Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91300 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Ouch....I may be in trouble then
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »

You should be able to get away with a slightly heavier spring depending on what you have in there now.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »

damn, hate hearing this... i dont know what i did to get so lucky to not have these issues. hope you get her sorted out soon
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »

Morning Update; 56,xxx on the Bike, 35,xxx on the Build, 5,700 on the Cylinders, Pistons, Compensator "refresh".

Even though I promised "way back when" to report "Good :bananarock: Bad :'( or Ugly :nervous:" in this Thread, I didn't want to Post on this until we had a "resolution",,,

For the first 1900 miles on the Revolution Performance Cylinders/Pistons/Rings "refresh" there was some evidence of blow-by with the break-in dino Oil and used maybe 1/4-1/3 qt in 1900 miles,,, I operated the Bike as traditional break-in,,, varying RPM, occasionally loading / unloading the rings, <3K RPM or so, occasionally a blast to 4k, no stop & go, etc,,, keeping an eye on Dakota Digital Oil Temp Gauge (mostly in the 230s, no higher than 240)... For a lot of Bikes, this amount of Oil Consumption could be considered normal, or even good,,, but not for this Bike... So I sent Mark at Oasis Cycles some Bore Scope pictures of the Pistons and the CCP of 191-192... He agreed with my assessment (Oil Control Rings) and "let me make some phone calls,,, I'll be seeing them at Cinci, (The Easyriders Trade Show) and I'll get back with you" ... No big deal for me as the Bike is as Strong & Quiet as ever... In the meantime, I changed the Oil to Mobil1 / K&N Filter and continued to ride it...

At first, (before having a "face to face" with Andrew of Revolution Performance) , Mark came back with; "I'll stand behind the Pistons / Rings / Labor, all you have to pay is co$t on S&S Cylinders if you want to go that route, S&S will Warranty their 117 Kit for 2 years, Parts & Labor Nationwide " I figured that was fair as RP Warrantied / Re-Coated the original Nicasils (even though the Nicasil appeared to have no degradation) at no charge to me...

I know this goes against conventional wisdom :nixweiss: but the Blow-by and Oil Consumption seem to have ceased over the next 900 miles... I relayed this to Mark when I dropped the Bike off at Oasis Cycles to have the Michelin Commander IIs Mounted, a Redline Shockproof Leak on the Baker DD7 repaired, and (possible) replacement of the Cylinders / Pistons / Rings...

To be Continued...

Morning Update Part II;

'Got some feedback from Andrew at Revolution Performance regarding the Blow-by / Oil Consumption Issue,,, Basically; "Whatever the Customer wants to do,,, including a Full Refund of Parts (the whole RP Kit) & Labor if he wants to go another route..."

Well, in light of the MoCo's standard reply / policy of "1 Qt. / 1k miles is acceptable BS" I'm thinking this is as good as it gets :2vrolijk_21:

Hats off to Oasis Cycles & Revolution Performance for standing behind their Products / Labor  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Also got some feedback from Oasis Cycles; "The Michelins are on the Bike, the DD7 leak is repaired (Quad Seal)..." " We changed the Oil, put some miles on, and kept an eye on it..." "I agree with you,,, it seems that the Blow-by / Oil Consumption has stopped..." "How do you wish to proceed??"

Over the course of my life, I have witnessed instances of Rings taking a bit longer to seat (even with Proper Clearances, Assembly, Break-in, etc...), not many times,,, but, I have seen it...

"Let's run it as-is, I'll keep an eye on it, and report back..."

'Picked up the Bike from Oasis,,, when paying the Bill, I noticed that there was No Charge for the "diagnostic" Oil Change & Transmission Fluid :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: and rode back to the Sunshine State...   

I forgot to mention; A year or so ago, (after giving initial feedback) Alto had sent me a new Set of their Carbonite Plates to try (in case there was an issue with the first Kit that they had sent me)...

To be Continued... 'Have to Ride up to meet some Friends for 2 of the Most Favorite things in my Life... FREE & BARBECUE!!!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:39:51 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

Re: 113&quot; / 117&quot; Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »

Can't imagine the anticipation yellow bird is going through after driving to Texas having to wait for Christmas I mean his tune tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2017, 08:53:45 PM »

Have arrived, driven by Ed's shop, ate, drove by Ed's shop, and back to the hotel. Did I mention I drove by Ed's shop?? Yes Harry I am bouncing off the walls.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2017, 09:35:07 PM »

Have arrived, driven by Ed's shop, ate, drove by Ed's shop, and back to the hotel. Did I mention I drove by Ed's shop?? Yes Harry I am bouncing off the walls.

Did you get a chance to drive by Ed's shop?

I heard he was real sick and was gonna have to postpone the tune till till Mon or Tuesday.   Man that sucks

It's April 1 a little teasing is in order :)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #322 on: April 02, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »

Man wouldn't that be bad....lol.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #323 on: April 02, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »

Did you get a chance to drive by Ed's shop?

I heard he was real sick and was gonna have to postpone the tune till till Mon or Tuesday.   Man that sucks

It's April 1 a little teasing is in order :)
It's a tough crowd around here,,, I tell ya..
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #324 on: April 02, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »

It's a tough crowd around here,,, I tell ya..

IT IS INDEED!!!! :D

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #325 on: April 02, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »

Morning Update Part II;

I forgot to mention; A year or so ago, (after giving initial feedback) Alto had sent me a new Set of their Carbonite Plates to try (in case there was an issue with the first Kit that they had sent me)...

To be Continued... 'Have to Ride up to meet some Friends for 2 of the Most Favorite things in my Life... FREE & BARBECUE!!!

Morning Update Part III;

Since the Primary had to come off to repair the Leak in the DD7, I figured that we would give the 2nd set of Alto Carbonite Plates try... Oasis used the Factory Recommended Amounts of Redline V-Twin Primary Case Oil instead of the Formula+...

After almost 3k miles on the new Alto Plate Kit,,, The Original Alto Carbonite Plate Kit was fine after >12k, the Plates still looked brand new, will hand them off to my Skunk Bud (S&S 124HC/DD7) for further evaluation,,, The Redline seems to have made a slight difference in reducing the "Hydraulic Stiction" going into 1st Gear,,, While at BikeWeek, I paid particular attention to the other Bikes (Stock to Highly Modified) around me,,, going into 1st and the shifting of the DD7 is as smooth & quiet as any,,, Much Quieter than most... Even though it co$t$ a few $ more, I will continue to use the Redline V-Twin Primary Case Oil, keep an ear on the Latest SE Compensator / Cast in Oil Deflector and report back,,, Only miles will tell...

DD7; The MainShaft Output Seal Leaked at around 14k miles, The Quad Seal Leaked at around 32k (2 days before the last trip to Oasis Cycles), 'Thinking that something might be amiss in the DD7,,, possible (Harley) MDG going out :nervous:,,, Even though the Redline ShockProof always looks / smells new, never any debris on the drain plug,,, I asked Oasis (Oasis is Baker's #1 Outlet for years now) to take a good look?? "We checked everything, and couldn't find anything that would cause the Seals to go out (prematurely)..." Since my DD7 shipped with all the "Updated Harley Seals" and IMHO, Harley Sealing Technology is pretty much state of the art these days ('had to overcome the baking sheets under the new Shovels in the showrooms of the AMF days LOL) I guess that I'm just "Lucky" :nervous:

The 5700 miles (Reply # 308) on the Cylinders, Pistons, Compensator "refresh" included around 2500 miles to/from/around BikeWeek, trying to keep Unbalanced, His Lovely "Wifey", Sneaky Pete, and John Sachs in sight...
It's always a Treasure to hook up and Ride with those Folks!!
(Hillary Rodham Hubbard was a No-Show this year,,, 'Guess he was afraid of more incriminating / compromising photos being "Leaked" ???)

I checked the Oil after every day and happy to report :bananarock: The Blow-by and Oil usage issue seems to have corrected itself,,, I believe that the Bike is using more Oil by me wiping off the Dipstick so often than the Nicasils are using... Add about another 700 miles of "Thumping the Pines" (including playing with the roll-on from 100 to the Pin for several miles :coolblue:) and the Dipstick is down the width of 2 lines,,, not "Xs",,, the lines that "box-in" the "Xs" maybe 1/4 of an "X"... I can live with that :coolblue:

'Noted that when "Playing with the Roll-on" the Dakota Digital Oil Temp & Pressure Gauges were a stable 230* / 41PSI respectively... 

'Also Noted that the Florida HBRR Chapter is BY FAR, THE FASTEST CHAPTER,,,
"Resistance is Futile"...   

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:47:14 AM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #326 on: April 02, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »

Between your and Ed's endorsement I guess the Alto's will be my next purchase.

David

There are a 1/2 Dozen Indys that I have contact with,,, they are all now using The Alto Carbonite Kit (along with the AIM VP),,, as their Go-To Hi-Torque Clutch Set-Up...

They've used them all,,, 'Guess they're tired of the PMS / having to remove the "judder springs" / run < optimal amount of ATF to get the "others" to work halfway decently???

The Alto Carbonites,,, Competitively Priced, with a Lifetime Guarantee...
AIM also carries a Lifetime Guarantee on their VPs...

Ed

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »

David,
Do I hear a Drum Spinning somewhere near Dallas??

'Hope all goes well :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »

Yes sir!!! His is basically getting some break in time on it and making adjustment as it loosens up

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »

Yes sir!!! His is basically getting some break in time on it and making adjustment as it loosens up

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.