Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91604 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

Evening Update;

875 miles so far. 2nd oil change (dino) at 700, oil looked great (still like honey, not very dark at all). Not one particle of metal on the drain plug or the CPS. No oil or residue in the intake or the air filter. 'Pulled the dipstick about every 100 miles and the level has not changed. No leaks or weeping.

Around 1700 miles will change to synthetic

Dipstick temps range from 215-252 (mostly around 220 ~ only once at 270 at very similar conditions ~ putting through the 'hood to the barn in the evenings, pull in the garage, idle for 15-20 seconds, shut down ~ makes me wonder how accurate the DS Gauge is :nixweiss:

Starts instantly hot or cold, always idles around 975-1k.

Checked fuel mileage 2x  32mpg & 36mpg

Motor, Primary, Clutch (stock clutch w/ SE HD Spring p/n 37951-98, flushed/bled), DD7, sound / feel good, pipes sound Great :bananarock:

'Curious to see how much service life that I can 'milk' out of the Clutch?

"The Ball & Chain" and I agree (she mentioned it first) there is a lot less ("noticed") heat from the right (exhaust) side. The PolyDyn Coatings seem to be really making a difference in our comfort level.

'Have been shifting through the middle gears, about 40-50% throttle at 4k on occasion. Tech told me to start twisting it some more :2vrolijk_21:.

'Will contact FuelMoto tomorrow for some PC-V / Auto "class101" with the laptop plugged in, to check things out and make adjustments if need be.

Very happy with the way everything is playing so well together, 'cannot imagine a better selection of components for the way I use this bike.

'Still waiting to see how Feuling accepts responsibility for the oil pressure (Cam Plate) issue before I post in detail...

Oh, 'almost forgot to mention... This thing is a Freakin' BLAST :bananarock:

I can see a road trip in the not too distant future...

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:55:36 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2014, 11:36:40 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »

Sounds like Ed is all smiles!  :huepfenjump3:
Most great stores start with a bad decision

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »

Evening Update; I know its been a while...but not everyplace on our travels had convenient Wi-Fi.

25,460 mi. on bike
5k mi. on Engine, DD7, GlidePro, <'14 Compensator   

Changed engine oil from Dino to Syn3 at 2,800 on engine (2,100 on oil) not using any oil, very little film at bottom of a/c backing plate, no drips, leaks or weeping. Oil Pressure(s) remain consistent. Tech (at Lowcountry HD in Charleston) said oil looked a little dirty.

Engine is purring, starts instantly cold or hot, after initial warm-up at 12-1,400 RPM, it settles in around 1k on its own. The PC-V / Auto and the Map from Oasis has been flawless, only requiring "zeroing" the 0% column AFR Targets to stabilize the idle at cold start.
Not one ping. 

Oil Temp (on the LCD dipstick) at shutdown still varying from the 230s to the high 250s with no particular rhyme or reason... Considering the Ward's Fans and fans for the oil cooler Any input on these are appreciated

'Have accepted trims on the PC-V / Auto 2 more times, Mileage has been improving, the last 12 -14 tanks of fuel, 2-up loaded (80+ to 95+ MPH) from Destin to Charleston, to Maggie Valley to Lawrenceburg, KY, Madison, IN and back, were all 39+ MPG, with a best of 42+. All is still quiet except in the morning, 1 lifter ticks for about 6-10 seconds on the initial start-up (I guess we'll try a pushrod adjustment unless somebody offers another suggestion??). Still has that "effortless power everywhere" feel ~ very little throttle opening required to run ahead of any traffic. 'Have only had it to 100% throttle in 4th and 5th several times and it's pulling well, shifting at only 5,200, there is plenty more ~ the top gear roll-on (2-up/loaded) from 80 is a freakin' blast from 3k to 4k like right now!!! burying the Speedo quickly :bananarock:

Trying not to fry the (stock / SE heavy duty spring) Clutch, which is working perfectly as far as engagement, no chatter, no noise, no slip. :nervous: 

If / when it does slip, is there anything out there that will give stock (or near stock) engagement feel, no chatter, and hold the 117 on a "Sport Touring" bike? No burnouts, but I would like to be able to go through the gears at the limiter on occasion. :nixweiss:

The DD7 is Super Sweet Shifting up or down, just a little notch going up into 7th  'Am going to change the Redline early for the first change or two, 'will have the boys at Oasis check it out as I'm heading up that way soon. 'Still really diggin' the way the ratios play with the T-Man 625s :2vrolijk_21:

Still have to get the Ventilator backing plate machined to match the SE 58 mm TB. 

Thinking about a catch can (even though no oil is coming out of the a/c even at sustained Interstate speeds) Does anybody that has run one (or installed on customer bike(s)) have any input, for or against?

Only one issue with the bike so far (other than the feuling Cam Plate  during the Build); Running around John's Island, SC on roads that I have "eluded their ass" in my youth, the 2nd time to full throttle in 4th gear the bike pulling to 5k then shuts down like it blew a fuse, (I'm chitting bricks at this point, praying that it's not anything mechanical :nervous:) bike would turn over, but no start, checked fuses, then on the hook to Lowcountry H-D (LCHD really took care of me ~ way above and beyond! ~ 'will post in the Vendor section soon)
'Ended up being the check ball hanging up in the fuel tank fitting ~ go figure :nixweiss: 'replaced tank fitting and fuel line, good to go so far (over 2k into the Smokies, and KY) :nervous:

'Replaced the front tire (19k on tire) with 2/32nds left, even wear, no issues. 'Really enjoying the Handling / Ride Quality of the H-D Premium Suspension / GlidePro (f&r). The GlidePro and going up to 41psi in the rear has actually reversed the scalloping in the rear tire :nixweiss:

The front end seems to get very light in the first 5 gears, even with the rear shocks set pretty firm ~ geez, I wonder what could be causing that... :confused5:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:54:34 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »

All is still quiet except in the morning, 1 lifter ticks for about 6-10 seconds on the initial start-up (I guess we'll try a pushrod adjustment unless somebody offers another suggestion??).

If your lifter just started developing a tick after many, many quiet miles, a pushrod adjustment will likely accomplish nothing.  If you can identify which lifter (stethoscope), I'd suggest you pull it, take it apart, clean the internals, put it back together and reinstall it.  Good chance you have a piece of crud or sludge (carbon sludge?) in the check valve seat.  If so, cleaning it will eliminate your tick.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »

If your lifter just started developing a tick after many, many quiet miles, a pushrod adjustment will likely accomplish nothing.  If you can identify which lifter (stethoscope), I'd suggest you pull it, take it apart, clean the internals, put it back together and reinstall it.  Good chance you have a piece of crud or sludge (carbon sludge?) in the check valve seat.  If so, cleaning it will eliminate your tick.   :2vrolijk_21:
sadunbar,

The S&S Premiums were totally quiet for a little over 2k (if that makes any difference?)

'Will try to isolate and clean...

Any thoughts on the catch can/puke tank?

Thanks!
Ed

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »

sadunbar,

The S&S Premiums were totally quiet for a little over 2k (if that makes any difference?)

'Will try to isolate and clean...

Any thoughts on the catch can/puke tank?

Thanks!
Ed

My memory is Neal had a pretty good catch can/puke tank setup on his previous bike.  (At least I think it was Neal...)  If it was him, he probably has a picture or two to share....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »

Considering the Ward's Fans and fans for the oil cooler Any input on these are appreciated

Check out the Big Sky oil cooler fans http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/id10.html.  Works great in stop-n-go/parade situations, easy to install, and great price.  I have these plus the Wards Part Werks cylinder head fans since I tour a lot in the summer heat plus tow a trailer.  If I knew then what I know now, and could only do one, it would be the oil cooler fans.  Just make sure you have room for them between the oil cooler and voltage regulator.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »

Ed, sure glad all is going well with the 117. Sure sounds like she is a runner

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »

Good to hear from you & that it's running well. About the oil in the AC I get a drop or two after I've been riding hard (4k+rpm) but if I ride it sanely never see any
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »

Ed, sure glad all is going well with the 117. Sure sounds like she is a runner

David, as you know from this thread, I wasn't chasing #s or wanting a real hot rod, just a durable, reliable, Sport Touring platform with longevity as the primary goal. We seem to have "backed in" to more emphasis on the "Sport" than we originally set out to do, only time (miles) will tell if we achieve our primary goal...

The drivetrain appears to be pretty efficient with the almost 40 MPG average (better than Stage I or Stage III)  from the first real road trip (2-up/loaded) with this combination.

Considering "all the cooks stirring this pot" and reading some of the horror stories of "botched Builds" I feel very fortunate (so far :nervous:) that we have had no other drama than the Feuling Cam Plate during final assembly (even though it's been a while, I still have hopes that Feuling is eventually going to do the right thing...)

I can only attribute the lack of drama to the Pride and Professionalism of the Vendors involved.

Many thanks to;

Heritage Cycles Harley Davidson of Ft. Walton Beach, FL.

Oasis Cycles of Brandon, MS

T-Man Performance of Kernersville, NC (congrats on your new Record :2vrolijk_21:)

And the great folks on the CVO Forum for steering me in the right direction!

David, When is your Granite S&S 124 going to be delivered ???

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »

Good to hear from you & that it's running well. About the oil in the AC I get a drop or two after I've been riding hard (4k+rpm) but if I ride it sanely never see any

fastfreddy!

So far I haven't got one drop yet...(hope I didn't jinx myself by saying this :nervous:)

'Gotta love those T-Man 625s :2vrolijk_21:

How do you like the Bandit Clutch compared to the stock Clutch??? (As far as, engagement feel, noise, chattering, etc...)

Thanks,
Ed

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »

fastfreddy!

So far I haven't got one drop yet...(hope I didn't jinx myself by saying this :nervous:)

'Gotta love those T-Man 625s :2vrolijk_21:

How do you like the Bandit Clutch compared to the stock Clutch??? (As far as, engagement feel, noise, chattering, etc...)

Thanks,
Ed
  mine had that AS clutch, i like it, it works alot better than the AS and no issues at all with it. better feel no chatter maybe a lill noise on decell but im use to it now  :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: . if you remember mine got a ruff start, it was on two different dynos and was ready for an oil change in first few days of life & thats probly why i get drip or two of oil. in 7k miles ive added maybe a 1/2 pint  :nixweiss: fuel mileage aint as good as your reporting but the thing runs geat
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »

mine had that AS clutch, i like it, it works alot better than the AS and no issues at all with it. better feel no chatter maybe a lill noise on decell but im use to it now  :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: . if you remember mine got a ruff start, it was on two different dynos and was ready for an oil change in first few days of life & thats probly why i get drip or two of oil. in 7k miles ive added maybe a 1/2 pint  :nixweiss: fuel mileage aint as good as your reporting but the thing runs geat

A 1/2 pint, or for that matter 1/2 quart, in 7k really isn't using any oil :nixweiss:

Yea, I was really surprised at the mileage. Maybe it's the DD7???

Thanks for the info on the clutch, it sounds like the Bandit is acting better for you, than the Barnett is acting for my friend w/ the S&S 124. He tells me that the Barnett is a bit noisy when starting out. 

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2014, 10:35:13 PM »

David, When is your Granite S&S 124 going to be delivered ???

Ed, I am hoping by the time the weather turns to cold to ride that I get one ordered and installed. Now if I can just stop life from dipping its hand in the bike money jar.

David
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 22 queries.