Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S&S lifters - Limiters or Not  (Read 11578 times)

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
S&S lifters - Limiters or Not
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »

Hi guys.  Getting ready to replace my stock HD lifters with S&S lifters.  Motor is SE 103 with Red Shift 575 cam and SE Adjustable Pushrods.  Should I use limiters or does it matter with a street driven motor?  Also, any special notes installing S&S lifters with the limiters?  Thanks in advance for your comments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
Re: S&S lifters - Limiters or Not
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »

If your not building a race motor non limiters are the way to go

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »

if 5000+ wont be seen on a regular basis,ide get non limiter

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »

Hi guys.  Getting ready to replace my stock HD lifters with S&S lifters.  Motor is SE 103 with Red Shift 575 cam and SE Adjustable Pushrods.  Should I use limiters or does it matter with a street driven motor?  Also, any special notes installing S&S lifters with the limiters?  Thanks in advance for your comments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Use the S&S Premium w/o, and set the lifter load to .140".
Scott

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies...  What if I already got the lifters with limiters?  Can the limiters be removed without too much hassle? 

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies...  What if I already got the lifters with limiters?  Can the limiters be removed without too much hassle? 

If you already have limiters, there is no reason to remove them.  There's no downside to having limiters.  All they do is reduce the internal lifter piston travel from approx. .200 to approx. .100.  Adjust the lifters to about .040 to .050 off the bottom and you're fine...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 06:43:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys...  This has always been the most supportive forum of anykind anywhere.  The guys a Phat Performance were willing to exchange my S&S Premium Lifters W/ Limiters for those without limiters...  I should have the replacments lifters by tomorrow or Monday...   But now I am confused on another issue...  What is meant by "set to 0.040" to 0.050 off the bottom" or set the lifter load to 0.140"???  In the past I heard 4 turns with 32 tpi adj pushrods...  I don't need the full explaination on how to adjust lifters, but what is the target I should adjust my S&S Premium Lifters W/O Limiters in my motor.  Thanks again guys...   

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »

If you're using the standard SE adjustable p/rods(made by Comp. Cams), I set them at 2 3/4 turns. Same on S&S premiums without limiters.
John

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys...  This has always been the most supportive forum of anykind anywhere.  The guys a Phat Performance were willing to exchange my S&S Premium Lifters W/ Limiters for those without limiters...  I should have the replacments lifters by tomorrow or Monday...   But now I am confused on another issue...  What is meant by "set to 0.040" to 0.050 off the bottom" or set the lifter load to 0.140"???  In the past I heard 4 turns with 32 tpi adj pushrods...  I don't need the full explaination on how to adjust lifters, but what is the target I should adjust my S&S Premium Lifters W/O Limiters in my motor.  Thanks again guys...  

Lifters (without limiters) have internal piston travel of approx. .200.  Your goal is to preload the lifter to position the pushrod just past halfway into this travel.  You can accomplish this by lengthening the pushrod until you just contact the lifter piston (the top of the lifter), and then lengthen the pushrod an additional .120 to .140 deep  -  or  -  you can lengthen the pushrod until the piston bottoms out in the lifter, and then shorten the pushrod .060 to .080 "off the bottom".  You end up at the same place either way.  Some are more comfortable setting the lifter preload off the top, others are more comfortable setting the lifter preload off the bottom.  Same result either way...

Of course, the lifter needs to be positioned on the heel of the cam during this process - setting the piston at top dead center gets you to the heel of the cam.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys...  This has always been the most supportive forum of anykind anywhere.  The guys a Phat Performance were willing to exchange my S&S Premium Lifters W/ Limiters for those without limiters...  I should have the replacments lifters by tomorrow or Monday...   But now I am confused on another issue...  What is meant by "set to 0.040" to 0.050 off the bottom" or set the lifter load to 0.140"???  In the past I heard 4 turns with 32 tpi adj pushrods...  I don't need the full explaination on how to adjust lifters, but what is the target I should adjust my S&S Premium Lifters W/O Limiters in my motor.  Thanks again guys...   

Basically what that is all about is the distance you set the lifter plunger down into the lifter body when you adjust the pushrod.  The plunger has a total travel of .200", and most standard instructions will tell you to set the plunger to be centered in the bore (down .100").  But many people these days recommend setting the plunger further down into the bore, say .130" to .150".  I'll let them explain why they think this is a better way to do things.

Btw, when you have the limiters you cut that total available travel in half, to .100".  If you wanted to adjust your pushrod to center the piston in that lifter you would calculate the turns for .050", not .100".

Jerry

1.0 ÷ TPI = distance in inches per one full revolution.
For a 24 TPI pushrod:  1.0  ÷  24 TPI  =  0.0417" per one full turn  =   0.0069" per flat (6 flats)
For a 32 TPI pushrod:  1.0  ÷  32 TPI  =  0.03125" per one full turn  =  0.0052" per flat
etc.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »

Here is a very good video on how to install and adjust the S&S lifters & pushrods. Good stuff for us novice types!

Evo

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.