Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91606 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »

Just missed seeing you at Oasis. I was there about 15 minutes after you left. My bike was out front. Good luck on putting everything together.
pkl,
Mark, Charlie, Paul & Sharon are Good to Go in my book! Their Operation is really impressive to me! They all take pride in their craft, and are Great to deal with :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Sorry we missed you!
'Might ride the '05 SEEG up there around the middle of this week... 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »

Snake

Dome coating can effect the % of piston expansion. A dome coating ,...it will reflect the heat from the piston dome thus you get less piston expansion.  So you can in fact run less piston to wall clearance. Depending on application it may be huge or it may be a few tenths.

We are working to have domes and skirts coated on all of our kits. As well coatings on other surfaces and parts.. Skirts coatings are not all equal and even though some major players in the piston game have them on the piston.  Some of it is just a black coating with a logo in it.

Other coatings can "hold" oil thus you get a better surface protection.  Oil shedding coatings , DLC coatings, you name it the sky is the limit.

At this point I do not think that we will be doing any combustion chamber coatings do to the nature of the reflective coating.The heat from the burn will increase your combustion chamber temperature. That can increase power however that stock head is a heat sink and thus if you ramp up that temperature  to far with these engines it may lead to a "build" that is going to want to ping  instead. You pull timing to offset and that you end up back at square one..   Hillsides build that lozano brothers tuned. Coatings where removed the engine then ran correctly.  This is not the first time that this has popped up....  To be clear I am not stating that Hillside or anyone for that matter made a mistake. Just looking at the data. As well Mike and I spoke about it..

Coating company to company I cannot state what one does or the other does.    Air cooled engine is another beast compared to a water jacketed engine.

Looking back at the old alky drag engine , a reduction of  .0025  piston to wall clearance   .009 down to .006 with the use of dome and skirt coatings.  That is not going to happen in a HD but coating have come a long ways and it moving forward..
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »

Evening Update;
'Just dropped off the Red Shift Dual Piston Hydraulic Tensioners and T-Man 625 Cams to Heritage Cycles H-D.

The Bottom end is together (crank feels good :2vrolijk_21:) Sam S (The Tech) is scheduled to get back on it the first of the week.

PolyDyn Coatings shipped the Exhaust today (as promised). 'Can't wait to see the V&H PowerDuals / Roland Sands Design Tracker Slip-ons with their Titanium Ceramic Coating (hopefully the Ti color will be close to the graphics on the '09 SERG)

After speaking with Oasis (pkl, sorry I missed you again) we decided to do the initial start-up / break-in with the PC-V / Auto, then move to the Maximus.

Oasis has Maps for the PC-V that neither DynoJet or FuelMoto have.

While I was there, Oasis loaded a (similar) 117 Map that will work with the '09 ECM.

Gettin' closer :cherry: 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:08:18 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »

My apologies also. Mark and Phillip called but damn if work didn't get in the way. Sounds as if everything falling into place. Good luck.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »

Weekend Update;

Motor in frame, Cam Chest complete, Cylinders, Heads on, (1) Rocker Box complete.

S&S Crank runout .0005 (installed). Rings (prepped by Oasis Cycles) in the middle of spec ('Just don't have the #s in front of me)

A lot of time was spent (along with conversations w/ Andrew at Revolution Performance) on cleaning / prepping the Nicasils for installation. If we have issues with the Nicasils, they won't be for improper installation...

The PolyDyn Coating on the pipes / mufflers / heat shields look great, I was a little disappointed that PolyDyn did not coat the interior of the V&H PowerDual Head pipe at all...

Going to heat cycle / break-in per S&S the first of the week.

Getting closer... :cherry:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:16:20 PM by FlaHeatWave »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »

Did you ask if the pipe was to be 100% coated inside and out??  Karl the owner of  PolyDyn is a straight shooter I am sure you can get the answer from him. Reading your post makes it seem like you did not get what you asked for??   This is why the net can be hard to sort through..

Any plans on bore scope and leak down once tuned?  I would start with that to have it on record , just good common sense there.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »

Did you ask if the pipe was to be 100% coated inside and out??  Karl the owner of  PolyDyn is a straight shooter I am sure you can get the answer from him. Reading your post makes it seem like you did not get what you asked for??   This is why the net can be hard to sort through..

Any plans on bore scope and leak down once tuned?  I would start with that to have it on record , just good common sense there.
'Was dealing with Ryan at PolyDyn, and he told me that the pipe would not be coated 100% inside, that they would spray as far into the pipe as they could, there was no coating at all inside the (head)pipe...

'Plan to do CCP after (oil) pressurization, at the 50mile oil change, 500 mile oil change, 5,000mile oil change and barring any issues, we will CCP/ inspect Cam Chest / check run-out at 20k intervals. (of course we will document oil consumption along the way)

Steve, And anybody else that cares to chime in?

What intervals do you recommend leak down / bore scope?

What other checks / inspections do you recommend that we document / track with this Build?

Thanks,
Ed

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:38:41 PM by FlaHeatWave »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »

Thanks for clearing up the coating.

I would get the bike broke in dyno tuned and at that point do the CCP test and leak down along with bore scope. Now I can show you where CCp test and leak down passed yet there still can have issues with cylinder and or piston etc.  As a leak down is done at TDC so you are only checking a small area. Oil usage is another ring that is not getting tested at all so that is what it is..

I would check it at 1000 miles 2500 5000. If nothing is changing by then  :2vrolijk_21:, oil usage  is a big issue... no oil on piston dome cylinder is not golden in color. I would say that you are good. Oil usage and piston slap are what I have seen on  kits .

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2014, 12:56:09 AM »

'Not in a big hurry to put this bike on the drum. I'm wanting to break-in and put on some miles with the PC-V / Auto (get the motor dialed in with the PC-V), then do a baseline on the dyno, then do some Beta with the Maximus (V-Tuning) and (finally) see what can be achieved with a Dyno Tune. (We're trying to get some info on plug-in/auto vs flash/v-tune, vs flash/dyno)

'Big fan of mini-skirts on chicks. Pistons, not so much...

'Do like that the piston / wall (of the Nicasils) is 1/2 that of Ductile Iron... (we are really curious to see how things play out ~scuffing, slap, consumption~ with this set-up :nervous:)

'Scoping the walls at BDC, along with leak down, oil consumption, & CCP, should give us a decent "read" on this deal...

At this time, we are leaving the breathers vented into the intake (T-Man & Oasis recommended this), we'll keep an eye on this, and try to correlate with what we see going on inside...

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2014, 01:12:55 AM »

Glad you got her together! Can never have enough YELLOW bikes on the road. Still really interested to see what your thoughts are on your new combo!
Most great stores start with a bad decision

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »

Well unless your shop has done another of these builds as a twin your PV map is only a starting point. If you vary AFR too much ( rich or lean) the auto tune will not work very well ...Some time not at all in that given area,, until changes are made.

So that shop will warranty  engine's if they fail based on a auto tuner??  :nixweiss: with a PC-V tuner on something this large??  What base cal is in bike??  seems an odd way to go being that the PC-V and the stock ECM do not even work together well One is speed density the other alpha N..   .. Why would you use this tuner?? As this engine is way beyond what this tuner is up to handle. You are removing all of the great features of the stock ecm to tune it half baked with tps vs rpm??

As for leak down you can check it where you want but without working with the pushrods you can only check at TDC.

Well best of luck with the build and data logging.  :2vrolijk_21:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »

Well unless your shop has done another of these builds as a twin your PV map is only a starting point. If you vary AFR too much ( rich or lean) the auto tune will not work very well ...Some time not at all in that given area,, until changes are made.

The map that was loaded is from a 117" cr, cams, TB, injectors, heads & pipe are really close, if not identical. Surely close enough for start-up / break-in and for the Auto-Tune to do its thing. The bike will have a rev limit of about 5k or so (due to the DD7) until the Maximus is installed.
'Most all of the AFR targets are 13.2 - 13.8 (give or take)

So that shop will warranty  engine's if they fail based on a auto tuner??  :nixweiss: with a PC-V tuner on something this large??

Other than detonation, what else is there?

What base cal is in bike??

The ECM is flashed back to stock 

seems an odd way to go being that the PC-V and the stock ECM do not even work together well One is speed density the other alpha N..   .. Why would you use this tuner??

'Have some close friends with well over 300k on 5 different H-Ds (all built) with 0 (related) issues... 

As this engine is way beyond what this tuner is up to handle. You are removing all of the great features of the stock ecm to tune it half baked with tps vs rpm??

If the (timing of) launch of the Maximus would have coincided better with (the completion of) this Build, we would have gone straight to the Maximus, since my timing was off, we will proceed as outlined in my post #143 and have some real world feed back on these different tuning products / strategies   

As for leak down you can check it where you want but without working with the pushrods you can only check at TDC.

Well best of luck with the build and data logging.  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for the insights!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:03 PM »

Afternoon Update;

The Bike is complete, heat cycled, and test ridden (1X).

Sounds Healthy  :bananarock: the motor is quiet so far!

'Have not posted the regular "Updates" because we are having Oil Pressure Issues (fluctuations) that are of concern :nervous:

No "Sumping", Gauge(s) Validated.

'Know that I promised feedback "Good, Bad or Ugly" but to be fair to all involved, I want to see how this "issue" plays out before I post in detail (and I will!)

'Some more "Street Time" tomorrow (as the Tech and the GM are off on Wednesdays)

Ed 

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »

well?? how is it going?? hoping you have some good news soon  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »

well?? how is it going?? hoping you have some good news soon  :nixweiss:

Finally picked up the bike on Friday 4/25/14, after the Tech had heat cycled, put 50 miles, changed the oil (dino) per S&S/Revolution Performance procedure(s).

'Operating the bike between 2300 and 3300 for 250 miles so far, no more than 30% throttle (if that).

The bike starts instantly hot or cold, (Power Commander V/Auto, The Map(that neither DJ or FM have) supplied by Oasis Cycles is spot on, the Trims are negligible).

The motor is quiet. The Oil Pressure is right where Feuling wants it.

All I can say is WOW! The bike carries effortlessly/revs deceptively quick (like the '06 Z06 Vette), the DD7 shifts like butter! The ratios of the DD7 are perfectly suited to the characteristics of the (T-Man 625s / 10.4-1) 117" motor, (I will wait to >500mi. for more throttle/rpm.)

I forgot to reset the trip odometer at my first fuel stop, to get an accurate tracking of fuel mileage, but will make sure that I do that today.

Everything seems to be playing very well together, the harmonics of the whole bike are definitely there :2vrolijk_21: The Bike is a lot smoother (in the seat, handle bars, floorboards) than I anticipated. Maybe due to the S&S .0005 Crank, the GlidePro Bushings or both?

The temps have been in the 70s, the heat off of the motor seems to be less than anticipated, maybe due to the PolyDyn Coatings on the V&H PowerDual Pipe/Roland Sands Mufflers, Revolution Performance Cylinders, or (probably) that I'm so excited = wishfull thinking on my part?

'At this time (break-in ~ >90mph) the bike doesn't feel stressed in any way, but the whole point of this exercise is durability / longevity in a "Sport Touring" Platform, we'll see, as we get some miles...   

For those of you at Thunder Beach, come on out to The Outpost and say Hello!

More later, I 'gotta' Ride :bananarock:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:07:31 PM by FlaHeatWave »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 22 queries.