Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91605 times)

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
Re: 113" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »

I know CP has made 4.085 pistons for the 4.06 cylinders......that would be my choice over wiseco
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:16 PM »

John, would the 110 cyl's take that much of an over bore? I was under the impression that .060 was pushing it.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2014, 01:22:48 AM »

I guess to some manor never out grew those days, still pretty bad about if I cant find just what I want modify it till it is...... then wonder why the hell did I do that and what was I thinking....lol.

WELL..... names not on one yet....but.....  Something to think about if your not already to deep in this motor, I emailed S&S on the granite 124 and the response I got from them pretty much says yes we are getting ready to produce granite, but didn't come out and say 124. That being said if they produce granite then would think that a person would stand a chance of getting anything in their product line in granite. The 124 would be nice, but I have been asking about a 116 kit using our granite case, their 4 5/8 crank and a drop in 4" jug. Now we keep our case with the matching SN, still keep granite jugs with o-ring bases, and could still use our 110 heads which I believe would work decent at that CI displacement. When finished we have a stock looking CVO that would be what HD should have offered from the beginning as an upgrade to the 110.

All that said maybe I should reread the first line I wrote and just order the 124....lol.

I am glad it is 70 somewhere and you can grab that ride out of the barn. Burn the road up for those of us that are looking out the window seeing more white stuff.  :2vrolijk_21:

David

David,
'Don't know how I feel about increasing the stroke (piston speed) on a 'Sport Touring' bike vs bore... But, now that you mentioned it, my primary reason (how I justified it, LOL!) for head work on the new 110 heads, was to set the c/r properly... Here in the South we have 93 and (close to) sea level, 'just want the '09 to be 'happy' out West... (David, it looks to me like you are 'slap dick' in the middle)
Any recommendations for c/rs y'all??? ('gotta call TR soon and tell him about "the new 117 deal")

You mentioned earlier about the o-ring bases vs gaskets, 'curious as to how bad the 'weep' is? or if proper assembly will eliminate?

Today, my friend (averages 30k+/yr since '06) came to visit with his dialed-in 113" / DD7  Skunk,  'will get to stroll it in the AM...

Him and I agree (after failures w/the 110s) that the S&S 124 is the way to go. (he has a 124 settin' on the shelf~no $hit!) I am already N2Deep...

'Had a great day "Thumpin' the Pines" today :cherry:

Thanks,
Ed 

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:05 AM »

Right mods, wrong bike(owner). No that guy had wrecked and bought a limited. Mine is a 2010 cvo ultra. My spiral was more slowly accomplished. I went 110- 110 cams, breather, tune- 113, 7sp- 117, Timken- and misc. add on's along the way, Dakota  digitals, radio display to blue(Iron Horse) LED's to go with tourpack splitter, Progressive's, SE shifter, Hogtunes tweeter dash, VH hi-outputs and xovr hdrs and a few more. Makes me tear up thinking about it.

'Got it...

'Would really appreciate your feedback on the 117... What did y'all do with the clutch?
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »

John, would the 110 cyl's take that much of an over bore? I was under the impression that .060 was pushing it.

I have done 3 sets of 4.06 in a 4"  cylinder.....2 sets of suburban mahle pistons and one set that I had done thru my piston company and I sold the other set that the customer will be having done by his shop.

So far so good no problems.

The next order of pistons will be in 4.040 for no reason other than

I like the ring package I can do at 4.04

I like to keep cylinder walls as thick as I can and yet gain something...pistons I am doing have either a 3 or 4 cc dome to get the compression that I am looking for my own camshafts.

And I am doing the pistons in a full round skirt as I do not like the FSR/Slipper skirt bullchit that Wiseco/JE and others are doing.....these are touring bikes and piston stability is paramount to making these things live long healthy lives.

www.jwperf.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »

I have done 3 sets of 4.06 in a 4"  cylinder.....2 sets of suburban mahle pistons and one set that I had done thru my piston company and I sold the other set that the customer will be having done by his shop.

How much CI does the 4.04 bore give with the 4-3/8 stroke?

I like to keep cylinder walls as thick as I can and yet gain something...pistons I am doing have either a 3 or 4 cc dome to get the compression that I am looking for my own camshafts.

And I am doing the pistons in a full round skirt as I do not like the FSR/Slipper skirt bullchit that Wiseco/JE and others are doing.....these are touring bikes and piston stability is paramount to making these things live long healthy lives.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »

Would you have any issues in cutting the dome on the Suburban Speed piston to a flat top? I think it has like a 9cc dome on it.   Could the pistons you are using at 4.040 be cut to a flat top?

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2014, 09:05:30 PM »

David,
'Don't know how I feel about increasing the stroke (piston speed) on a 'Sport Touring' bike vs bore... But, now that you mentioned it, my primary reason (how I justified it, LOL!) for head work on the new 110 heads, was to set the c/r properly... Here in the South we have 93 and (close to) sea level, 'just want the '09 to be 'happy' out West... (David, it looks to me like you are 'slap dick' in the middle)
Any recommendations for c/rs y'all??? ('gotta call TR soon and tell him about "the new 117 deal")

You mentioned earlier about the o-ring bases vs gaskets, 'curious as to how bad the 'weep' is? or if proper assembly will eliminate?

Today, my friend (averages 30k+/yr since '06) came to visit with his dialed-in 113" / DD7  Skunk,  'will get to stroll it in the AM...

Him and I agree (after failures w/the 110s) that the S&S 124 is the way to go. (he has a 124 settin' on the shelf~no $hit!) I am already N2Deep...

'Had a great day "Thumpin' the Pines" today :cherry:

Thanks,
Ed 

Ed,
For the most part in this area the best you will see will be 91 and that is usually an alcohol blend. If you are a 2-up rider, once summer gets going that is not enough to support much more than about 200 CCP if you are riding hard on the twist's. Maybe a little more but not a lot especially if you are loaded.

The base gasket/o-ring deal is a toss up from what I can find depending on how much is removed from the case for the larger bore and how much o-ring groove is left in the case. Some builders will shy away from it, while others will tell you no problem. Local guy I have some faith in say 50/50 and he would be happy to build it but if it weeps it's still mine. Ed, I am no builder, this is just information I have been feed while in search of a way to keep a granite motor in my bike without having to rob a bank to powder coat. I am sure that some of the builders on here can answer that better than me.

I am still very interested in hearing how you like you buddy's 113. Call me anal, but I am still not sold on the 124 for a couple reasons, and the biggest one is when you walk by my Yellow glide I want it to still have SN's that match, case and jugs that look like they belong there, and a set of heads that still have the 110 medallion on then. I know I will sacrifice a lot of motor, but like you said before I bet it will still get me a ticket anywhere I go. Yes you can say it.....boy he is screwing up....lol. Going to take some thought before I jump 124.....maybe....lol.

David

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »

And if I worked that dang calculator correct that 4.040 bore would come out like 112.17 CI

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2014, 12:26:16 AM »

Ed,
For the most part in this area the best you will see will be 91 and that is usually an alcohol blend. If you are a 2-up rider, once summer gets going that is not enough to support much more than about 200 CCP if you are riding hard on the twist's. Maybe a little more but not a lot especially if you are loaded.

'Rode through Oklahoma City a couple of times, and 91 is the best that you can do, as it the rest of the West, except Colorado where 90 is the best.
Oasis said that I should be fine w/ 10.4-1 anywhere I go... T-Man says the 625s work well at 10.2 - 10.6, he likes 10.6, but to be a little on the safe side (with the way I ride the '09), I wanted to split the difference at 10.4

The base gasket/o-ring deal is a toss up from what I can find depending on how much is removed from the case for the larger bore and how much o-ring groove is left in the case. Some builders will shy away from it, while others will tell you no problem. Local guy I have some faith in say 50/50 and he would be happy to build it but if it weeps it's still mine. Ed, I am no builder, this is just information I have been feed while in search of a way to keep a granite motor in my bike without having to rob a bank to powder coat. I am sure that some of the builders on here can answer that better than me.

David, don't sell yourself short, I've picked up some good info from you, Thanks!
Oasis and T-Man have a ton of the nicasils out there, I guess (hope!lol) they have everything figured out

I am still very interested in hearing how you like you buddy's 113. Call me anal, but I am still not sold on the 124 for a couple reasons, and the biggest one is when you walk by my Yellow glide I want it to still have SN's that match, case and jugs that look like they belong there, and a set of heads that still have the 110 medallion on then. I know I will sacrifice a lot of motor, but like you said before I bet it will still get me a ticket anywhere I go. Yes you can say it.....boy he is screwing up....lol. Going to take some thought before I jump 124.....maybe....lol.

My buddy's name is David also, he's already got well over 30k on his 113/DD7 and it is a friggin' rocket of a "Sport Touring" Skunk!!! Effortless power everywhere, a very well balanced "Sport Touring" platform. He had the front rod bearing go at 16k-110 Stage III, Oasis has built him a motor that has restored his confidence in the bike~priceless...
I would have been very happy with the 113, but couldn't pass up the upgrade to 117, for basically the cost of boring and the special center bolt, especially since I was going to have to look at non-stock cylinders anyway...
'Having a stock looking bike, with matching #s was valuable to me also, even though I have spent so much $ on the '09 that I am way upside down and could not get rid of it without taking a bath :nixweiss: (not that I'm looking to)
Our mindset with the 124, is that you know to do a 113 "right" (bottom end and all) one can easily put thousands more $$ into a 113, than the 124, and it is a proven package, already dialed in. My power hungry days are over with the '01 Switchblade (it is a balanced rocket of a bar hopper, and has always drawn a crowd where ever it goes) so the extra power of the 124 was secondary to me.
I'm sure that you will be happy with the 113, as I know you have done your research and will select a Builder that you trust.
BTW 'still working on the parts list.
BTW2 My Tech told me today that the DD7 install was no problem, went right in.
Thanks again,
Ed

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

Decisions decisions decisions....lol.

I think you will be happy with the 117....very happy. I would be! I know your looking at a little more mid and top than I am, but I rode a 117 with the 585 in it and it would rip your arms off low and mid.

How is the Skunks's 113 built?

Now with S&S offering help for us granite CVO owners, will mother Harley came back with a granite 120 or have they completely abandoned us?

What if....

Just when I think I had a plan...

David

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:10 PM »

Decisions decisions decisions....lol. I know... :nixweiss:

I think you will be happy with the 117....very happy. I would be! I know your looking at a little more mid and top than I am, but I rode a 117 with the 585 in it and it would rip your arms off low and mid.

Did that 117 bike have a DD7? I'm not chasing #s with this build, 'just figured that with the ratios of the 7 that I would prefer the curves a little to the right, and a little more operating (rev) range. As I mentioned earlier, the operating range of the stock (255s) motor really didn't suit my preferences.

How is the Skunks's 113 built?

Line Bore, Timken, Hefty Lefty
Silvermoon Crank, Carillo Rods
Wiseco or CP Pistons
Stock SE Cylinders
High 9s Compression?
Feuling Plate / Pump
Woods 408-6s, Directional Lifters
Hurricane Heads (worked) S&S Roller Rockers
Forged Rocker Supports
HPI TB, 5.3 Injectors
PC-V / Auto
S&S Pipes/Mufflers
'Sure that everything not listed, is high end components.
(he wasn't as picky with his parts list as I am LOL)
He rides solo 99%

Now with S&S offering help for us granite CVO owners, will mother Harley came back with a granite 120 or have they completely abandoned us?

Personally, I would prefer a 113 with a "proper" bottom end (like the one we are building) much more than a HD 120R! (IMHO the SE bottom end could still use some improvements) If not for the ring issues (you know my deal) I would perfectly happy w/ the 113. I feel that the 113/DD7 is a great, durable, balanced, combination for a "Sport Touring" Bike and I have a "sleeper" w/ matching #s

What if.... If wishes were wings, frogs wouldn't bump their ass...LOL!

Just when I think I had a plan...

David

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »

Ok now I follow you thinking on cam with the DD7. I know how much the DD7 shortened up the cam in my bike so a short cam would really be short. No the 117 with the 585 was in a 06 Street Glide and actually had the DD6 behind it, and if you were to be able to get the 7 behind it.....yep I follow you...lol.

I sure hope the 117 works out well, if that is the direction you choose to go. It would be really nice to actually know someone with recent first hand experience with the Rev Peform kit.

Keep that part list going my friend, because I am still very torn between the 113 and the stock appearing bike and the 124. And keep us updated on the 117 as well.

David

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2014, 06:14:48 PM »

Would you have any issues in cutting the dome on the Suburban Speed piston to a flat top? I think it has like a 9cc dome on it.   Could the pistons you are using at 4.040 be cut to a flat top?

The pistons that I have made are back-milled to reduce weight and cannot be cut,if you want a set of flattops I can make some of those as well....no problem.

www.jwperf.com

TorqueInc

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »

oops that is the 4CC dome

underside

www.jwperf.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.