Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Yes, another noisy engine post  (Read 3990 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Yes, another noisy engine post
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »

With the new bike you wrote you bought the Race Tuner and had a map installed.  Are you sure he did too?  If not that would be a difference.  For that matter just because you both might have bought identical bikes and added identical parts is no guarantee that two different techs would download the same map from the library. 

If he does have a Race Tuner and a downloaded map get him to look to see which map was used.  Compare against yours to see if the same was selected.  That's an unfortunate problem with library based maps.  You can't know how well they were made nor how good they might be even if the description generally matches your specs.  It's a real crap shoot.  Almost have to be willing to do the monotonous diagnostic riding lugging along a laptop and with a taped scale over the throttle for sensor position indices to dial the damn things in.

Good luck getting it sorted.  Tuner within range that you're comfortable with?

Rut roh...   :nervous:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »

I'll drink to that   :drink:

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »

My bike pinged like a mofo stock.  Powervision with a FuelMoto map......no detonation, smooth power, and 41mpg. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »

2012 SEUC with about 4000 miles.  Stock except for V&H exhaust, Rush mufflers, and SE race tuner download.  Whenever I twist the throttle to speed up, I hear a noise that sounds like it's coming from the front cylinder that sounds very similar to the sound you would hear with gravel hitting the inside of a fender.  It's a very distinct sound, completely separate from all the other noises these engines make.  I would say it would be like the sound of maybe 4 or 5 small pieces of gravel hitting (and no, there's not actually any gravel involved at any point).

This is exactly the noise by 2011 CVO Convertible started to make 3 weeks ago as I was returning home from a 2000 mile trip in Europe. Mine also seemed to have a blowing noise as well. The bike has done 24K and is basically stock with a V&H Pro pipe and SE tuner. It's also a month out of warranty! The local dealer said it sounds like a component failure. They'll know more when they strip the engine, scheduled for 5th July. It's a long wait but the dealer is reasonably confident that the work will be done under warranty.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »

I took my bike out today and decided to add a little octane booster to a tank of gas.  I rode about 50 miles including sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for a while, so I assume I had the engine running pretty hot.  I couldn't duplicate the problem at all with the octane booster in there.  It was only in the low 80's when I was out, but I think that would have been plenty hot to duplicate the problem if it was going to happen.  I guess I'll know for sure after riding all day tomorrow, but now I'm guessing that the tune next week should be able to resolve the issue.  I hope so.  That octane booster is mighty expensive and I certainly don't want to run that in there any longer than necessary.  I'm going to try the next fillup tomorrow without the booster just to make certain that was what got rid of the noise.  If possible, I'm going back to the same gas station as this morning for the next fillup so that the only variable changed is the booster.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 01:29:08 AM »

Even good octane boosters make so little difference it's tough not to think something else is working in your favor.  Ambient temps or something.  Any chance you just got a really crap tank of fuel?  Maybe even filled up after with a fair bit left in the tank and polluted the next tank also?

Just spit balling here, no real clue from a distance of course.  But, hey, little victories whenever we can claim them.  Glad it's running better now :2vrolijk_21: .

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:10 AM »

I've been through quite a few tanks of gas and I've had at least a few that I've taken well above 200 miles before I filled up, so I've run then down pretty well.  I only rode the last tank 160 miles before I filled it yesterday, so it still had quite a bit of fuel left.  A good part of those 160 miles was ridden through thunderstorms when it was far from scorching hot out, and I was still having the problem that day.  If I can get anybody up and moving around this morning, I am hoping to go through a few tanks today.  One way or the other, I'll know by the end of this weekend and before it goes in for a tune, whether using the octane boost was only a coincidence in the problem going away.  It still needs a tune.  It's never run close to the same performance as my last one, and I can't believe that difference all came from the D&D 2-1's on the old bike.  Well, happy 4th everyone.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »

I've been through quite a few tanks of gas and I've had at least a few that I've taken well above 200 miles before I filled up, so I've run then down pretty well.  I only rode the last tank 160 miles before I filled it yesterday, so it still had quite a bit of fuel left.  A good part of those 160 miles was ridden through thunderstorms when it was far from scorching hot out, and I was still having the problem that day.  If I can get anybody up and moving around this morning, I am hoping to go through a few tanks today.  One way or the other, I'll know by the end of this weekend and before it goes in for a tune, whether using the octane boost was only a coincidence in the problem going away.  It still needs a tune.  It's never run close to the same performance as my last one, and I can't believe that difference all came from the D&D 2-1's on the old bike.  Well, happy 4th everyone.

Happy 4th to you Dave.  Was assuming you'd gone through more than a tank with the problem but realized didn't actually know for sure so thought it safest to throw it out there.  If you're weather up there is anything like ours down here the last few days it's definitely worth taking advantage of it today and riding out the holiday.  Have fun.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

You may have been correct Don.  I rode today and finished out the tank with booster and then filled up with a fresh tank and I still couldn't duplicate the "gravel in the engine" noise.  It was only around 82 degrees, so the weather may very well be the factor bringing it out.  Regardless of anything, I've never had this bike dyno'd and although it rides quite well, it is missing a lot of the zip I was used to in my last bike.  I'm still going to have them do the tune next week.  Happy 4th.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »

You may have been correct Don.  I rode today and finished out the tank with booster and then filled up with a fresh tank and I still couldn't duplicate the "gravel in the engine" noise.  It was only around 82 degrees, so the weather may very well be the factor bringing it out.  Regardless of anything, I've never had this bike dyno'd and although it rides quite well, it is missing a lot of the zip I was used to in my last bike.  I'm still going to have them do the tune next week.  Happy 4th.

It's just good to know it's nothing frightening nor frighteningly expensive and damage.  A little come and go detonation on the edge of a given bike's operational temp range a guy can manage until he decides to do something with it and a load of bad fuel eventually runs its course.  Dialing a bike it to get it all its pep helps the smile meter too.  So it's all good :drink: !

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 09:45:01 PM »

It's just good to know it's nothing frightening nor frighteningly expensive and damage.  A little come and go detonation on the edge of a given bike's operational temp range a guy can manage until he decides to do something with it and a load of bad fuel eventually runs its course.  Dialing a bike it to get it all its pep helps the smile meter too.  So it's all good :drink: !

Yes, the smile meter...the most important part of the ride.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »

a good tune should fix this.  Can maps are exactly that, canned and not customized for your bike or local characteristics (elevation, humidity, etc.)
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.