Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91618 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

Bandit clutch units are a great option and have been a mainstay here for many years. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:14 PM »

Afternoon Update;
It's been almost 2 months since last Update, only 17k on the Build now. ('Been Riding The :cherry:)

Baby got some new shoes!
Emerald Coast Harley in Ft. Walton was (is?) running a tire sale, 2 OE Dunlops $408. OTD. :2vrolijk_21: The rear had 18k on it, 3/32nds, wearing the "Florida stripe", little to no scalloping, maybe thanks to The GlidePro, and 41psi? The front was wearing fine, only about 8k, but at this price, I wanted to get F&R in sync, since no ESP anymore. 'Asked my Tech (Sam did all the assembly on this Build) to take a good look at all the Wheel Bearings (36k). Sam said all the bearings were good as new (maybe these had grease from the Factory? :nervous:), recommended changing the rear pads (18k) 'said the pads had a bit left, but may as well do them now.

'Turned out I was being paranoid about the Compensator in the last Update, it only sneezed 3 times on hot restart at BikeWeek (Maybe the Atlantic air over in Daytona?  :nixweiss:), and has been perfect since. 'Asked Sam to take an extra listen for any noises, after a hot restart, post test ride, he said all was fine...

"The Ball & Chain" and I got caught in heavy traffic, riding with some Buds, at Thunder Beach, I was very pleased how the Build handled the heat  :2vrolijk_21: . While the other bikes (stock bikes +3 CVOs) around us were obviously overheating, the 117 didn't act / sound any different than it ever has, in any other conditions. The lower 1st Gear of the DD7 earned its keep in the stop & go! (the Clutch say, me like). Speaking of Clutch, I've heard nothing but good feedback on the Alto Plates, so we'll get around to trying them soon...

'Finally got all the components for the Ventilator Breather Catch Can (mini Jaz), going (2) 1/4" hoses to the Can mounted on the left frame downtube. If anybody thinks that 1/4" is not big enough, Please let me know? All suggestions are welcome!         

Fuel Mileage, Oil Consumption / Temp, Weeps, Leaks, Clutch, DD7, etc... along with everything else with the bike, are consistent as reported previously. (No news is good news!)

:bananarock: 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:16:37 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »

Runnin' hard, Ed!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »

Heat, good to hear all is well, about the same up here just waiting for monsoon season to get over. Got my fuel mileage Deal straitened out, all I can say it's hard to find good help/tuners, I'm ready for tires too wish some one around here would have sale like you dealer has, priced some out $550 plus tax ect ect
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »

Heat, good to hear all is well, about the same up here just waiting for monsoon season to get over. Got my fuel mileage Deal straitened out, all I can say it's hard to find good help/tuners, I'm ready for tires too wish some one around here would have sale like you dealer has, priced some out $550 plus tax ect ect

fast,
'Glad to hear you got your MPG straightened out :2vrolijk_21: Sometimes Dealers will run the sales unannounced, all one can do is call around, and hopefully get lucky...

Yea, I'm lucky to have Sam close by, he did / does an Outstanding Job on the mechanical / maintenance aspects of this Build! But he's busy at the Dealership, doing what he does, and can't compete with a Top Tier Tuner that specializes... Sam's the type of guy, that given the time to focus, he could be as good as anybody out there :2vrolijk_21:

I took that into consideration when selecting the PC-V/Auto, as my nearest Top Tier Tuner is Oasis Cycles 300mi, Doc is 400+... I wanted to make sure that all the Components we selected were "playing as planned" and not making 600-800mi. round trips, if (Component) changes were required...

While the PC-V/Auto (Oasis Map) has been perfect / drama free, so far, I'm still considering the Maximus, if for no other reason than real time monitoring of engine parameters on my "Infotainment System" (iPhone5 on a Kury Techmount, Bluetooth to the HK LMAO). Although I am concerned about trying to fix something that really isn't broke.  :nervous:

Peace Out, gotta replace a couple of toilets this afternoon...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »

chit eh?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »

chit eh?
Yea, "Her Highness" wants some new Thrones...

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2015, 02:31:47 AM »

As they do mate

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2015, 07:19:06 AM »

"If anybody thinks that 1/4" is not big enough, Please let me know? All suggestions are welcome!"

Big motors huff more stuff, I'd go 3/8".         
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »

Agree with Ridgerunr, I'd go bigger than 1/4"
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2015, 06:44:50 AM »

Rob's Dyno Service in Gardner, Mass, had a carbed, 124" RK on his drum about a week or so ago, that pushed 152 ft/lbs, sae.
In spite of his efforts, the fuel was spot-on as he said, even though the bored/Thunderjetted G carb had never been tuned. :D
Scott

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2015, 02:34:06 AM »

Evening Update, 20k mi. on the Build; I know it's been a while, but we have been spending time in / around the water trying to beat the summer heat.

I was playing with my new USB Borescope, it's a sweet little unit-HiDef camera, 6 LEDs, and the camera is mounted on the end of a wand with a plunger-similar to mechanic's fingers, that allows the camera to rotate up to 180* look all the way around the cylinder, and up at the cylinder heads.

'Looked at the Revolution Performance Nikasil Cylinder / Piston Kit (using no oil, well maybe 1 "X" on the dipstick between 5k oil changes :nervous:) 'Saw the usual amount of carbon in a good running HD, no degradation of the Nikasil Plating whatsoever, all the crosshatch was well defined, saw some vertical "heat?" marks evenly spaced around the Cylinders, along the studs, every bit of crosshatch was well defined-no "smearing" in the "heat?" marks. Since it's not using any oil I wasn't too concerned with the marks, and felt better when I described them to Sam (final assembly on this Build) and he told me, "I've never seen a Harley without 'em"...

The T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads looked fine too, no signs of leaking seats or hot spots.

This past June & July we rode in the Heat / Monsoons to KY, IN & TN for a few weeks.

The bike was flawless as before until I ran 3 cans of Seafoam (mixed 1 oz / gal. per Seafoam recommendation) through the gas tank. >4k mi. on the oil change from Bike Week at the time. On our way to the barn, after a full day of 100* heat / monsoons we decided to spend the night about 150 miles from home. The bike sounded fine when shut down for the night. The next morning the bike fired right up and had an S&S Premium Lifter making a racket for about 10 seconds or so (you know that 10 seconds seems like an eternity :nervous: :nervous:) before it pumped up. It had plenty of oil, the Feuling Pump / Plate had plenty of pressure, but the oil was the darkest (carbon black) I'd ever seen it and seemed pretty thin, which I attribute to the 3 cans of Seafoam doing its job (maybe too good, I won't use that much Seafoam at one time anymore, maybe 1-2 tanks just before an oil change), also I am going drop the oil change intervals closer to 4k mi. rather than closer to 5k mi..  Once the Lifter pumped up, all was quiet cruising / hot restarts for the remainder of the day...

After sitting for a month or so, I start the bike and the Lifter racket is there, I shut the bike off immediately. 'Figure I should change the oil, 'pull the spark plugs and hit the starter a few times to build oil pressure, reinstall the plugs, fire the bike (all quiet) to bring up to operating temp, changed oil / filter with Mobil1 / M1 Filter (30% off sale at PeP Boys :2vrolijk_21:, the M1 Filters are made by Champion Labs, same as HD Filters) all is quiet as before. 2 days later fire the bike, all quiet. The next day my Bud with the S&S 124HC / DD7 Skunk and I fly (a lot of triple digits :nervous:) the bikes 300 mi. to Oasis Cycles in Brandon, MS. Runs great, all quiet.

The next morning the S&S Premium Lifter taps 3 times...      To be continued...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:24:36 AM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2015, 11:59:29 PM »

Evening Update, 20,300 on the build;
The primary reason for the ride to Oasis was to inspect the Cam Chest (I'd planned on inspecting around 20-25k since the engine was built), and a few other things that I contemplated earlier in this Thread.

The inspection revealed that the Fueling Pump / Plate, T-Man 625 Cams, Zipper's Dual Hydraulic Tensioners, Torrington Cam Bearings, S&S Premium Lifters, SE Adjustable Pushrods, all looked great, as new really :2vrolijk_21: The Shoes on the Zipper's Tensioners showing very slight wear on the surfaces that the links ride (could barely feel with a fingernail, more of a mark than anything, the center of the chain was a ways from touching) the remainder of the components looked the same as out of the box, nary a witness mark anywhere :2vrolijk_21:.

The S&S Crank appears to have shifted :nervous: from .0005 to .0007 I guess it's still within spec, so we'll let it ride :coolblue:

So while I was wasting $$ on the inspection, and all the components looked so good that I will up the inspection interval up to 30 or 40k more miles (in absence of any drama-but then again if there is drama, it's not an inspection, we're going in to fix something lol) Due to my previous post, I figured that we would throw a fresh set of S&S Premium Lifters in while we were in there (save on labor), so when I walked over to ask Mark to put in a new set of S&S Lifters (on my dime) he happened to be on the phone with Scott from S&S (I could hear both sides of the conversation) basically; "I got a customer on a 117 with a lifter rattle on startup", "Are they Premiums?", "Yep", "Give him a new set", "Labor too?", "Yep"...

Needless to say, I was friggin' amazed that a Harley Aftermarket Company would stand behind their product like S&S does :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:. I've never seen anything close to this level of Customer Service in the Harley world...

S&S Rocks :bananarock: 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:16:09 PM by FlaHeatWave »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2015, 12:43:51 AM »

Evening Update, 24,000 on the Build;

At 20,300 'finally did some things I 'been ponderin' on... So there is roughly 3,700 on these mods.

Vented the Breathers (stock Ventilator) to ground, used 2) 1/8NPTx1/4" barbs, 2) 1/4" fuel lines routed around the front near the oil filter, then inside the frame, dumping just aft of the primary. Tapped the breather holes in the backing plate, set screws and Loctite. 'Haven't hooked up the Jaz Mini-Catch Can yet (lazy :nixweiss: no spots on the garage floor). I know some suggested 3/8 hose, 'figured since the holes in the backing plate were roughly 3/16, and that I was running 2 separate hoses, no "T" or "Y" that 1/4 would be big enough, it seems to be...
Only regret is not doing sooner...'Guess I'll have to start oiling the K&N Filter again...

Installed the AIM VP-95 Lockout (stock Clutch / SE HD Spring) before we left for Oasis (300mi), took 10 min. The clutch lever feels slightly stiffer >4k, not bothersome at all... Since we was doin' some inspectin' and not able to leave well enough alone  :nixweiss: I had Oasis install the Alto Carbonite Clutch Plates, that Alto gave me earlier this year to try out on the CVO Hydraulic Clutch. The Alto stack measured very close to the stock stack. The <'14 Compensator, Chain, stock Auto Adjuster, Basket, Plates, Bearings, etc all looked / felt fine, plenty of service life remaining on all Components (wasting more $ on inspections :nervous:). So back with the SE HD Spring, Formula+ and on to the Dyno Cell...

I know that to give true feedback, I should be evaluating these Clutch Component changes in an orderly fashion, but nobody ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer...

No slip detected on the latest & greatest DynoJet, no perceptible drag (the bike rolls backwards freely in 1st gear, even revving the engine), range of engagement is right in the middle of lever travel, friction zone is linear ~ perfect ~ the motorcops would love it, no grab, no shudder, no squawk ever, But (why does there always have to be a "But"??) neutral has become evasive :(, either stopped or rolling. I mentioned this to the Engineer at Alto, he sounded like he knew the exact cause of the evasive neutral, told me " A while back, we had a few (Carbonite Kits) get out the door with the Steels not being perfectly straight, I thought that was before I sent yours, nonetheless I will send you a new(er) Kit to try." The new Plates arrived the next day, 'haven't got to try them yet... 
And a clatter developed in the Primary after 3k mi. mostly after a cold start, then it goes away, sounds like the AIM Lockup, doesn't really sound like the Compensator :nixweiss:. The "clatter" is just a noise, it doesn't affect the operation or feel of the clutch / bike in any way. Due to phone difficulties, I wasn't able to speak with AIM, 'will try contacting again soon...

New plan of attack; change to the new Alto Plates (since Alto gave them to me, I will evaluate), go back with the SE HD Spring, no AIM lockout, if neutral is evasive, then back to stock plates + add AIM lockout, if neutral is good (w/Alto) but slips, then add AIM Lockout, somewhere in the mix I will try the OE Spring with the AIM Lockout (anybody got an OE Spring laying around??) Once we settle on the Plates to use, playing around with Springs / Lockout is only a 10 min. deal...

I know this sounds like a big ordeal with the clutch and all, but it's really not... Nowhere near the Nightmares I have seen my Buds go through with some of the hi-dollar aftermarket Clutches, and for that matter, the stock Rushmore Clutches too...

The Maximus is coming...                                                                            To be continued... 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:25:58 PM by FlaHeatWave »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »

Glad that build is still working great and you are still adding the miles. Maybe the rumors of weeping problems using the base gasket on the o-ring 110 case were just that...rumors.
Most great stores start with a bad decision
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 22 queries.