Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Carbon buildup on top of pistons  (Read 11713 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Carbon buildup on top of pistons
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:16 AM »

They do.

Slopokes72

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 citron yellow/black....totaled
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »

thanks for all the input.  I will ask about this issue when i go back to mechanic.   :)
Remember, its not the destination its the ride!! 
Ride Safe!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »

Northstar pic is a ring issue you can see where gas's have gone past the 2nd ring ..  Splattering on the dome is ign ping. ( for what ever reason) you can see where it is pitting in a few areas. High heat some detonation that will knock it loose in certain areas. Air cleaners that introduce mist back into the engine can be the issue. However with 90+% of all air cleaners doing that very same thing the odds would have to be that all pistons would like like that.   That is however not the case.  With poor ring seal you have increased crank case pressure which will increase the amount of oil carry over = more oil mist going through the system into the engine

What we see is that many of the cylinders are less than round & straight  and outside n spec though out the entire area the piston is traveling. Rings have a hard time controlling oil when that occurs.  Simple bore and hone will solve the issue. I have countless photo and measurements of 110 cylinders. As well many that thought the air cleaner was the main issue and routed the breathers to the ground. Oil still was baked to the piston dome.  Not to say that is always the issue.

We have also found that just about all will mist pretty good with 5000+ rpm ranges in stock form.  Bore and hone and the crank case pressure is reduced and no more oil mist issue's that end up  on piston domes.  :2vrolijk_21:  Damage to the piston skirt as pointed out is another piece of info that points towards improper ring seal.  More info  nothing more, being you are going to bore and hone with the new pistons your issue there should be solved. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:22:57 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »

If the pressure cooker is not fixed those spanky straight cylinders will become distorted again. Fuel, air,timing and proper compression for the octane. I speculate the stock 110 would live a lot longer at a half point less compression and a valve spring change done plus a good tune.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »

If the pressure cooker is not fixed those spanky straight cylinders will become distorted again. Fuel, air,timing and proper compression for the octane. I speculate the stock 110 would live a lot longer at a half point less compression and a valve spring change done plus a good tune.
[/quote

:2vrolijk_21:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 06:53:08 AM »

The reason the ccp is up so high is for the Moco to squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze through EPA on that size production engine,(including the 6 speed to lower engine rpm at testing speeds) and no doubt that a tune is always good.
Springs on the other hand, in spite of the seat/nose pressure that some suspect is an issue. I am not sold on that.
Metric ton of 180-200 psi seat-pressure Bob Wood spring-equipped engines out there w/o issues.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »

EPA oh come now.
NOx emission load increases as the compression is raised. Remember model year 1970 to 1971? Compression lowered by car manufacturers across the board and retrofit timing retarding devices to lower NOx on older cars.

Consider the "Useful Life" provision of the clean air act that manufacturers must comply with also.
And regarding springs by design there are some that introduce harmonics that present as valve train noise. And only enough pressure to control the valve with a safety margin is needed. I tested a tw6h equipped bike with 1.9 and 1.61 valves and got down to 130# seat before experiencing lofting. Not a suggestion just my observation. Excessive pressure is a parasite, raises heat, contributes to premature part failures (such as lifters), and takes away power. I know you disagree so no need to argue this on an open forum again.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:46:14 AM by HD Street Performance »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »

Spring pressure has been long proven not to be parasitic.
Only time is upon start up.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »

Spring pressure has been long proven not to be parasitic.
Only time is upon start up.

Not trying to start a pissing contest.. However ,,  where  is this information coming from??. As you cannot re write the laws of  physics,.  I know for a fact that Pac spring manufacture  will state the opposite  of this .

Again looking for real data , and not bashing you, or your shop or your methods etc..

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »

Not trying to start a pissing contest.. However ,,  where  is this information coming from??. As you cannot re write the laws of  physics,.  I know for a fact that Pac spring manufacture  will state the opposite  of this .

Again looking for real data , and not bashing you, or your shop or your methods etc..

While better to err on the side of a bit too much spring pressure than not enough,saying that spring pressure isn't included in the laundry list of parasitic

losses in an engine is  not true at all.

2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »

I pulled my pistons at 4k miles and they looked like this.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »

Contact Bob Wood............  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:06:32 PM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »

No thanks ,...  I am working  with PAC on some things at this present time. They will tell you that what you posted is incorrect. But they are just the spring manufacture. What do they know.  Simms tester will also prove that springs in fact a parasitic item the entire time
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:11:31 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »

Hey there, my builder has a machine that plugs in to the bikes fuel system and then you run the bike ( in one spot, not riding it ) and this supposed to de carbon the combustion chamber. After thats done change the oil and filter.

I dont know it this works? Have you guy's ever heard of such a method and device?
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »

OK so if the chamber is cleaned the problem is still there

When pistons present as those did there is a ring issue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.