Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Cam question?  (Read 9714 times)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
Cam question?
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »

Have an 06' Ultra Classic that went to the dealer (Kutter HD, Janesville) for a 95" big bore kit. My question is what cam fits me and what are my choises?

I like to ride pretty hard with friends or by myself. (raced motocross for 25 years so going fast is all I know) but am trying to slow it down a bit. Most of my riding is with the wife doing long weekend trips. Just looking fo a little input. I've been told there is a tq cam or a top speed cam. I'm sure there is something in the middle for me.
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Bagger

Re: Cam question?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:13:17 AM »

I had the 95" kit on my 02 Ultra.  Instead of the SE203 cams which came with the kit, I had the builder put in a set of Crane Cams HTC 310-2 cams.  Good torque cams that churned out 76 HP and 90 FT LBS TQ.  Coupled with a custom SERT map and Vance and Hines Big Shots Long for Baggers, that thing was plenty fast and powerful for me (205), wife (115), and all of our traveling stuff.  I could actually pass cars........right now!  Since I sold that bike, I don't have the data saved anymore, but you can get it from their website.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »

tommyo

Cams are a factor of your riding style as much as they are performance. My advice would be to talk with the tech doing the install about how you ride.

Having said that, I'll attempt to expalin the bascis of cams and believe me when I say basics. This is a subject many talented people have spent their lifetimes working at. There are three factors to consider in picking a cam; lift, duration and overlap. Pick up the 07 Screamin Eagle parts catalogue and turn to page 59. All of the all of the numbers for all of the cams are listed on a chart. Overlap is found by adding intake BTDC and exhaust ATDC. For instance on an SE257 ( nice cam by the way) the intake BTDC is 24 and the exhaust ATDC is 21 so that cam has an overlap of 45 degrees. That means that for 45 degree out of 360, both the intake and the exhaust valves are opening an closing at the same time. I personally prefer a cam with overlap in this range, but that's just me. Duration is the time the intake valves are open, as you can see in the chart, an SE257 has 250 degrees of duration on the intake valve and 260 degrees on the exhaust side. So combining overlap and duration you can see that your intake valves with an SE257 would be open for 205 degrees before the exhaust valves began to open. Not bad and when combined with the lift for these cams, like I said I personally feel this is a good cam. The lift is how far the valves open. Note the chart states the SE257 cams have a lift of .569" for both intake and exhaust . So that's why I like this cam, it has good across the  board numbers without concentrating on one thing or another. By that I mean, a high lift (over .6")  long duration cam with overlap in the low 40's will produce a lot of upper RPM hp (think drag strip) and a more moderate lift ( .5" ) with less duration will produce mid range RPM power. OK, I'm gonna stop here because I know there's a bunch more folks on this site who really and I mean really get into this chit. I've had my day with all that and prefer to do whatever mods I do on the longevity/streetability side. Anyway, good luck to you

B B  

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:11:42 PM »

Tommy,

First off are you going with Harley Cams or you going with Gear Drive cams?

If your staying with a 95" kit and staying all harley put in the 251 cam it will give you the grunt off the line as well as the top end.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:15:38 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »

Have an 06' Ultra Classic that went to the dealer (Kutter HD, Janesville) for a 95" big bore kit. My question is what cam fits me and what are my choises?

I like to ride pretty hard with friends or by myself. (raced motocross for 25 years so going fast is all I know) but am trying to slow it down a bit. Most of my riding is with the wife doing long weekend trips. Just looking fo a little input. I've been told there is a tq cam or a top speed cam. I'm sure there is something in the middle for me.
Tommyo,
I can't tell you which specific cam is going to be best for you, others here are better at that and have already given you some to consider. Only thing I can add with taking your post into consideration is that I would lean more toward a cam that offered TQ versus HP. You stated that you have extensive background in motocross and like the speed, but remember now you are on a much heavier bike (and you have a very important passenger on the back now), so your need for WOT (wide open throttle) isn't going to be needed as much as it was in motocross. What is really nice for the heavier bikes is TQ something that is going to get that weight up and going, something you can appreciate when you want to pass the semi on a two-lane road, something you can impress your buddies w/from stoplight to stoplight, etc. Remember TQ is what you feel, and HP is what you get if you hold the throttle WFO.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »

Harry,

This is all new to me. I had a '01 RK with a 95 kit but I bought it that way. It was all HD stuff. When I got done with it buy changing pipes and adding a power com. it put out 85 hp and 100tq. Now that I'm starting out from scratch I need some direction. I still have to get together again with my dealer and find out all the exacts. We did talk about gear driven cams but that is all that was said. Not witch one. I'm going with the SE heads. Already have Rinehart's and a PC. Looking to join the 100hp club if possible. They said they put a package together that was about $2500. Like I said it has all been talk over the phone . I still need to see something on paper. With this price does it seem like they are using HD cams or GD cams? Thanks for all your info.

Thanks to everyones input.

Starting over!!

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »

Firedood,

Thanks for your input. Your idea is what I have been leaning towards. Thanks again.

Starting over!!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:09 AM »

Harry,

This is all new to me. I had a '01 RK with a 95 kit but I bought it that way. It was all HD stuff. When I got done with it buy changing pipes and adding a power com. it put out 85 hp and 100tq. Now that I'm starting out from scratch I need some direction. I still have to get together again with my dealer and find out all the exacts. We did talk about gear driven cams but that is all that was said. Not witch one. [highlight]I'm going with the SE heads.[/highlight] Already have Rinehart's and a PC. Looking to join the 100hp club if possible. They said they put a package together that was about $2500. Like I said it has all been talk over the phone . I still need to see something on paper. With this price does it seem like they are using HD cams or GD cams? Thanks for all your info.

Thanks to everyones input.

Which model of SE heads???? If you are going to run the 16925-02b heads you can a gear driven S&S 585 or 625 if you change and run high comp pistons. This will get you in the 100hp range. You may want to look into a set of Red Shift cams as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »

Tommy,

If you are going with the htcc heads or the SE heads you can put out the 100 hp / 100 tq without too much trouble.

They are charging you approx 11 hours for juggs / pistons and heads / cam install

Generally 4 hours on Cam  6 to 7 on top end.

so figuring heads are about 1000 bucks 11 hours of labor is 770  that is leaving about 800 bucks for cylinders / cam / pistons .. so no it doesnt sound like he is giving you a price for Gear Drive at 2500 bucks unless he is figuring in a great discount somewhere.

Juggs figure about 300 bucks harley cam 259 or 279 pistons are about 250 and adjustable pushrods figuring about 139.00  all prices subject to change and may or may not meet harley approval.    

If you were to add about 350 bucks to the price I am sure you could get into a set of cams like the Andrews 55g if you stay below 10 to 1 or the 60g if you go 10.5 to one.   Another good cam would be the 570 or 585 from S&S or the Zippers 570 gear drive.  

If you do stay all harley consider the 251 as probably the best bang for what your asking for and that is from my own person experience and seat of the pants.   I have installed and run all the cams mentioned.   I would make a suggestion though to you and that is to buy a cheap set of your stock heads and do an over the counter exchange with someone like Branch FlowMetrics or Baisley or someone of this caliber.  If you pm or call me I would be happy to discuss this with you and see if we cant put you down the road to your end goal.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 08:34:46 PM »

Which model of SE heads???? If you are going to run the [highlight]16925-02b [/highlight]heads you can a gear driven S&S 585 or 625 if you change and run high comp pistons. This will get you in the 100hp range. You may want to look into a set of Red Shift cams as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

16952-06 w/585g cam kit w/ gear
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:36:10 PM by tommyo »

Starting over!!

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:46:14 PM »

Harry,

Thanks for all the great info. Seems like you have been down my road before (a couple of times). I have an estimate in front of me now and the total is $2654.00 With SE heads and 585g gear driven cams. This also includes a pre dyno on my bike now. I got a 20% disc. on parts and 10% on labor. After the break in I'll have to do some more time on the dyno. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions so I hope I can bother you again. Dealer isn't going to start for a few weeks yet so I have a little time to change things if I have to. I'm guessing this is a 10:1 kit? What is stock?

Thanks again,

Tommy O

Starting over!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »

Tommy,

The stock compression ratio for a TC88 (static) is 8.9:1

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 08:56:45 PM »

grc, thanks!

Starting over!!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 11:10:48 PM »

[highlight]16952-06 w/585g cam kit w/ gear
[/highlight]

VERY BAD CHOICE! First those heads are the cheapest set of SE heads that the MOCO offers and second they are only good for .575 lift not .585.  Harry had a much better idea and I have to agree partly. Take you heads and send them out and have them done the way you want them done for a little more cost then you are spending now. That way you will know what you have and A MUCH BETTER SET OF HEADS. There are a bunch of good head porters in this country some much better then others. PM me and I will give you a few ideas of proven people.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 01:44:38 AM »

Damn Dawg I must be slipping if your only going to partly agree ...  We just love to help them go fast and spend their money .. its not only an OCD for our Bikes but everyone elses :)

Have to agree with Dawg and that would be send em out for best results if you go 585 go 10.5 to 1 compression with high velocity intakes at 10 inches with your manifold not an elogated one that someone tries to sell you on flow.  And dont accept and answer at 25" what you want is at 10" with your manifold .. if you get that you will have a really really good idea of what the flow really is expect to see around 155 to 170.    If your not going to send them out go with the HTCC's not the ones you have chosen.  Also if you send them out nothing bigger than  a 1.94 intake and make sure they know the cam your using and allow the heads to be setup for this cam / clearances  Also make sure if you send out your heads that the rocker boxes go with them so the porter can clearance your STOCK rocker boxes accordingly.

TommyO I have been down this road ... a .... few .. times

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 07:01:51 AM »

OK Harry I agree with you now. Tommyo send your heads out. One thing Harry forgot have them shaved 20 thou if you make a piston change 40 thou if not and look at Zippers Red Shift 570 cams in gear drive. While you have the dealer in the cam cavity put in a Fueling oil pump and a Zippers shim. You can find Zippers at WWW.ZIPPERSPERFORMANCE.COM

You will be very happy with that package on a bagger.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:02:51 AM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »

Dawg,

Thanks for putting the smile on my face this morning it was good to finally get over here and laugh a bit.

If they shave .040 off the face they wont want to use the .030 cometic prolly put the compression upwards of 10.9 to 11.1.  Prolly best to use a stock harley gasket if you go down this road which generally tends to spec out to be .050 or .060.   I would only know this because well lets not get into that ...

TommyO is this helping to clear it up for you or making it more muddy.  If its not clear or it is confusing in any form please let me know there are several here on the site that will always chime in and help clarify, make simplier or give a better example to help you understand the process.  

The performance you and everyone else is wishing to attain is really all about the right combination for the end result.   Its also about not skimping in the wrong places and in the case what you are looking to purchase as what they are offering it will be far better for you to spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars more than to go with what they are offering you.

But the best answer I can give you perfomance related is to spend slightly less and have your stock heads or a cheap pair you can buy ported by a real professional and obtain what your looking for.

/soapbox off

-harry

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 09:38:22 PM »

HARRY my 95 inch build has the heads shaved 85 thou and I run cometic's. You have to look at the cam over lap.

Since the dealer is doing the build I can almost bet they will use STOCK HARLEY GASKETS!!!!!!

He needs to look to be (with F/I ) around 10.0 to one corrected.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 11:36:32 PM »

Dawg,

Your right 10 to 1 corrected is the way to go, but the problem is they havent set him up with a quality / value package its more of the slap it together inexpensive way to go.   They are giving him cast pistons over forged they are giving him the cheapest heads which have absolutely no QC on them as pairs.  I have seen one head be great and the other so bad my stock were better.

I recommended to him to buy 5 over pistons / rings and then have the cylinders honed to get the tightest fitment he could based on tolerances / clearances.   Tommy understood how important break in would be if he goes on the tight side of a build.  He is considering the following cams S&S 585, Andrews 60g, and Zippers 570g.   He is going 10.5 to 1 using a cometic .030 vs harley .050 or .060.   The issue is deciding whether to have his heads done or buy HTCC or other as well as they were giving him stock lifters instead of SE Lifters and so on and so on.

Tommy is a bit more educated tonight and is going to go revisit the dealer to have a more indepth discussion about what his specific wants are now and the combinations open to him.   Hopefully the shop he is dealing with will treat him well and understand what he wants / needs to keep reliability and get the most bang for his dollar.  If he wants more help I am sure we can put together a proper parts list for him by sku number and let him revisit the dealer again.   I don't think that is going to be necessary as he has a pretty good handle on the pitfalls infront of him if he leaves it up to them to interpret what he wants.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 03:58:25 AM »

HARRY I am glad I am getting the rest of the story now!!!!!!

HTCC heads over sending his out would not even be an option. SEND THEM OUT!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »

Dawg,

You can only suggest ... which has been done by you and me ...  Beyond that its his decision on this.

-harry

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »

To all that has helped,

This is what I think I'm going with:

Ported HTCC heads pt# 16925-02b W/intake
SE lifters and pushrods
S&S 585g gear driven
Std. SE forged 1550 bore pistons (coated)
and all other nes. parts

With your help I have spent about a $1000 more but I'm with you guys on this!

Thanks again. Nice chattin' with you Harry.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:11:27 PM by tommyo »

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »

TommyO,

Were good at helping ya spend money on this site, but the idea was to give you more bang for your buck and reach reliability and have some fun too.

Forged pistons ....  get the Forged Pistons and personally I like the 60g more than the 585 from S&S.

K&N Airfilter or Zippers Air Filter ....  model 800 by K&N i think.

BTW did you talk to the Stealer Ooops I mean Dealer yet and what did they think of your revelation on part swapping ... really curious what their feedback to you was.

And your very welcome,

-harry

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 07:59:39 AM »

[/highlight]

VERY BAD CHOICE! First those heads are the cheapest set of SE heads that the MOCO offers and second they are only good for .575 lift not .585.  Harry had a much better idea and I have to agree partly. Take you heads and send them out and have them done the way you want them done for a little more cost then you are spending now. That way you will know what you have and A MUCH BETTER SET OF HEADS. There are a bunch of good head porters in this country some much better then others. PM me and I will give you a few ideas of proven people.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

AMS( http://www.automotivemachine.com/ ) in FT. Worth does an outstanding job on Stock heads. For about 600 they will port and flow your heads and will outperform the SE heads  Call Steve,great guy to talk to and he'll give you the scoop, also right down the street for D&D Exhaust and does  a lot of R&D work Dave Rash... Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 08:03:59 PM »

BTW did you talk to the Stealer Ooops I mean Dealer yet and what did they think of your revelation on part swapping ... really curious what their feedback to you was.

My dealer was pretty cool about my changes. Here is the story:
I bought the bike there about 2-3 months ago. I've been trying to build a relationship with them so that there is a future for a non- educated harley guy like myself. It begins with me talking through a service writer that is as educated at this as I am. The service mang. is the guy. But I seem to have to go through the writer. They have several packages to choose from for engine work. I asked for a big bore kit (95") and that is what I originally got. But with the help from you all. Now I have a dependable high- preformance kit. They hope that this combination of stuff works well so they can add it to there line up. Kutter is a all purpose shop. They have a dyno and a machine shop and have all kinds of service awards. I guess you could say that they originally didn't take advantage of me. They were just going to build a entry level kit. I guess they have some sort of software that they can enter all of my stuff before the build to see if it is compatible. I'm sure I will be fine, with all the help from you guys. Thanks. Trial and error!!

Starting over!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 07:41:34 PM »

What's a good cam for stock 07 heads- - - - - -meaning it can't have more than .550 lift.

B B
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:48:56 PM by SPIDERMAN »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 11:44:59 PM »

Harry,
           I owe you a couple beverages of your choice, next time I see you. You saved me beau coup bucks buddy with your advice.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Big B

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 01:20:07 AM »

Brian,

Glad to help ya out.  Happy Thanksgiving.

-harry

hogasm

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »

What's a good cam for stock 07 heads- - - - - -meaning it can't have more than .550 lift.

B B

Big B   I called Andrews yesterday checking on a cam for Crash,  in passing they informed me that they now have cams for the new 96, 103, and 110 motors. They are utilizing a roller chain. I am out of town now so I don't have their phone number on me.

Hogasm

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 06:03:52 PM »

Here's a link to the ANdrews Cams Page, with specs on the new cams:

http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/T96_ChainDriveCams.htm

It looks loke the 26H or 37H would be good choices for a bolt in upgrade. These have the same specs as the 26G and 37G cams which have both been a proven cam for years...

If it were me and I were changing cams I would go with the gear drive versions.

http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/T96_GearDriveCams.htm

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 09:38:41 PM »

What about the cams H-D offers in their Screamin Eagle parts catalogue ?

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

To all that has helped,

SE lifters and pushrods
S&S 585g or Andrews 60g (still would like help deciding)
Std. 1550 bore pistons
and all other nes. parts

[/quote

you have to know where you will be when it comes to Dynamic compression....the actual RUNNING compression when factors like bore diameter, stroke, rod length, static compression and altitude and most importantly , Intake valve close in degrees after bottom dead center (ABDC) are considered.
a good running street motor that wont be too soft down low, and will start hot without compression releases ,should be safe at about 9.0:1 dynamic...with about 185 CCP (cold cranking pressure)

plugging in your 3.875" bore, 4.0" stroke, 7.668" rod length, an intake close of 45 degrees ABDC with the S&S 585 cams, and using an altitude of 1,000 ft.  a STATIC compression ratio of 10.3:1 puts you right on target ... dynamic compression of 9.05 :1 and a CCP of 186.

The Andrews 60g cam with its 56 degree intake close, would need a static compression of 11.0:1 to get you 9.05 dynamic and a CCP of 186.7

Dont be afraid of  compression in itself... you can see that the the same motor with 10.3:1 compression..or..11.0:1 ..can have the same running compression .... .and cranking compresion .. .  Both will start without releases...but because of the other cam timing numbers and lift, will behave differently when ridden....    these are the kinds of things a competent shop/builder should explain and discuss with you.

for your build and riding style....I like a nice flat top forged piston (CP ?) , ported stock heads to get you as close to 9.8:1 STATIC compression with a .030 cometic gasket, and a set of 37g cams for good useable torque from 2500-5800 rpm.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 09:49:13 AM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 01:48:55 PM »

Will either cam work? Which one will be best all around for relyablity? Sounds like I'm on track but my dealer hasn't given to much feedback. Probably because he hasn't started on the bike yet. Looking to build a good mild hot rod and have relyablity also. Unbalanced has been a big help too but always looking for any info. So, 585 or 60G?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 01:49:59 PM by tommyo »

Starting over!!

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 07:12:02 PM »

Will either cam work? Which one will be best all around for relyablity? Sounds like I'm on track but my dealer hasn't given to much feedback. Probably because he hasn't started on the bike yet. Looking to build a good mild hot rod and have relyablity also. Unbalanced has been a big help too but always looking for any info. So, 585 or 60G?

Actually ..for a 95" Bagger...I personally woudnt run either of the two.
In the S&S line, I would use the 570 for a good compromise. Good duration at 244, overlap under 45 degrees (40) and a nice 40 degree intake close for good torque. When set up at the proper compression...it will pull good from 2700 and up. Decent lift at .570 for good cylinder fill in the upper rpm range. I'd run it at about 10.2:1 static compression .
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:13:37 PM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 07:50:37 PM »

Actually ..for a 95" Bagger...I personally woudnt run either of the two.
In the S&S line, [highlight]I would use the 570 for a good compromise. Good duration at 244, overlap under 45 degrees (40) and a nice 40 degree intake close for good torque.[/highlight] When set up at the proper compression...it will pull good from 2700 and up. Decent lift at .570 for good cylinder fill in the upper rpm range. I'd run it at about 10.2:1 static compression .

Excellent choice for a 95 inch touring bike. Also the Red Shift TC557.

Tommyo don't forget to change the oil pump. Install a fueling super pump with their lifters.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 09:18:55 PM »

To all that has helped,

SE lifters and pushrods
S&S 585g gear driven
Std. SE forged 1550 bore pistons (coated)
and all other nes. parts

bump

Starting over!!

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2006, 07:48:35 PM »

My bike is actually apart. The Heads and pistons are in the machine shop now. I'm getting pretty excited about it now! Harry I see you changed your user name...

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 10:12:04 PM »

Tommy, not really posting much as of late, just replying when needed.  I look forward to hearing / reading how you make out with the bike.  Maybe you will get lucky and the snow will melt early /fingers crossed for you.  There is always Bike Week in Myrtle and Daytona :)

-harry

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »

Andrews TW-21, or TW26 cams are good all around cames for heavy bikes. Check the site below, good cam info.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/selectcam.htm

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 02:25:23 PM »

Check these guys out on ebay, they have a pretty good price on Andrews gear drive cam kits, and there is a basic cam chart to get you into the ball park. Final decision depends on your mods and riding style!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-S-ANDREWS-GEAR-DRIVE-CAM-GEAR-SET-KIT-HARLEY-TWIN-CAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35572QQihZ004QQitemZ140090839771

I think someone already mentioned Nightrider, but they have tons of good info, here's there cam spec page.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/camdb.htm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 02:28:37 PM by Talon »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »

Andrews TW-21, or TW26 cams are good all around cames for heavy bikes. Check the site below, good cam info.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/selectcam.htm

Just caught this Talon. Excellent source for cam info. Their consolidated Spec Sheets for all HD cam applications has everything on it. Thanks for the info! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 04:26:51 PM »

No Prob, Night Rider has a lot of good info, there's several setions on cams, below is one for explaining the cam numbers, it says evo, but this is basic knowledge on cams. Some info is subjective as to their own thoughts on how to do it, but their knowledgable about V-Twins.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/evocams.htm
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 24 queries.