Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: odd sounds from engine  (Read 1038 times)

Danny_G

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
odd sounds from engine
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »

ok, so the wife and I are out on a three hour ride today, and I notice a few things about my new-used cvo ultra.  first, its a top heavy b!1ch that is really frickin heavy to stand back up after you let it tip over in the parking lot.  my foot slipped on gravel while backing into a parking spot, and over I went.  luckily it set down on the crash bars so nothing injured other than my pride...and maybe a few sore muscles tomorrow morning.  (Note to self, "you know better, dumbass, watch where you put your feet"!)

next thing I notice is what appears to be a lot of valve/lifter noise from the engine when running in the 2000 - 2500 rpm range.  under acceleration it was negligible, and at hiway speed it was gone.  but when in that rpm range it sounded like a blacksmiths convention.  my experience with other bikes tells me that some noise in some ranges is to be expected, so the questions begin: is this normal?  is this rpm range susceptible to lifter/valve train slop?  has anyone else experienced this?  or am I about to test the limits of my extended warranty?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Cheers!

Danny G
Danny G
'09 Ultra Classic CVO
'00 VL1500 LC

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Re: odd sounds from engine
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »

Only by changing the entire valve train on my 2010 CVO Ultra did I finally got a reprieve on the engine noise. And no, it's not normal.  Gotta start with changing the lifters to some S&S premium's, and changing the cam bearings. Inspect the wear on the cams, run out on the crank and wear on your oil pump. Then start replacing things.  Mine runs as quiet as a 98 now. LOL.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »

I had the same "chatter" from 2k to 2.5k rpm easy throttle.

Changed cams (Feuling 574) lifters (S&S) and pushrods (adjustable S&S).

Eliminated the chatter.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Danny_G

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »

Thanks, guys, I'm heading off to the dealer this week to discuss the valve train noise and extended warranty coverage's.  The noise is a bit much, but otherwise, I have no complaints.  The 110" has gobs of power and at speed the ultra is surprisingly nimble for a full dress motorcycle. 

I'll let you know what the dealer has to say...

cheers!

Dan
Danny G
'09 Ultra Classic CVO
'00 VL1500 LC

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »

my guess the dealer will say "it's normal"...and it's not.
the 110" is know to chew up the crappy OEM lifters.  Change them out along with the cam bearings.  Might as well do cam while you're at it.  a failed lifter can grenade an engine...many here know from experience
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:18:30 AM »

If you have the extended warranty you can't change cams, and the warrant won't change lifters unless they fail.

You can change lifters but the warranty won't kick in unless they are actually bad

In recent years the esp folks seem to have become stern over mods

To

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:27:22 AM »

S&S lifters loaded to .140"-.150" quite down the "normal" noise.
Scott

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:57 AM »

I have S&S premiums as of last week. That took care of the clacking I had at about 2800-3200 rpm's, however, there is still some noise and I don't mind that since I am sitting on top of a 110" motor and I know those junk made in mexico OEM lifters are gone!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:00:22 AM »

I have S&S premiums as of last week. That took care of the clacking I had at about 2800-3200 rpm's, however, there is still some noise and I don't mind that since I am sitting on top of a 110" motor and I know those junk made in mexico OEM lifters are gone!
X2

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 23 queries.