Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?  (Read 91615 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 113" / 117" Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2015, 04:31:30 PM »

Glad that build is still working great and you are still adding the miles. Maybe the rumors of weeping problems using the base gasket on the o-ring 110 case were just that...rumors.

Truth be known, for the first 500mi. there was a little film of oil just behind the rear cylinder, I asked Sam (Tech that did Final Assembly) about it. "It's common just after a motor has been assembled, some residual assembly lube". 'Kept an eye on it, no weeping for the next 15k+, since you brought it up today, I rubbed my finger back there and there was a little film of oil / dirt on my finger :(. If / when I have to pull the Heads / Cylinders, I would think that a little gasket sealant would take care of it...
So it's not just a rumor  :nervous:...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »

Heat, good things, so you had it on the dyno? what kind of numbers you come up with, just wondering. im also thinking of venting mine...had an issue awhile back, map sensor got coated with oil residue (there is a new part number for sensor also) and the thing was acting up when in the higher elevations. seems to be good now...   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »

Truth be known, for the first 500mi. there was a little film of oil just behind the rear cylinder, I asked Sam (Tech that did Final Assembly) about it. "It's common just after a motor has been assembled, some residual assembly lube". 'Kept an eye on it, no weeping for the next 15k+, since you brought it up today, I rubbed my finger back there and there was a little film of oil / dirt on my finger :(. If / when I have to pull the Heads / Cylinders, I would think that a little gasket sealant would take care of it...
So it's not just a rumor  :nervous:...

I have been considering changing the displacement of my 110 to a LC 124.   An option thrown out to me was to have the cases welded up and fly cut and just replace the studs.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »

Heat, good things, so you had it on the dyno? what kind of numbers you come up with, just wondering. im also thinking of venting mine...had an issue awhile back, map sensor got coated with oil residue (there is a new part number for sensor also) and the thing was acting up when in the higher elevations. seems to be good now...   

Evening Update, 24,000 on the Build; (No new miles since last Update, chasing termites at the house, and only get a day off when it's raining  :'( I'm just lucky like that...)

Fast,
In some of my previous posts, I considered changing Tuners from the PC-5 / Auto to the Techno Research Direct Link / Maximus, and a Dyno Tune, 'finally pulled the trigger...

'Don't have the sheets to post right now (Oasis Cycles going to send to me. along with the new Maximus by TechnoResearch)

The verbal I got (standing right there) ; 115hp / 127tq, 120+ ft/lbs from 2,200 to 5,200, start falling off at 5,900, limiter 6,250

Comparison (My Bud's Skunk also with a DD7) on the same Dyno 10min. later, S&S 124HC, HPI 58, Powervision, S&S Pipe / Slip-ons;  120hp/132tq

I was very happy with the PC-5 / Auto except for the limiter being set around 5,500 (something about the '09 ECM) and wanted the cruise control to operate in < 7th gear of the DD7, the power above 5k could use some improvement, and wanted the ability to monitor engine sensors in real time, tweek the Tune, on the phone via Bluetooth (features of the Maximus). So while we were up at Oasis, I asked Mark (he supplied the great running MAP for the PC-5 that neither FuelMoto or DynoJet had) to throw the '09 on their new latest & greatest DynoJet...

When the Tuning session was finished, Mark said to test ride, (couldn't really hammer it due to wet roads), one thing I did notice is that the bike didn't seem to be quite as responsive accelerating in lower throttle positions from 2,400-2,900 from 3rd gear on up as it was with the PC-5, asked Mark to ride when he was hopping off the test ride of my Bud's 124/DD7 Skunk, "This thing is pulling everywhere!". Now don't get me wrong, the bike's not falling on its face here, just doesn't feel as crisp as it did. Mark did mention that the gas mileage was going to drop at 85+, "I know how you guys roll and want to be safe (on the Tune)". Monitoring gas consumption like I do, the mileage at "cruising altitude" (85++) has dropped from 41-42 to 32. around town / playing dropped a little bit from 35-38 to 33-37.  Starts instantly cold, at 1150-1200 then idles right down to 1k, hot restart, instantly jumps to 1600-1700 and takes 5-9 seconds to return to idle. As before, no (audible) ping. Now the good part... The bike pulls harder than ever from 5-6k from 3rd gear on up, my Bud with the Skunk and I went ballistic on a few onramps on our way back to Florida, winding out 3rd, 4th, & 5th gears, merging onto I-10 at well over the ton... :nervous: :nervous:

While I expected the #s to be better, the back to back Dyno comparison with the 124HC seems to be right on the money, during our onramp shenanigans, the bikes were literally neck and neck...

Mark said that he could easily rectify the high idle at hot start issue and add a little timing in the 2400-2900 partial throttle ranges, and get back some if not all of the fuel mileage (he strongly recommended against leaning it out too much). He could either install the changes when Oasis sends the Maximus, or email them to me, to install with the Maximus. 'Thought about it, and decided to wait until the Maximus is up and running on the '09, so that cylinder head / oil temps can be monitored real time for some miles, at least an oil change, ('have a Dakota Digital Oil Temp Gauge to install). 'Want to correlate what is seen on the Dyno, with on the road. In my eyes, there are still a couple of variables in play, for the hot start fast idle, waiting to see if the change of seasons has any effect?, for the partial throttle responsiveness, we just removed the V&H Throttle Pak (throttle blade control amplifier), will check the Throttle Blade Control settings with Maximus, or some spark knock was detected on the Dyno that was inaudible to me? (I'm doubtful on the spark knock, as the T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads and Revolution Performance Cylinders / Piston Crowns looked really good through the Borescope, no signs of detonation ~ one thing I regret not doing while the V&H PowerDuals were off for the Cam Chest inspection was scoping the back of the exhaust valves). 

From the inception, Mark knew that longevity in a "Sport Touring" Build was the primary target, I'm sure his Tune is inline with this goal. He did mention that the CHTs he was reading on the DynoJet were very much on the low end of what he usually sees... Also that the small baffels of the Roland Sands Design Slip-ons were probably holding down the HP a bit, but helping the TQ to come in sooner...

Unbalanced,
I had no idea that you have anything with a stock displacement  :nixweiss:
After meeting you at MV, I figured even your weed eater had a "kit" in it  :huepfenlol2:.
When the Cases were bored for the Revolution Performance 4.125 Cylinders about 1/2 of the o-ring groove remained, I don't see why a little Permatex in that area wouldn't prevent any weeping?? Seems like welding / decking the Cases is a bit of overkill? Oh wait...I forgot who I was talking to...Nevermind...LMAO

to be continued... 

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:58:29 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »

Evening Update, 24,000 on the Build; (No new miles since last Update, chasing termites at the house, and only get a day off when it's raining  :'( I'm just lucky like that...)

Fast,
In some of my previous posts, I considered changing Tuners from the PC-5 / Auto to the Techno Research Direct Link / Maximus, and a Dyno Tune, 'finally pulled the trigger...

'Don't have the sheets to post right now (Oasis Cycles going to send to me. along with the new Maximus by TechnoResearch)

The verbal I got (standing right there) ; 115hp / 127tq, 120+ ft/lbs from 2,200 to 5,200, start falling off at 5,900, limiter 6,250

Comparison (My Bud's Skunk also with a DD7) on the same Dyno 10min. later, S&S 124HC, HPI 58, Powervision, S&S Pipe / Slip-ons;  120hp/132tq

I was very happy with the PC-5 / Auto except for the limiter being set around 5,500 (something about the '09 ECM) and wanted the cruise control to operate in < 7th gear of the DD7, the power above 5k could use some improvement, and wanted the ability to monitor engine sensors in real time, tweek the Tune, on the phone via Bluetooth (features of the Maximus). So while we were up at Oasis, I asked Mark (he supplied the great running MAP for the PC-5 that neither FuelMoto or DynoJet had) to throw the '09 on their new latest & greatest DynoJet...

When the Tuning session was finished, Mark said to test ride, (couldn't really hammer it due to wet roads), one thing I did notice is that the bike didn't seem to be quite as responsive accelerating in lower throttle positions from 2,400-2,900 from 3rd gear on up as it was with the PC-5, asked Mark to ride when he was hopping off the test ride of my Bud's 124/DD7 Skunk, "This thing is pulling everywhere!". Now don't get me wrong, the bike's not falling on its face here, just doesn't feel as crisp as it did. Mark did mention that the gas mileage was going to drop at 85+, "I know how you guys roll and want to be safe (on the Tune)". Monitoring gas consumption like I do, the mileage at "cruising altitude" (85++) has dropped from 41-42 to 32. around town / playing dropped a little bit from 35-38 to 33-37.  Starts instantly cold, at 1150-1200 then idles right down to 1k, hot restart, instantly jumps to 1600-1700 and takes 5-9 seconds to return to idle. As before, no (audible) ping. Now the good part... The bike pulls harder than ever from 5-6k from 3rd gear on up, my Bud with the Skunk and I went ballistic on a few onramps on our way back to Florida, winding out 3rd, 4th, & 5th gears, merging onto I-10 at well over the ton... :nervous: :nervous:

While I expected the #s to be better, the back to back Dyno comparison with the 124HC seems to be right on the money, during our onramp shenanigans, the bikes were literally neck and neck...

Mark said that he could easily rectify the high idle at hot start issue and add a little timing in the 2400-2900 partial throttle ranges, and get back some if not all of the fuel mileage (he strongly recommended against leaning it out too much). He could either install the changes when Oasis sends the Maximus, or email them to me, to install with the Maximus. 'Thought about it, and decided to wait until the Maximus is up and running on the '09, so that cylinder head / oil temps can be monitored real time for some miles, at least an oil change, ('have a Dakota Digital Oil Temp Gauge to install). 'Want to correlate what is seen on the Dyno, with on the road. In my eyes, there are still a couple of variables in play, for the hot start fast idle, waiting to see if the change of seasons has any effect?, for the partial throttle responsiveness, we just removed the V&H Throttle Pak (throttle blade control amplifier), will check the Throttle Blade Control settings with Maximus, or some spark knock was detected on the Dyno that was inaudible to me? (I'm doubtful on the spark knock, as the T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads and Revolution Performance Cylinders / Piston Crowns looked really good through the Borescope, no signs of detonation ~ one thing I regret not doing while the V&H PowerDuals were off for the Cam Chest inspection was scoping the back of the exhaust valves). 

From the inception, Mark knew that longevity in a "Sport Touring" Build was the primary target, I'm sure his Tune is inline with this goal. He did mention that the CHTs he was reading on the DynoJet were very much on the low end of what he usually sees... Also that the small baffels of the Roland Sands Design Slip-ons were probably holding down the HP a bit, but helping the TQ to come in sooner...

Unbalanced,
I had no idea that you have anything with a stock displacement  :nixweiss:
After meeting you at MV, I figured even your weed eater had a "kit" in it  :huepfenlol2:.
When the Cases were bored for the Revolution Performance 4.125 Cylinders about 1/2 of the o-ring groove remained, I don't see why a little Permatex in that area wouldn't prevent any weeping?? Seems like welding / decking the Cases is a bit of overkill? Oh wait...I forgot who I was talking to...Nevermind...LMAO

to be continued...

Hey now dun be picking on me for doing the project the right way.   
Around here Stock is a very elusive term and means different things to different folks.   Especially true when you throw in the WV entourage.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2015, 10:10:29 PM »

I believe stock is defined as a mininum of 4 OEM parts still on OEM frame.  Jiffy stand, front fender, fuel tank, mirror....yep she's stock!

JW

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2015, 01:06:26 AM »

I believe stock is defined as a mininum of 4 OEM parts still on OEM frame.  Jiffy stand, front fender, fuel tank, mirror....yep she's stock!

JW

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2015, 07:22:08 AM »

JW

Just don't say it out loud, lol :soapbox:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »

JW

Front fender and mirror?  Good grief!

(does just one mirror qualify or do you need both?)

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »

JW

If that's stock, what is superstock??  :nixweiss:

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »

Superstock allows for reduced weight............ fender can be plastic and no wheel weights. :nervous:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

OEM seat I think

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: 113&quot; / 117&quot; Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »

Front fender and mirror?  Good grief!

(does just one mirror qualify or do you need both?)
Damn!! I've already changed both of my mirrors
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

Re: 113&quot; / 117&quot; Build, Am I headed in the right direction?
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »

Damn!! I've already changed both of my mirrors

Than you sir have a highly modified motosickle   :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »

Morning Update; 25,000 mi. on the Build; only about 1,000 mi. since last Update...

'Know it's been a while, still chasing termites (off & on), and putting miles on the  :cherry: when I get a chance to ride...

'Got to admit I've been getting a little "drop-in envy" as of late with the new Harley 117 Cylinder Kit, but I'm not losing any sleep over it as "We felt we were using the best Components available at the time" it's good (for us consumers) to see technological advances being made :2vrolijk_21:

The whole bike is still running Great as previously posted! The Revolution Performance Nikasils / T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads not using any oil between 4-5k oil changes... still small weeping at the base gaskets :(

Speaking of oil changes... From the outset, Sam (final assembly) recommended 3k for oil changes, I figured that since the bike was running cool (220s on the HD led dipstick ~ which has crapped out for the 2nd time by the way), low CHTs on the dyno, no short hops, oil still has some clarity at 4+k, that I could get away with 4-5k intervals... Well after running the Build for 25k now, I've decided to shorten the intervals to 3-3.5k now... 'Have used Syn3 (Dealer), Mobil1 V-Twin (me) and Redline 20-60 V-Twin (Oasis) and I've noticed that around 4k the motor seems to be getting louder, change the oil and it quiets right down (to me :nixweiss:) until about 4k mi... Not very scientific, I know, but going to shorten the intervals anyway...

Venting Breathers to the ground; ended up with 2) 1/4" fuel line hoses, great mod, wish I'd done it sooner, still haven't got around to mounting the Mini Jaz Catch Can, (my old fat butt is wanting to put the bike on a lift to fit it up properly). Went to change the Formula+ in the Primary yesterday, so we did a short 5-6 mi. hop to get up to operating temp, letting the bike idle back in the garage, I just noticed 1-2 drops of crystal clear fluid when I was under the bike :2vrolijk_21:

The Clutch; As previously posted, about 5k mi. ago we installed the AIM VPC-95, Alto Carbonite 095750NC Clutch Plates,  the SE HD Spring went back in, and 45 oz of HD Formula+ (dry Primary). As previously, the Clutch has been a perfect "motor cop would love it, absolutely no slip Clutch" but (there's always gotta be a "but" :nervous:) for the evasive neutral. In Reply #223, I was ponderin' some different scenarios to get neutral back to where it should be, try this, try that, Alto sent me a new set of Plates, to try (due to possible production issues), haven't got around to that either :nixweiss: . I was getting kind of used to the evasive neutral  :-\, but I figured I would change out the Formula+ before riding to Daytona this week... So up to operating temp, drained the "black as sin" Primary Oil, (Carbonite Plates?), just minute fuzz on the drain plug magnet, not enough to cover the magnet halfway,  not really fuzz, more of a paste when rubbing between my fingers :2vrolijk_21:. Instead of going back with the Factory recommended 38oz (wet Primary), figured I'd just drop in a QT of Formula+ and give it a go...

I'm amazed! NEUTRAL IS BACK :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: to where it should be, rolling / stopped, 1st or 2nd!! 'Can actually feel the detent in the DD7 again. Less clunk going into 1st (when not holding the lever in 30 seconds or so)   

No witness marks on the Primary or Derby Cover from the AIM VP-95...

So with neutral not playing hide 'n seek anymore, I feel this is an ideal / no PMS combination for the CVO juice Clutch :bananarock: Time will tell...

Will continue to keep an ear on the <14 Compensator, to see if the 6OZ less fluid causes any accelerated issues, but (I like this one :2vrolijk_21:) at 25k mi. I'm already way ahead of the game here... 

I expect this set-up will get "thoroughly tested" riding down with Major Tom, trying to keep up with some of The Hillbilly Rocket Riders and 2 of my Skunk Buds, 1 w/ S&S 124, and the other w/120ST around BikeWeek :nervous:

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:00:21 PM by FlaHeatWave »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 22 queries.