Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 110 SE Engine noise - knock, squeak ?  (Read 8410 times)

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
110 SE Engine noise - knock, squeak ?
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »

My 2008 CVO SE Ultra started making an odd noise yesterday taht seem to get worse on my way to work. First I thought maybe somthin was coming loose in the exaust but when I left work it was strill there so I went by the dealer to have a listen and they said better leave it and  they will check it out. Talked to the mechanic this morning and he said it sounds like main bearing/flywheel bearing but wount know till thay get into it. 110 SE motor 22,800 miles, is this a normal failure with such low mileage? Thank God I bought the HD extended service warrenty plan. It may hve just paid for it self. Ive never ride hard, change oil every 5,000 with HD SE Syn3 20W50. Only mods are Vance&Hines pipes Powercommander and stage 1 intake. They say that once it is torn down they have to wait for a warrenty rep to inspected it and approve the repair. This seems way too soon for such a failure. Is there anything I need to make sure gets replaced or updated?? :nixweiss: To top it off  the weather is just getting good and this may take a month to resolve >:(

mslcpa

• Junior CVO Member
Re: 110 SE Engine noise - knock, squeak ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:04:28 PM »

Sounds very similar to my 2010 SESG failure at 24K miles. Similar noises. First, the dealer replaced the compensator which was bad. Didn't eliminate the noise. When they tore into the motor, they ended replacing the cams, lifters, pushrods, pistons and jugs, and reworked the heads. Although they weren't sure what caused all of the damage, they thought it was probably a failed lifter, but also was much carbon buildup on the heads, pistons and cylinder walls. Only mods are slip-ons. No headpipes, tuner, etc and maintained by the book.

Again, best accessory I ever added was the ESP. HD initially denied the claim stating this was "normal wear and tear". Dealer claimed otherwise as they have serviced the bike regularly and the MoCo took care of. Been contemplating V&H power duals, SERT and a good tune, primarily to reduce the heat, that I think leads to early failures. However I am a bit cautious as to whether the mod might give the MoCo grounds to deny a future claim.

Be interested in hearing how the MoCo treated your claim. 

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »

Thanks for the info, currently I'm still in the waiting mode. The shop is really busiy right now so they hope to get it torn down by tomorrow night. If not Tuesday, they are closed Monday.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »

My PC111 only cost me $4300. $300 for the PC and $4000 for a total rebuild after ESP denial due to PC

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »

I talked to the service manager about that. I asked him about the PC V&H pipes and the Stage 1 intake and he said that he would set those things aside before the inspector arives. I feel like I can believe him, as a matter of fact the sevice manager was the one to suggest I install it and was going to do the dyno tune until California Air Resorces folkes started warning dealers about modifying bikes. He then sent me to a independent dyno tuner the he recomended highly.

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »

Now Im thinking I should call him and ask him if he is sure there will be no problem. Maybe bring the stock parts down to the shop so they can be there if the inspector does some investigative work.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »

Now Im thinking I should call him and ask him if he is sure there will be no problem. Maybe bring the stock parts down to the shop so they can be there if the inspector does some investigative work.

:2vrolijk_21:    As I've mentioned many times in the past around here, the dealership folks may tell you all sorts of things concerning warranty or ESP coverage, but when the stuff hits the fan the dealer doesn't have the final word, either Harley or the ESP company does.  Even if your service guy is trying to do right by you, he cannot predict what that ESP representative will ask to see.  If it were me, I would definitely go and collect the PC so it can't accidently be discovered by the rep.  As for the air cleaner and mufflers, it all depends on what kind of marching orders this particular ESP rep has been given by management.  Not too long ago a member posted that the ESP rep in his case turned him down over a nonstandard oil filter.  That is total BS, but it might give you an idea of the lengths they will go to to keep from having to pay claims.

BTW, knocking and squealing can be several things, but a fairly common cause lately is the roller lifters. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

If you have the parts in hand, they surely cant and won't see them.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »

Power commander off and out of sight. They started to tear it down last night. Going to stop by today to see what they found. Thanks for all the advise.

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »

Stopped by to see it torn down to the crank case. Looks like the front connecting rod has a tight spot. Pistons, heads,valves, cylinders, oil all look normal for 22,000 miles. The plan to tear it down further so I guess we will wait and see what else we will find.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »

I wish you well on the result.  Please keep us updated   :)
Do it now!

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »

Well I just left the Dealer, repair has been authorized by the ESP inspector :2vrolijk_21:Looks like all new bottom end including rings, cams, followers, oil pump and all related bearings. They haven't opened up the primary yet but if the can find anything wrong with the compensater they will replace it too. Pretty happy with my dealer right now :bananarock:

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »

No parts have arrived yet hoping some time this week. Here is a picture of the failed cam. this is the rear exhaust. All the others looked perfect. What is up with that? 22,000. miles >:( Im happy ESP is taking care of it but is it just bad workmanship?

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »

The problem came from the tappet?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »

Well I just left the Dealer, repair has been authorized by the ESP inspector :2vrolijk_21:Looks like all new bottom end including rings, cams, followers, oil pump and all related bearings. They haven't opened up the primary yet but if the can find anything wrong with the compensater they will replace it too. Pretty happy with my dealer right now :bananarock:

While my Dealer is rebuilding my motor (see my thread "110 Needs a New Crank" here), My Tech said that while he has the primary off that he will pull the transmission seal and look at the tranny main bearing (I guess with a bore scope?) of the 6sp as they have seen issues with that.

The lifter failures that I have seen, have all been on the rear exhaust.

Over here on the "East Side" I have not heard of any "horror stories" of ESP refusing claims due to pipes & tune. You would think that ESP would like pipes & tune because, if done properly, it takes heat out of the motor, theoretically improving longevity.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.