.  :nixweiss:

At least thats what I keep telling myself anyway.  ???
2012 CVO FLHXIII Citrus/Gunstock

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »

Have the same, well not going to really call it a problem with the ticking. Had a 08 Street Bob then a 09 Street Glide and now the 12 CVO SESG and have heard the tapping on all three.

One thing to consider and I maybe way off base here but since the SESG have the lowers the sound may seem to be worse due the the sound bouncing off the lowers and to our ears.  :nixweiss:

At least thats what I keep telling myself anyway.  ???

I had a '08 EGC with a 96" for 4 years and I had added the lowers and that bike did not have the tapping.  Also had a '12 RGC with a 103" and added lowers to that bike also and nothing from that bike either.  I've already had the lowers off briefly on the CVO but that was shortly after I bought the bike and wasn't tuned into the tapping yet so I'm not sure how that may or may not have affected the noise.  It's so hot out right now though that I am considering removing them again.  At least remove the vented doors.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »

Being half deaf sure has helped me from having numerous engine problems.
Jesus is Lord

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »

Has anyone definitively identified the source of the tapping / rattle?  My '10 SESG clatters at 2200 - 2400 rpm when the oil is thin and hot.  Very annoying... to the point I am going to throw a bunch of money at it to see if I can fix it.

Before that though, I'd like to hear from someone that has done something to completely eliminate it.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »

My SERGU also suffers from the engine chatter. It is especially noticeable from 2200 to 3500 rpm. It doesn't seem to get any worse when the motor is hot, but it is pretty loud.

I too, am looking for any clues to resolving the noise.

Speaking of getting hot. I am 'blessed' with short legs (29" inseam) so when I stop both legs are in very close proximity to the pipes where the cat is and on the other side, the primary case. I do not recall on any of the other Harleys I have ever ridden the primary case getting as hot as this one. When riding in slow traffic the heat from the right side is incredible. I have the FullSac 'C' pipe and am waiting to install pending receipt of the TTS Mastertune unit. I am hoping this cures the heat problem on the right side. Is anyone else experiencing extraordinary primary case heat??

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »

My SERGU also suffers from the engine chatter. It is especially noticeable from 2200 to 3500 rpm. It doesn't seem to get any worse when the motor is hot, but it is pretty loud.

I too, am looking for any clues to resolving the noise.

Speaking of getting hot. I am 'blessed' with short legs (29" inseam) so when I stop both legs are in very close proximity to the pipes where the cat is and on the other side, the primary case. I do not recall on any of the other Harleys I have ever ridden the primary case getting as hot as this one. When riding in slow traffic the heat from the right side is incredible. I have the FullSac 'C' pipe and am waiting to install pending receipt of the TTS Mastertune unit. I am hoping this cures the heat problem on the right side. Is anyone else experiencing extraordinary primary case heat??

Grey Ghost

The heat from the right side is a combination of your down pipe, air breather and rear jug heat all rolled into one.  It's just hot and there ain't much you can do about it.  Taking you lowers off will help move some air through there when your are moving.

Well I had hoped someone would chime in with some suggestions on engine mods that might help with the tapping noise but so far nothing.  Was wondering if there were any fairly simple cam/lifter mods, etc that might have an effect on the cause of the noise and help alleviate it.  I thought I had read on here somewhere before where someone did something fairly simple short of a engine rebuild that didn't cost a whole lot and helped with the engine noise or maybe even made it go away completely.

So does anyone know exactly in detail what is causing the 110's to make the tapping noise in the first place?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

I had heard that it might be coming from the lifters, so I did a cam and lifter change.....and that didn't help.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
Re: Re: 110 Motor Tapping
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »

Cylinder sleeves moving up & down?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »

I had heard that it might be coming from the lifters, so I did a cam and lifter change.....and that didn't help.

Good information

There's gotta be some gear heads out there that know this...

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »

Maladjusted,  Regarding the tapping noise. I had a issue with that on the S&S engine I  put in my 95 Heritage. You would swear it was valve train noise, but after an S&S certified repair shop (Bennett's in Long Beach CA.) finally fixed it it turned out to be piston slap. (THANK YOU S&S FOR SELLING ME A BRAND NEW MOTOR WITH LOOSE PISTONS).I have the same noise on my on 09SEUC between 2800 and 3000 and I bet it is also piston slap, but with the minimum amount of oil it uses I don't want to mess with it. Other than the noise it runs too good. I think I have voiced this before so sorry for the rerun post. Ride safe. CAHDBIKER

Has anyone definitively identified the source of the tapping / rattle?  My '10 SESG clatters at 2200 - 2400 rpm when the oil is thin and hot.  Very annoying... to the point I am going to throw a bunch of money at it to see if I can fix it.

Before that though, I'd like to hear from someone that has done something to completely eliminate it.

Mal

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »

Thanks CAHDBIKER... good information.

Mal

Maladjusted,  Regarding the tapping noise. I had a issue with that on the S&S engine I  put in my 95 Heritage. You would swear it was valve train noise, but after an S&S certified repair shop (Bennett's in Long Beach CA.) finally fixed it it turned out to be piston slap. (THANK YOU S&S FOR SELLING ME A BRAND NEW MOTOR WITH LOOSE PISTONS).I have the same noise on my on 09SEUC between 2800 and 3000 and I bet it is also piston slap, but with the minimum amount of oil it uses I don't want to mess with it. Other than the noise it runs too good. I think I have voiced this before so sorry for the rerun post. Ride safe. CAHDBIKER

2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 20 queries.