Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bent Frame - What are my options???  (Read 8898 times)

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited, FLHTKSE
Bent Frame - What are my options???
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »

Had an accident last Saturday with a distracted female with two kids in the car. To make a long story short she ended up in my lane and headed right for me. I quickly made an evasive maneuver and my highway peg mounted on the engine guard hit her left front tire going around 20 MPH. The impact pushed me to the right and I thought I was headed over. Then she hit my saddlebag and caused me to fishtail to the left which enabled me to bring it to a stop without going over. The highway peg rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. After getting a traffic report and exchanging information we continued home as it seemed to drive okay. When I got it home I jacked it up on my hydraulic stand and tried to conduct a preliminary assessment of any damage. The enclosed picture details a measurement I made using a plumb bob from three reference points on the frame. As you can see the left side is about 1/4" longer than the right side. Anyone have any idea what the frame tolerance is, and if the 1/4" difference is within specification or is it excessive? Also, any idea on my options for repair based on previous experience or first hand knowledge?
Thanks!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Bent Frame - What are my options???
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »

I'd be contacting her (& my) insurance company ASAP... also would be taking it to a dealer and let them determine if the bike is totaled or not. You've got a brand new bike (MY '14) if it's totaled get you another and be done w/the old one.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »

Yes, contacted the insurance company and filed a claim. He said to take it in on Tuesday. I didn't want to take it in without at least having an idea if I have a potential problem. I bought it last March and have 2000 miles on it. Almost had it to where I wanted it as far as mods are concerned...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »

Yes, contacted the insurance company and filed a claim. He said to take it in on Tuesday. I didn't want to take it in without at least having an idea if I have a potential problem. I bought it last March and have 2000 miles on it. Almost had it to where I wanted it as far as mods are concerned...
Any undamaged mods I'd be removing them and returning it to stock so if they do total it you don't have to repurchase those mods. Not sure what the MoCo spec's are for determining what a bent frame would total the bike but if it were mine and the measurements were off I'd want them to total it (especially as new as your bike is)... no telling what "gremlin's" will turn up down the road because if the frame no longer being true (if it in fact came from the factory true). :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »

If the frame is the only significant damage there's a possability that they'll not total it but instead, just replace the frame.  I've seen it go both ways, depending on the amount of other damage (known or unknown to you).  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

King2013

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:41:14 PM »

Insurance company totaled mine and the reason the adjuster gave me was the forks were bent and the gas tank was dented.  He said those 2 things alone were enough to warrant it being  totaled.
I would want it totaled regardless.
Good luck.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »

Insurance company totaled mine and the reason the adjuster gave me was the forks were bent and the gas tank was dented.  He said those 2 things alone were enough to warrant it being  totaled.
I would want it totaled regardless.
Good luck.

I think that adjuster was smoking something other than tobacco.  The cost of a new fuel tank and new forks would not come close to justifying totaling a $30k motorcycle.  I think there was more involved than just those two items.

There was a time when they would straighten frames, just like they do on cars.  For whatever reason, these days they either replace the frame or total the bike if there is significant damage to other parts.  Considering the typical Harley dealership's talent pool, I'd hope for a total versus replacing the frame.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »

Glad you got away with no major injury.  Your undies might be totaled, tho.  Mine would've been.  I was rear ended by a car full of 18 year olds last year.  As hard as it was hit, I thought for sure the frame was bent, but it wasn't.  $11,000 worth of cosmetic repairs and a broken foot turned out to be a costly mistake for the kid who hit me.  He had no insurance, of course.

glad you're okay!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »

First off, sorry to hear about your very unfortunate incident... Hopefully you are not hurt as bikes get repaired much easier than riders!

Not sure how things work where you are, but here in Ontario if the frame is bent even a little, the insurance companies will normally write it off.

I agree with Fired00d - if it was mine I would want them to write it off for a couple of reason right off the bat... For long term safety and for resale value as I'm sure you would have to disclose any accidents when you go to sell the bike or trade it.  Just my thoughts.

Good luck with it.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »

My wife and I were riding together. Fortunately neither of us were injured. The car couldn't have missed our left legs by more than an inch or two, and for that we are thankful.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »

My wife and I were riding together. Fortunately neither of us were injured. The car couldn't have missed our left legs by more than an inch or two, and for that we are thankful.

Wow!  No kidding.

An angel was looking over you two for sure.

Hope everything works out for you.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »

Had an accident last Saturday with a distracted female with two kids in the car. To make a long story short she ended up in my lane and headed right for me. I quickly made an evasive maneuver and my highway peg mounted on the engine guard hit her left front tire going around 20 MPH. The impact pushed me to the right and I thought I was headed over. Then she hit my saddlebag and caused me to fishtail to the left which enabled me to bring it to a stop without going over. The highway peg rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. After getting a traffic report and exchanging information we continued home as it seemed to drive okay. When I got it home I jacked it up on my hydraulic stand and tried to conduct a preliminary assessment of any damage. The enclosed picture details a measurement I made using a plumb bob from three reference points on the frame. As you can see the left side is about 1/4" longer than the right side. Anyone have any idea what the frame tolerance is, and if the 1/4" difference is within specification or is it excessive? Also, any idea on my options for repair based on previous experience or first hand knowledge?
Thanks!

Quite honestly, I think a more pertinent measurement would be from the neck to the swing arm mounting holes.  If your frame neck has a twist (the most common frame ailment after a collision), it will cause your bike to no longer track straight.   ;)

And, I'd want to be present while a "dealership technician" inspects your frame for the insurance company.  I can't imagine how some might perform the inspection...   :nervous:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:11:44 AM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »

I think I am close to making the measurement you are recommending. By the way, Harley should get an award for being able to cram ten pounds of fertilizer into a five pound bag. I used a plum bob to mark the floor from the top bolt that attaches the engine guard to the frame (located in the center of the frame by the neck) and from the two bolts that are next to the swing arm mounting holes (that's the red triangle in my drawing that was measured on my garage floor). I made sure that the bolts next to the swing arm were exactly the same height from the floor. My floor jack was sagging a little from the weight so I couldn't ensure the motorcycle was perfectly level but since I was only measuring to one point on the front, any leveling error would result in a small arc on the floor. I don't really care what the exact distance is, I only care if the distances from the back two bolts on either side of the motorcycle to the front are different from each other, which they are. I made the measurement two different ways and came up with the same relative difference of 1/4". That seems a little excessive to me.

King2013

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »

I think that adjuster was smoking something other than tobacco.  The cost of a new fuel tank and new forks would not come close to justifying totaling a $30k motorcycle.  I think there was more involved than just those two items.

There was a time when they would straighten frames, just like they do on cars.  For whatever reason, these days they either replace the frame or total the bike if there is significant damage to other parts.  Considering the typical Harley dealership's talent pool, I'd hope for a total versus replacing the frame.

Jerry

Was just a street glide so only a 20k loss max. There was a lot more damage to my bike but the adjuster said typically when the tank is dented and there is other visible damage (like the forks being bent) they typically total the bike. I'm pretty sure the frame was bent too, after being t-boned.

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »

my wife and I, two up, a few years ago got t-boned by a pick-up. Our local dealer asked what happened and what I was hoping to have done. When I told him I was hit by a truck he immediately said "so it's a write off then" before the bike was delivered by the towing company.
I guess what I am saying is if you have a good relationship with your dealer, there should be no issue in a write off. Any time a motorcycle meets a cage, something is going to give, for me with only two wheels I would err on the side of caution and push for a replacement. I received a complete write off and was actually paid out more than I purchased the bike for less than a year prior. had my check in hand 3 weeks after the wreck and went straight down and bought a brand new heritage Softail. Wife was a trooper, climbed on with her casted leg and crutches and away we went for a nice long ride.

The guy who hit us, we had a lowrider at the time, his insurance company wanted me to send the bike to a Honda shop as they were cheaper than the Harley shop. I politely told her in no uncertain terms the Harley's don't go to Honda tech's for anything. Lol
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.