Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Slipped Flywheel  (Read 11884 times)

Sunman48

Slipped Flywheel
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:17:21 PM »

I have a 2005 Electra Glide CVO with 58,000 miles. Per my earlier Post this week it was leaking transmission fluid. After tearing it down found the inner race had shifted on the shaft and was tearing up the seal, causing the leak. Had to take it to a shop to so they could weld a bead around the race to get a puller on it to remove. The shop called and said the motor was shaking excessively at idle indicating the front motor mount was out. I had changed at 36,000 miles. I told them to change it out while they had the bike there. This morning when I went to pick up the bike they told me the motor mount was not bad so they put my old one back on. Now the shop says that possibly the flywheels may have slipped slightly. Is this what is called scissored flywheels that I have seen in some posts? The bike runs fine and the shaking stops as soon as the rpms are above an idle. The shop owner says it may never get any worse and that it runs fine otherwise, oil pressure is perfect, etc. He said to ride it unless the shaking at idol gets worse or vibration starts while riding. I have never heard of this problem until I saw the scissored flywheels mentioned in some older posts on this board. Is this common on 2005s? Sorry for the long post.

Any info appreciated.

Sunman

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Slipped Flywheel
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »

Yes you could have a problem. Have you had the cam tensioners changed yet???? If not let them check them, while they are doing that they can check crank run out!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Sunman48

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:47 AM »

Yes you could have a problem. Have you had the cam tensioners changed yet???? If not let them check them, while they are doing that they can check crank run out!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Thanks. I will have it checked.

Sunman

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:06:45 AM »

2004 88"ers seemed to be the worst of the 4" cranks, with the 2005 only about 1/2 as bad, from what we've seen here.
You man is right, the flywheel slippage issue is a fact, but something most Harley stores want to sweep under the rug, pretending as if that does not exist.
Follow his lead, as he sounds like he is giving you good advice, and is not attempting to alarm you.
IF, it is of grave concern, then you/he could contact Darkhorse Crankworks, Newton, Wis. (our only source for 1999-up crank work.)
Scott

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:46:37 AM »

ive not seen too many `05 with shifted F/W`s,like posted earlier,check your tensioners & while your in there,check the run-out.if your run out is .003 or less,go with a gear drive cam set up,if over .003,have the F/W`s re-trued (or better yet,get a 4.375" set & go 103") and then go with a gear drive set up

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »

2004 88"ers seemed to be the worst of the 4" cranks, with the 2005 only about 1/2 as bad, from what we've seen here.
You man is right, the flywheel slippage issue is a fact, but something most Harley stores want to sweep under the rug, pretending as if that does not exist.

Follow his lead, as he sounds like he is giving you good advice, and is not attempting to alarm you.
IF, it is of grave concern, then you/he could contact Darkhorse Crankworks, Newton, Wis. (our only source for 1999-up crank work.)
Scott

He has a 2005 SEEG!!!! That bike came from the factory with a 103 motor!!! As I sugested have the tensioners checked. While they are in there check crank runout!!!! Then he will know the real story.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Sunman48

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »

Scott

Thanks for the reply. My bike is a CVO with the stock 103 motor.
I will check the run-out.

Sunman

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »

after 2004 Harley started going cheap on the motor department and shifted cranks became a common issue.  And yes,, Harley does continue to sweep it under the rug...  They just blame in on modified motors..  i've never had a crank problem on any Harley i've owned prior to 2004.  I've had three engines after 2004 with shifted cranks..  Harley replaced one of those engines twice and on the third i traded it...  The guy that bought it, had the bike in the shop within  a year after he purchased with a twisted crank...  it was under warranty and Harley replaced the motor again..   With the amount of problems and great number of motors Harley replaces, why dont they resort back to stronger version they once built    :nixweiss:

Sunman48

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »

after 2004 Harley started going cheap on the motor department and shifted cranks became a common issue.  And yes,, Harley does continue to sweep it under the rug...  They just blame in on modified motors..  i've never had a crank problem on any Harley i've owned prior to 2004.  I've had three engines after 2004 with shifted cranks..  Harley replaced one of those engines twice and on the third i traded it...  The guy that bought it, had the bike in the shop within  a year after he purchased with a twisted crank...  it was under warranty and Harley replaced the motor again..   With the amount of problems and great number of motors Harley replaces, why dont they resort back to stronger version they once built    :nixweiss:

So if mine has slipped (the bike still runs great right now) what is the solution? Does anyone offer a crank that is welded, keyed, splined or something to prevent the flywheels from slipping? If I keep this bike and rebuild the engine (if mine has slipped) I would not want to replace with a new crank with the same potential problem.

Sunman

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

I had a buddy that had allot of vibration on his motor all of a sudden
he took it to a dealer hew trusted and showed then
The dealer felt like he had slipped F/W's
He then towed it back home and showed a Indy shop the bike and they felt it was slipped F/W's as well
I was able to work out an arrangement with the Indy shop to do some additional work to help make the bike bullet proof while they were going to go in there all while it was covered under his extended warranty...
The Indy shop finally had the bike and was starting to tear it down and discovered his SE Compensator had failed and was causing all this undue vibrations he was experiencing
They put the updated guts into it and all is good
FFT
paul
Ride safe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »

He then towed it back home and showed a Indy shop the bike and they felt it was slipped F/W's as well
I was able to work out an arrangement with the Indy shop to do some additional work to help make the bike bullet proof while they were going to go in there all while it was covered under his extended warranty...
The Indy shop finally had the bike and was starting to tear it down and discovered his SE Compensator had failed and was causing all this undue vibrations he was experiencing
FFT
paul

The 05 bike doesn't have that type of compensator.  Had the older far more bullet proof compensator that almost never gave any problem of any kind that was improved upon by the newer compensator that, itself, has then been improved upon several times because it keeps chitting the bed.

Sunman48

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »

FFT
paul

Thanks. I was just in the primary and the compensator is OK. Will now have to open the cam case and check the crank run out.

Sunman

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »

So if mine has slipped (the bike still runs great right now) what is the solution? Does anyone offer a crank that is welded, keyed, splined or something to prevent the flywheels from slipping? If I keep this bike and rebuild the engine (if mine has slipped) I would not want to replace with a new crank with the same potential problem.

Sunman

You can send your crank assembly to a company called Darkhorse and they will rebuild it, true it, balance it, plug the crankpin, and weld it if that's what you want.  I assume they can also sell you a complete new assembly with this stuff already done.  http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/html/parts.html

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sunman48

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

You can send your crank assembly to a company called Darkhorse and they will rebuild it, true it, balance it, plug the crankpin, and weld it if that's what you want.  I assume they can also sell you a complete new assembly with this stuff already done.  http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/html/parts.html

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

Sunman

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

they also. 18 month unlimited milage warranty
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 21 queries.