Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91614 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »

Afternoon Update;

'Just got back from Maggie Valley last night, a Great Trip, visited with some old friends, met some new friends. What an awesome group of individuals!!!

About 8,300 on the Build,

Changed all 3 fluids before the trip, Syn3, Formula+, Redline Shockproof, all looked good.

Had my Tech inspect the Primary with the thought of installing the Baker Manual Adjuster, told him if the chain was tight, we would try the Baker, if it wasn't we would let the OE ride. He said the tension was right in spec, not tight at all, so we stayed with OE. (The original chain probably has all the stretch out of it, and I am altering my habits slightly ~ minimizing de-acceleration until the bike is up to full operating temp) The <14 Compensator (the version before the newest one ~ installed during the Build) has been working as new, no noise or drama at any time.

Had a low speed squeak that was driving me crazy, and the week before MV found that the GlidePro Front Motor Mount had separated (installed at the Build) and was causing the Heatshield of the V&H PowerDuals to rub on the Floorboard Bracket. I contacted Jake and explained the issue and that I was on a short fuse since we already had reservations at MV. He expedited an "updated" set of Front & Rear Mounts (rears are fine so far) and a check for 1/2 of the labor (I just asked him to split it with me?) Due to I really like the way the GlidePro works for me (have them in the '05 SEEG also) and the Excellent Customer Service, I would use GlidePro again in a heartbeat :2vrolijk_21:

Installed the Big Sky Fans on the OE Oil Cooler (just before the trip). The installation was straightforward, just move the Voltage Regulator out of the way, mount the Fans, run the wire to the Aux Plug under the seat, run them off of the switch on the dash. Every time I checked the temp on the dipstick at shutdown (all conditions ~ Interstate / Mountain Twisties) the Gauge read 242-243.

Mileage on the trip was 40 on the Interstate, 37-39 in the Mountains, 2-up/loaded, with a best of 43.9 from MV to South of Atlanta (down hill ~ extra weight from all the good eats in MV!)

The 117/DD7 has been acting exactly the same as reported earlier, the Stock Clutch / SE Spring also working fine ~ no news is good news :nervous:

'Am in process of acquiring components for a Catch Can set-up.

'Had the original Battery checked before this trip, it checked ok, but I think I will try a Deka from Battery Mart. Any feedback is welcomed.

Anybody have any recommendations when to inspect the Cam Chest (preventative)???

Or any other recommendations???   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:16:54 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

wfolarry

• Vendor
« Reply #196 on: September 23, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »

Not as good as they were according to some:
http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,76751.0.html

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »

Not as good as they were according to some:
http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,76751.0.html

After reading the thread, it seems that the original battery in the '09 is one of the "new style" (if Eastern has made any changes to the HD/Deka mc batteries) and it's lasted 6 years...

I'm just looking for a cost effective alternative to the Harley prices...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »

Afternoon Update; 11,400 on the Build now.

Went to the Mountains again, the Lake Lure area, by way of St. Augustine, rolling solo with my Bud on his 124/DD7 Skunk (that thing's a friggin' Rocket on top end!) Then took "The Ball & Chain" to Biketoberfest for a few days... 44mpg solo and strollin', 35-37 in the Mtns. or town, 43 2-up / loaded cruising across the FL back roads to and from Daytona.

Bike running as before, all's quiet as it's ever been if not more so... Still moves / behaves / starts as before.

Had my Dealer install a new battery when the original was 6 years old to the day.

'Checked / accepted the trims on the PC-V / Auto, only a couple of "2s", one "7" (might be reversion at 2400 / light throttle??) and readjusted the AutoTune down from 50% to 20%, will run it at 20% for a little while, and if the trims are the same as the last time (or smaller) then I will adjust down to <10%. The bike has always been starting / running, in all conditions, the same as before (perfect to me) but it will allow a better "margin" if the A/T was to ever get corrupted.

'Lost track of the miles and went a little over 5k  :oops: on this oil change. The bike had used about a quart, the LED dipstick wasn't registering that low, 'gotta get off my lazy butt and check it properly from now on. We changed to Amsoil / K&N filter at my Bud's house in St Augustine, still on the exact same dipstick line after 750 mi.

I'm really liking the way the Big Sky Fans have stabilized the Temps! 'Have the BSF on the Auxiliary Switch, turn them on after a couple of warm-up miles, and leave 'em on until the motor is shut down. The Temps used to be all over the place 240-280 (Dipstick Gauge), now the Temps check at 242-244 under all conditions.

'Noticed a small weep line all the way across the Engine / Transmission joint, on the top, right behind the rear cylinder, will clean it tomorrow, keep an eye on it, see where the oil is actually coming from. No weeping or drama anywhere else.

'Still haven't got off my butt and installed the catch can. 'Not getting any drip when I put in <4 qts, 'Going with (2)1/4" lines instead of 3/8", should be big enough. 'Will do soon...

Asked Scott at the S&S display about their recommendations for Premium Lifter inspections after telling him that we're running the S&S Crank, Premium Lifters, & Roller Rockers, he said 25 maybe 30k miles. I also questioned him about their thoughts on the common lifter failures on the late model HDs, and he told me "valve spring pressures". Scott asked what springs I was running, and I told him whatever beehive springs T-Man put in for his 625s, Scott said "AV&V at 175lbs closed, you're good to go". It was also good to know that if I ever wanted to change from the Revolution Performance 4.125 Cylinders, the S&S Kit would drop right in...

'Have to replace the hose clamps on the heat shields of the V&H PowerDuals, a couple of them are repeatedly loosening up after a few thousand miles, so I may as well change them all...

After 25k on the Harley Premium Front and Rear Suspension, the ride is as smooth and stable as ever.

Rear tire scalloping is returning >:( tire has 6/32nds left, will make sure that we do a good bearing inspection as the bike should have around 40k then, or we will replace as a preventative measure after making sure that the new bearings have plenty of grease in them. When I asked the guy at the Michelin display about Commander IIs for the '09 he said; "The 19 front is coming soon, I haven't heard anything about the 18s front or rear".  :( I also asked how they determine when to produce a certain tire? He said that they use registration data.

As always, any suggestions are welcome :2vrolijk_21:       

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »

Seems to be performing well!   :drink:

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #200 on: October 22, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »

HEAT, good to hear its all working well for you!! BUT you gota stop telling me how good your fuel mileage is, lol my mileage kinda sux next to your reports? mine  is hanging in there tough, other than compensator & went back to the stock chain tensioner. thinking about a different pipe and an other dyno tune... if i dont trade, been trying to put a deal together on a 15 RGU  :nixweiss: 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:03 AM »

HEAT, good to hear its all working well for you!! BUT you gota stop telling me how good your fuel mileage is, lol my mileage kinda sux next to your reports? mine  is hanging in there tough, other than compensator & went back to the stock chain tensioner. thinking about a different pipe and an other dyno tune... if i dont trade, been trying to put a deal together on a 15 RGU  :nixweiss:

FAST, I know, I've been surprised at the #s myself! Filling the tank the same way, checking the mileage every fuel stop, is one way I'm monitoring Engine / Tune condition.  When we bore the backing plate to match the SE 58mm, install the Lockout, and set the Limiter to 6200, I suspect that the mileage will drop a bit, at least for awhile LOL!!

I feel that the way the DD7 is playing so well with the 625s is contributing to the efficiency. That and the 117 requires relatively small throttle openings to stay ahead of any traffic (except my Bud's 124/DD7 Skunk :nervous: ~ that thing's a friggin' Rocket on top!!)

Are you at 110 ci ?

What tensioner were you running?

Everybody that has the FullSac seems to be very happy, what pipe are you thinking about?

You have a sweet bike! With the #s you're making, a '15 seems to be a bit of a step back :nixweiss:

Keep us Posted...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:43:01 AM by FlaHeatWave »

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »

HEAT, its still @110 inch, the cyl.s were only cleaned up .005 over. im happy with the fullsac just thinking about a 2 into 1 and maybe a better TB, im still running the stock TB with a Tman clean up. like most always thinking it could be better if i just do this or that...its a sad case of more money than brains...for now , lol
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »

Afternoon Update;

A little over 12k on the Build, ('been putting more miles on the '05 SEEG (still my favorite motorcycle!!) recently, as the ESP expires soon and want to show any potential problems before expiration).

All is well (as noted before) with the Yellow Cruise Missile, except
the Redline Shockproof has developed a sudden leak that appears to be coming from the transmission output shaft (behind the pulley). I noticed a dime size spot last week that appeared to be dripping off of the inner primary, near the drain plug, 'got under the bike (on side stand) with a flash light and a mirror, couldn't really see the origin of the leak, pushed the bike back in the garage, and it sat for a few more days, then I noticed a dollar bill sized puddle, 'got back under the bike with the light and mirror and it is evidently coming from behind the pulley and dripping onto the belt on it's way to the inner primary :(

The DD7 Kit came with all new seals, as those of you know that have been following this thread the in service date for the Build was 4/14, the leak developed all of a sudden?

My school of thought is that if the seals were improperly installed, it would have leaked from day one (or very shortly thereafter)???

Two questions...

1) What could cause the leak to suddenly develop aroung 12k ??

2) Will the Redline (or any other tranny oil for that matter) degrade / cause a premature failure / significantly shorten the service life of the belt??
The original Belt has 32.5k on it.

As Always, any, and all help is greatly appreciated!!   

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »

Afternoon Update;

Output shaft seal leak repaired, just the seal going bad, the bearings and everything else looked good.

Tech said not to worry about oil on the belt causing premature degradation.

Will get the bike back next week (waiting on the Redline / Shockproof).

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »

Afternoon Update;

Output shaft seal leak repaired, just the seal going bad, the bearings and everything else looked good.

Tech said not to worry about oil on the belt causing premature degradation.

Will get the bike back next week (waiting on the Redline / Shockproof).

Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2015, 12:50:53 PM »

Afternoon Update;

Only 14.2k on the Build (been riding the '05 a good bit this winter). All is well as previously posted.

"The Ball & Chain" and I took the '09 for a little counterclockwise ride around Florida to The Keys and back last month. The bike performed flawlessly, used little to no oil since the last change.

'Finally got off my butt and ordered the Jaz Mini Catch Can, (from what I can tell, Jegs has the best price) I am going to run 2)1/4" hoses from the Ventilator to the Catch Can mounted (low) on the left front downtube. I know some are running 3/8" hoses, I just figured that 1/4 would be big enough since the breather tubes in the intake are aprox. 3/16"...

'Thinking of enhancing the Clutch, (not really slipping, but I want to explore some of the yet untapped potential of the drivetrain :bananarock:) A lot of folks are running and recommend the VPCs, but I am also considering just a heavier Spring (currently running the SE HD 380 lbs Spring) something like a 410 or 420 lbs Spring, I feel the stiffer lever pull will not be an issue for me. I just want something that will allow me to ride aggressive from time to time, and (most importantly) play well with the Hydraulic Clutch over the long haul... Running HD Formula+ in the Primary. 

Any ideas?? Pros and Cons??

Thanks as always!

In the 70s here today, 'gotta Ride...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:11:56 PM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #207 on: March 16, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »

Afternoon Update; 15,700 on the Build

"The Ball & Chain and I just got back from Daytona, weather was great!

We took Major Tom and Rob May for a little "private tour" of the Speedway...  :oops:

Bike running fine as previously posted! MPG, oil consumption, remain the same :bananarock:

Except;

The shift shaft (front of the primary) stripped out (35k on the bike). 'Was able to pull over at an exit and fix it without banging the gears or slipping the clutch :nervous:. Since it was the start of BikeWeek, I had the folks at Destination Daytona replace the shaft, lever and fasteners, my karma was great as there was no line at the Service Dept. :2vrolijk_21: I had the tools to do it, we were only at BikeWeek for a week, my  :drink: time was limited, and it was about time for an oil change,  so...

The friggin' compensator is starting to act up (15k) >:(. sometimes sneezing on a hot restart, sometimes a little noise until warmed up.

The Comp is not the newest Harley edition, the one just before the "14".

I'll probably try the new Baker Compensator, as I have been meaning to get up to Oasis anyway...

'Stopped by the Baker Display (they were set up only a few feet from my favorite Beer Babe at DD  ::)), told them how much I liked the DD7, and mentioned how it has always been a little notchy going into 7th, (doesn't bother me at all, I just wondered if they all do that?) James said no and told me to check a measurement on an adjustment nut? I figured Mark at Oasis would know?(gave me the specs) and said if it was out of spec then to set it right, if the measurement was in spec then they would send me a new DD7.
To say the least, I am very impressed with that kind of Customer Service :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:04:08 PM by FlaHeatWave »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2015, 01:46:37 AM »

Ride on,  Ed!  It's a beautiful bike! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »

Fla In response to your clutch I had the heavy spring in my 09 117 and had problems with it.Hard to find neutral and  creeping in first. Changed to a Rivera Primo  clutch and all is well.No problems with aggressive riding.It holds the power no slipping.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 22 queries.