Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91611 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »

What do you think the protective coating does to the expansion rate?

Nothing
The coating gives insurance that's it. A few oopsies and the coating is gone then the next one and the piston scuffs.
What Torque said, warm it up first.

The coating(s) seem to be a good idea for racing engines (although none of their image gallery pics have an air cooled HD in them).

When initially speaking w/ Oasis about specing out the pistons, I wanted the coating on the skirts, Mark said that all the pistons that they use come with the skirt coating. The Ceramic coating sounds like a good idea on the piston domes, but with all the piston / ring drama that I've been having, I'm not even thinking about changing a thing!!!

'Wish Black Diamond would weigh in on this, as he seems to have experience with the coatings in a street Harley...

'Don't know about the "Oil Shedding Coating" on the underside of the pistons? (What are piston squirters for :nixweiss:)

'Sent PD an inquiry about ceramic coating the inside of the (used) V&H PowerDuals, we'll see what they have to say

http://www.polydyn.com/cylinder_heads.htm
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »

Polydyn is the best there is hands down.

Avoid Swain,Jet Hot and there are a couple others who have copied Polydyn....and they just cannot get the stuff right.

Other good coaters of exhaust are Nitroplate and my favorite Lo-Ko

The lo-ko black header coating is just about bulletproof....all of my dyno headers are coated by them and have seen all sorts of lean conditions....wd 40 sprayed on them when hot and abuse and still looks great.
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2014, 11:51:35 PM »

'Wish Black Diamond would weigh in on this, as he seems to have experience with the coatings in a street Harley...

JMO, I noticed no difference as a rider with or with out coatings on the pistons, heads or pipes.  If the package I'm looking to use have a thermal coating on them fine.  If not I'm good with that too.  I think having a good tune, changing your oil every 5000 mi, use good gas, and doing the preventive stuff to keep her running good is much more important.  From discussions I had with many of the builders here and elsewhere, my feeling is coatings "work" to some degree but really "make no real world difference".  There's a company that has a patent on diamond cutting cylinders and heads because it reduces heat.   Real world difference you decide.  It is pretty.  I use to think my exhaust ran cooler coated.  Now I can't tell you if one is coated or not but all will burn you if you touch them. 

If your builder thinks coatings work and you have trust in him...no harm.  To those selling the coated stuff, if you believe in it sell it.  If it's just because the customer wants it (that why it had been done on my motor) so be it.   

JMO

JW

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2014, 10:57:30 AM »

I agree with your assessment. Timing plays in heavily. Ever see red glowing pipes?
We use Finishline over this way. But that said the value added I feel is small only
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:02:25 AM by Deweysheads »

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »

Coating done properly flat out works! The issue is some are sold to customers expecting way to much from them. If it were me I always coat piston skirts, that is a must these days. Top coating of the piston helps make the piston last longer and truely improves combustion by keeping carbon formation away from the top of the piston. Will it gain you a bunch of HP, NO but maybe 1 or 2 out of a 120 HP build. Don't do it for the power alone. As for exhaust coatings on the pipes very few do it right but done properly they will reduce the heat by a few degrees (maybe 50F) once at full temperature, the pipe will cool down quicker and heat up slower. The big trick is to fine someone that real coats all the way through the inside! Many say they are but closer inspection will show just the first several inches from either end are really done, the easy to get to part. Attach you will see a poorly done coating job that a customer sent me. This didn't even last one full season of riding.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »

Ed, got a question if it's not to late for an answer. What diameter was your case bored to for the Rev Perf 117 jugs, and how much of the o-ring groove was left in the case? Was the remaining groove filled or does the base gasket squeeze down into the remaining groove for sealing?

Sorry that turned into more than one question... Lol.

Thanks
David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »

Evening Update;
T-Man has finished his Magic, and the Heads & TB should arrive tomorrow at Oasis for validation. Oasis told me last week that they were just waiting on the Heads, all the rest of their work was completed

Checking with PolyDyn http://www.polydyn.com/ about coating the PowerDual Head Pipe, but I'm not going to let that hold us up...

'Am having second thoughts about the PC-V / Auto since even though FM and DJ say that they have plenty of Base Maps, neither has anything for the 117 with the '09 ECM? 'Considered the PV, but the same deal, and DJ / FM have not addressed the PV / DD7 yet. If the new Maximus Tuner is not the solution that I am looking for, then we will "0" Map (or load a 120R Map - the closest thing that DJ/FM could come up with) the PC-V, set the AutoTune on early, and fire it up...

A plus for the PC-V is that it accommodates DynoJet's "Quick Shifter"

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/QuickShifter/powercommander_quick_shifter.aspx 

If Oasis puts their blessing on the Quick Shifter, I will probably give it a try, to give the clutch a break on those WOT upshifts :bananarock:

edit; Oasis wasn't too keen on the Quick Shifter, as they had a blown DD7 sitting there because the QS went out of adjustment and the customer kept using it, when it was not staggering the ignition...

David, I have a call into Oasis about The Maximus Tuner, if I get a chance to ask them about your questions, I will, if not, I will definitely know next week, and get back with you.

The weather looks good next week and I might drive to Brandon, MS and put the $ saved on shipping for a road trip :)

:2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:07:44 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »

Thank you, I am still playing this o-ring vs base gasket deal through my head

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2014, 02:28:24 AM »

Thank you, I am still playing this o-ring vs base gasket deal through my head

dont use either.
Use rubberized silicone.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »

hows the project coming along  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »

Evening Update...
The V&H PowerDuals, Roland Sands Design Slip-Ons, Heat Shields, clamps and baffels are on the way to PolyDyn Performance Coatings for their Titanium Ceramic Coating.

Hopefully, all components should be at Heritage Cycles H-D in Ft. Walton Beach for final assembly sometime next week.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »

Ed, your going to have that beast up and running here shortly. Heck you may have that 09 on the road before it warms up enough here to leave the house before noon.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »

Evening Update;

These Boys 'Aint Playin' :bananarock:

The "Ball & Chain" and I went to Oasis Cycles yesterday to pick up the Oasis Cycles Worked (Timken, Hefty Lefty, Line Honed & Cylinder Bored, Center Bolt, HT Studs installed, Deck Height Validation, Shimmed for the S&S Crank) Cases, Cometic Head/Base Gasket Kit, Revolution Performance Cylinders / Pistons / Rings, T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads, Ported/Polished SE 58mm TB, Feuling Cam Plate & Oil Pump.

All the Components look like Works of Art :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Since I just brought the components to Heritage Cycles H-D today, Final Assembly is scheduled for this coming week.

David,
About half of the O-ring groove is gone due to the Case Boring, the Cometic Base Gaskets appear to be up to the job, in addition, Oasis supplied (2) O-rings (about 1/2" across ~ for the small O-ring grooves near the studs) to go under the Cometics. This is their "fix" to prevent weeping. 'Noticed that Revolution Performance has very detailed instructions for Installation of the Nicasils.

Everybody involved in this Build is working on the Parts List. We are going to document the specs such as, Crank Runout, CCP, and anything else that y'all suggest? during Assembly, check them over time, and report back here and to the Vendors ~ Good or Bad...

Any suggestions of things that we should start tracking along the service life of this vehicle would be appreciated!   

The Maximus System is being launched very soon and we are going that route.

The Maximus has "Flash Tuning" capabilities and so much more than anything else currently available today ~ light years ahead!!! Along with Advanced Tuning Capabilities, The Maximus will help the Mothership with "Right to Service" Compliance (Diagnostics). Since Oasis is a (the?) Training Center for Maximus, the '09 SERG 117/DD7 will be used for Beta Testing ('Won't be the first time I've been somebody's monkey LOL!)

And yes, Maximus will run through Bluetooth from the iPhone...

Gettin' Closer  :cherry:   

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2014, 06:47:14 AM »

Just missed seeing you at Oasis. I was there about 15 minutes after you left. My bike was out front. Good luck on putting everything together.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »

Ed thank you for the detailed reports as your build goes along.. It will be really nice if the base gasket set up works well. That would give the chance to build some cubes and keep our SN intact. If they get you together next week you could still be breathing new life into the 09 before I am able to get out and ride before 10 am. Keep the news coming.
David
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.