Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Whirlpool sucks  (Read 7088 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Whirlpool sucks
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side fridge I bought about eight years ago.  Have had to replace the ice maker twice but fortunately those aren't too very expensive.  But now I have had the electronic control board fail and I have learned than many, many others have had this same issue as this part is used in many different models.

Now for the corker - the part is on factory backorder until July 31st!  I've been on the computer and phone for two days but no joy in finding the part.

I'll be sure to avoid Whirlpool in the future.  They used to be great but this is unbelievable.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Whirlpool sucks
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »

Great...We just bought a Whirlpool front load washer and dryer, I'm loving them, I hope I don't have any trouble.... :'( :'( :'(
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »

Hope your washer & dryer at A-OK.  I've been a big fan of Whirlpool for many, many years.  In fact that is all I have ever owned for fridge, laundry, dish washer, etc.  But this is really a bust. 

IBA member # 45520

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:38:50 PM »

Sorry you are having those issues Jerry. Like you always had good luck with Whirlpool and Kenmore. When it comes to dishwashers Maytag and Kitchenaide have always been on top for me. Although I bought a new Kitchenaide built in microwave just a few years ago and noticed the electronic numbers are now sketchy and it quit heating so gonna have to remove it and see what little piece is the culprit. For those who do not know, don't go poking around in a microwave without knowing what you are touching you can give youself a helluva jolt if not careful. Hope you find a fix soon.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »

Sadly, brand names these days mean nothing or next to nothing.  In many cases the only thing that's the same as the old products you remember fondly is that name on the nameplate.  The actual parts are cheap crap from China, and in many cases the entire product is from China as well.  The only American part is the name itself.

Case in point, there was a massive recall on dehumidifiers last year.  It seems the cheap crap Chinese guts of the unit had a bad habit of losing the refrigerant/lubricant but not shutting itself down.  Overheating and fires were the result, and they were eventually forced to recall millions of these things.  Here's the best part; it wasn't just one "brand".  They were all made by Gree of China, but sold under 13 different brand names in the US and Canada (Danby, De'Longhi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, GE, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, SoleusAir and SuperClima).  In other words, they were all the same crap with just a slightly different look to the outer cabinet and a different name on the nameplate.

Good luck these days finding a good appliance based on brand name.  Even in cases where one model number of a particular brand is highly rated, that doesn't mean other models within that brand will be equally good, or even acceptable.  Gotta love that globalization stuff.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:07:35 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »

Years ago everything from Japan was crap. Now that's good and everything from China is crap. Jerry is correct in previous post.

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »

If you have not done so check the board for a bad solder joint.   I had the control board go out of our Kenmore about 8 yrs. ago - found a bad solder joint - repaired and it has been working fine since.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »

If you have not done so check the board for a bad solder joint.   I had the control board go out of our Kenmore about 8 yrs. ago - found a bad solder joint - repaired and it has been working fine since.
OK will do.  Thanks. :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »

Hi Jerry,

Sent you a PM.

Joe

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »

Do an Ebay check for a used board, Jerry.  I had a board go bad in a washer a couple years ago.   I found a used replacement board on Ebay for about half price of a new one.  Still going strong...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »

Do an Ebay check for a used board, Jerry.  I had a board go bad in a washer a couple years ago.   I found a used replacement board on Ebay for about half price of a new one.  Still going strong...   :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks Scott. Did but no joy there. Darnedest thing I've ever seen. Several internet vendors show the part but all are out  of stock including the mfgr Whirlpool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBA member # 45520

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. You know that appliances don't last 20 years anymore.  :nixweiss:  Do what I did when my 9 year old refrigerator went out.  I was not going to sink any more money in it so bought a new one.  :2vrolijk_21: Only one thing the PK wanted stainless my old one was white.  :oops:  I though no problem at that time but later understood that the new refrigerator came with a stove, dish washer and microwave.
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 11:23:01 PM »

Found one on eBay now!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/W10135090-Control-Board-Whirlpool-Kitchen-Aid-Roper-2252189-2304095-/360579908999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f43cc587

But for $699.96 think I'll just buy a new fridge.  Most places have prices from about $200 to $300 but of course they are OUT of STOCK.  Guess this guy scored some and he's going for the gold.  I'm not pouring that kind of $$$ into a 9 year old fridge.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:24:45 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. You know that appliances don't last 20 years anymore.  :nixweiss:  Do what I did when my 9 year old refrigerator went out.  I was not going to sink any more money in it so bought a new one.  :2vrolijk_21: Only one thing the PK wanted stainless my old one was white.  :oops:  I though no problem at that time but later understood that the new refrigerator came with a stove, dish washer and microwave.
Well chit I might as well replace the cabinets and countertop along with all the appliances.   :D  Tile floor is fairly new so I guess it is good!

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »

Well chit I might as well replace the cabinets and countertop along with all the appliances.   :D  Tile floor is fairly new so I guess it is good!

Jerry, the link below is an Amazon reseller that seems to be showing stock (refurb) for about $150.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005AR7CA4/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:54:24 PM »

Jerry, the link below is an Amazon reseller that seems to be showing stock (refurb) for about $150.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005AR7CA4/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
Thanks Don.  I'll give 'em a call in the morning to be sure.  Maybe I'll get 'er going again.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:59 AM »

What I thought - one of the Amazon vendors, Central Appliance Parts, does not have the item in stock and must get it from Whrilpool.  So I guess Amazon's description of 'available from these vendors' doesn't give any information about when it will be available, lol.

The other vendor, Buy & Save Appliances, doesn't open until 11 am but I will be surprised if they have the unit in stock.

Appreciate all you guys helping but looks like we are striking out.   :'(

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 05:52:05 PM »

Who knew - Whirlpool and the moco must share the same PR firm.  Called a local appliance repair shop on the off chance that they might have the part in inventory, but they did not of course.  In quizzing them about the failure and the lack of availability they said it is not really Whirlpool's fault that the product fails because the government is mandating more and more energy efficiency and they have to use electronic control boards to meet these requirements so it is really the government's fault - just like the EPA is causing engine failures on the moco engines.

You gotta laugh to keep from crying.   :'(

IBA member # 45520

hogasm

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 07:40:29 PM »

Bypass the board...it just wont defrost unless you put a timer on it

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »

:-\
"Although I bought a new Kitchenaide built in microwave just a few years ago and noticed the electronic numbers are now sketchy and it quit heating so gonna have to remove it and see what little piece is the culprit." :oops:

Hopefully,  your Kitchenaide microwave (built in) is a (stand alone) unit and not part of a combo/microwave/oven built in unit. :confused5:

If so,  your problems are expanded as I recently found out with a heating problem with ours.  Fortunately, we were able to find a reasonable dealer that did not try to gouge us on the repair.  The whole unit has to be slid out of the wall to work on it (very heavy,  took the rep and me both to lower it on to my Coleman cooler) instead of all the way to the floor.  The damn thing is made with no consideration for any (follow on) repair work as certain parts and areas are extremely hard to get to.

Ours broke due to the fan that cools the magatron failing........thus wiping out the magnetron too.

Advice..........Go with a double oven as a built in and/or make sure your microwave selection is merely a stand alone unit in case of repair needs. :drink: 

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »

Bypass the board...it just wont defrost unless you put a timer on it
Unfortunately it is not that simple.  This fridge replaced a 20 year old Sears Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) whose circuit board was also fried (and discontinued and unavailable) and the fridge would not defrost.  Had to unplug it and let it thaw out.

But the main control board on this one controls the interior light, the temp controls and the cooling in the fridge side.  Freezer is working but fridge is not staying cool.  Food is in a 40 year old White Westinghouse fridge in the garage where I keep my beer and soft drinks.  It is very small and mama is not happy about having to trapse out there to get things and expecially not for 2 months!

So I'm looking and may have narrowed it down to a Fridigare 'professional' model side by side fridge.  Still researching.

IBA member # 45520

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »

Sounds like Harley, and we keep buying there bikes. Sorry that's all I got. :(

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 07:36:36 AM »

This is now the new NORM.  A few weeks ago, CNN-Money had an article:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/13/technology/innovation/beta-testing/index.html

We are all officially BETA testers in today's world.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »

"Although I bought a new Kitchenaide built in microwave just a few years ago and noticed the electronic numbers are now sketchy and it quit heating so gonna have to remove it and see what little piece is the culprit." :oops:

Hopefully,  your Kitchenaide microwave (built in) is a (stand alone) unit and not part of a combo/microwave/oven built in unit. :confused5:

If so,  your problems are expanded as I recently found out with a heating problem with ours.  Fortunately, we were able to find a reasonable dealer that did not try to gouge us on the repair.  The whole unit has to be slid out of the wall to work on it (very heavy,  took the rep and me both to lower it on to my Coleman cooler) instead of all the way to the floor.  The damn thing is made with no consideration for any (follow on) repair work as certain parts and areas are extremely hard to get to.

Ours broke due to the fan that cools the magatron failing........thus wiping out the magnetron too.

Advice..........Go with a double oven as a built in and/or make sure your microwave selection is merely a stand alone unit in case of repair needs. :drink:
I installed myself and it is stand alone but still have to slide it out and get in find the culprit. Right now it is just going to have to wait. I need to get some riding in. ;D

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:45 PM »

Sadly, brand names these days mean nothing or next to nothing.  In many cases the only thing that's the same as the old products you remember fondly is that name on the nameplate.  The actual parts are cheap crap from China, and in many cases the entire product is from China as well.  The only American part is the name itself.

Case in point, there was a massive recall on dehumidifiers last year.  It seems the cheap crap Chinese guts of the unit had a bad habit of losing the refrigerant/lubricant but not shutting itself down.  Overheating and fires were the result, and they were eventually forced to recall millions of these things.  Here's the best part; it wasn't just one "brand".  They were all made by Gree of China, but sold under 13 different brand names in the US and Canada (Danby, De'Longhi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, GE, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, SoleusAir and SuperClima).  In other words, they were all the same crap with just a slightly different look to the outer cabinet and a different name on the nameplate.

Good luck these days finding a good appliance based on brand name.  Even in cases where one model number of a particular brand is highly rated, that doesn't mean other models within that brand will be equally good, or even acceptable.  Gotta love that globalization stuff.

Jerry
So, I have a Frig that took a crap....where do I go to get the damn thing fixed?
The "TAZMUN"

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 11:00:50 PM »

In 1983 I bought a GE side by side in Korea at the Base Exchange (BX) and finally got tired of it in 2005 and gave it away. It was still working just fine after all those years. Somebody on the assembly line must have been bored and decided to put some extra effort in. Sorry not a Whirlpool thread but just had to tell somebody.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 07:04:25 AM »

I killed a washing machine with a 12 gauge once. It didn't solve my appliance problem, but, I had lots of enjoyment from it.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »

So, I have a Frig that took a crap....where do I go to get the damn thing fixed?

Do like so many folks do with their Harley's; trade it in on a new one and start down the same road again.  Keeps those profits rolling in for Harley, and it will do the same for those fine Chinese companies.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »

Just did the same thing micro wave burnt up, came with all the other appliances in stainless.  Have to admit kitchen looks a lot nicer
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »

::)
Some of these replies sound to me like..........Hey,  if he can afford an SE Harley with all the glitz and custom paint...then (WE) can afford a custom stainless loaded kitchen with all the trimmings. :apple:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »

::)
Some of these replies sound to me like..........Hey,  if he can afford an SE Harley with all the glitz and custom paint...then (WE) can afford a custom stainless loaded kitchen with all the trimmings. :apple:

I believe he has TWO se harleys!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 08:13:22 PM »

Trouble with repairing Fridges is you replace one part and the Compressor can't keep up and anyway just get a new one.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:52 PM »

All this talk about refrigerators got me going. I have 4 refrigerators. A 17 year old GE side by side in the kitchen that matches the cabinets. Had to replace the compressor last year. ( Covered by our home warranty
plan. ) We have 1 Kenmore top freezer I paid $150.00 for that we keep soft drinks, beer, and wine in. 1 Frigidaire top freezer that a friend wanted to get rid of and he gave it to me. This one we keep leftovers, some fruit and veggies in. Then I have a small 4 cu ft frig that I keep Apple Pie and other flavored adult beverages in and that has become a problem. I need more room for adult beverages, so tomorrow I pick up frig # 5. This one at a mere $ 75.00 and will be in the barn.
No lack of cooling here.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »

Damn,  Mikee......You will have me beat with 5 refrigs....I have one in the bonus room, one in the garage, one in the laundry room and one in the kitchen.  However,  I just may have you beat with overhead fans....Have two in the bonus room, one in the master bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in the living room, one in my office (2nd bedroom), one in my wifes office (3rd bedroom), one in the "spare" bedroom and two on the enclosed back porch. That totals (ten) cooling fans. :P

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 08:13:28 PM »

Damn,  Mikee......You will have me beat with 5 refrigs....I have one in the bonus room, one in the garage, one in the laundry room and one in the kitchen.  However,  I just may have you beat with overhead fans....Have two in the bonus room, one in the master bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in the living room, one in my office (2nd bedroom), one in my wifes office (3rd bedroom), one in the "spare" bedroom and two on the enclosed back porch. That totals (ten) cooling fans. :P

You do, as of now I have 9 up and running. I still have to pt one up in the barn and 3 in the garage. I thought about putting 2 on the front porch, but we don't sit out there. We use the back porch and that has 2 fans.

Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »

Ya can't beat a 1938 Hot Point Fridge! It was my grandparents first fridge. I've owned it since 1977. Had to have it rewired in the 90's. Works great!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »

Dayum, I can't even pay Mr. Mikey's power bill
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Power bill, what power bill? I have an extension cord run out to the neighbors pool area and plugged into their pump power outlet. Can't beat free lectricity. ;D
Mike

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 20 queries.