Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2014 SE 110 Break-In Question  (Read 4256 times)

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
2014 SE 110 Break-In Question
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »

Ok here's the deal I have a friend that has a New 2014 CVO Limited sitting at his house with eight miles ,,,,According to the latest Issue of American Iron Magazine you should Not use Synthetic Oil when Breaking in a New Engine.

Would he be better off to Dump the Synthetic and use Dino oil ???

And if so please let Me/Us know why??

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: 2014 SE 110 Break-In Question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »

I don't think the Motor Company would send a bike out from the factory with Syn3 from the git go if they thought it would do harm.

I'd say ride it the first thousand miles and swap it out for the HD360 then.  But that's just me.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »

Ok here's the deal I have a friend that has a New 2014 CVO Limited sitting at his house with eight miles ,,,,According to the latest Issue of American Iron Magazine you should Not use Synthetic Oil when Breaking in a New Engine.

Would he be better off to Dump the Synthetic and use Dino oil ???

And if so please let Me/Us know why??

Anyone who believes the BS that rag puts out deserves to be misinformed.  I cancelled my subscription years ago.

There is absolutely NO TRUTH to the idea that you can't or shouldn't run synthetic motor oil from day one in a modern engine.  Many manufacturers now use synthetic oil as factory fill, and if it was going to cause a problem you can bet they wouldn't do so on an engine they warrant for as much as five years in some cases.  Harley has been using SYN3 as factory fill in all CVO's going back a decade at least.  There has been no evidence presented showing it has caused any problems, but it has helped prevent problems by protecting the excessively hot engines due to it's higher thermal stability.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »

Hi all, whilst not being an expert myself, I am able to read and understand what I am reading, and it appears to me that if you read most the up to date theories regarding engine break in, not only is it bad practise to use a synthetic oil (with built in friction reducers) in a new engine but it is also not a good idea to nanny it like an old lady, at least for the first 100 miles.
The only parts that need to bed in are the piston rings to cylinder walls, and that will be 99% complete in the first 50-100 miles, and in that time you need to work the engine with progressively harder and harder pulls through the rev range.
Will doing otherwise damage the engine? Not as such but you will get a poorer piston ring to cylinder wall fit, which will ,mean that you will get combustion gases getting past the rings, causing burning to piston skirts and quicker oil contamination and of course decreased compression.
As I said at the beginning of this post I am not an expert, but I can read, I would suggest that some of your do some research on the internet its all there in black and white.
Ride safe.
WHUFC   COYI

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »

WTF?  AFAIK, all CVO bikes come from the factory with SYN3 already in them and have ever since HD came out with the blend. These engines are already broken in to some extent. At least the rings are seated but there is still some wear in left to be done on bearings and bushings throughout the engine and valve seats and seals. These engines have already been started and run to redline or near to it before they ever leave the factory. Tell your buddy to ride it like he stole it and change the oil at 500 miles. I use Amsoil or Mobil 1 but any good full synthetic that is made for air cooled engines is OK including the over priced MOCO oil.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »

IMO, maybe you shouldn't dump the dino oil in a "new" engine and swap it for synthetic until you put a few (100-500 miles?) miles it... But there is no way I'm going to dump the Syn3 the factory put in a 110 engine straight out of the gate. So, I think you should not worry about it and trust the "right" oil is already in the bike. GO RIDE !  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:58:46 AM by RoadMonkey »
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »

My builder used non synthetic oil for the first 100km  He broke the bike in him self, 2 heat cycles in the shop, then started with gentle roll on's ( 3 to 4 gentle ones ) on the highway. Then ramped up the roll on's until the bike pulled from around 3000rpm to 6000rpm. All in all took about one hour and 100km. Back to the shop and a oil and filter change back to non synthetic. Rode 1000km on regular oil and then changed to full synthetic Amzoil.  ( and a dyno shtine )

He has done it this way for many many builds with great compression results and no oil burning to speak of.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »

Maybe HD use of Syn3 from the factory is causing all of the issues with the 110's.   :o :D

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »

:-\
"Anyone who believes the BS that rag puts out deserves to be misinformed.  I cancelled my subscription years ago."

Having subscribed to various Bike Mags since the late 60's,  I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of some good info versus some bad info from those sources.  Of course,  in most any of them, you're going to get an article here or there that might not seem to be valid per your (previous experience).

Over all,  the info from American Iron that I have read for several years now,  has been for the most part fairly accurate and valid.  As yet again,  we have a scenario of "different strokes for different people".

When it comes to oil,  the opinions run the gamet......................Meaning they vary wildly. ::) 

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »

:cherry:
As a (P.S.),  I totally agree with ("the grouchy guy") as to syn. oil being OK to use right up front in a new engine as being provided by the dealer or manufacturer.  As I recall,  the last few years of Vettes,  have come right out of the factory door with the crankcase loaded with syn oil. :drink:

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

And on a side note, synthetic was "evil" in HD's book until syn3 came out.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »

:cherry:
As a (P.S.),  I totally agree with ("the grouchy guy") as to syn. oil being OK to use right up front in a new engine as being provided by the dealer or manufacturer.  As I recall,  the last few years of Vettes,  have come right out of the factory door with the crankcase loaded with syn oil. :drink:

As do Mercedes, Ferrari, Cadillac, Porsche and virtually every other high end/performance automotive manufacturer...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »

As do Mercedes, Ferrari, Cadillac, Porsche and virtually every other high end/performance automotive manufacturer...   :2vrolijk_21:

Are all the above Air Cooled Motors?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:52:32 PM »

Of course, my comment was in reference to moscooter's comment about Corvettes, although I don't think the oil cares much...

(Yeah, I know...  I know better, never comment in an oil related thread.)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »

Actually, yes they are.  Air is blown through a heat exchanger to cool a liquid that in turn is pumped through the engine to cool the parts.  So the cooling system is in fact dependent on air. ;)

Use of a good synthetic is actually more beneficial in an air cooled engine that it is in one of those air/water cooled automotive engines btw.  A Harley runs hottest during the first few hundred miles, and synthetics outperform dino oils and provide superior protection when it comes to high temperatures.  An automotive cooling system controls operating temperatures MUCH better than the Harley air cooled engines and thus has less need for that particular attribute.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.