Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Proper Valve Spring Pressure  (Read 12460 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Proper Valve Spring Pressure
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

Good oil pressure and good viscosity, with a good lifter pre-load on a good lifter seems to work well here. :nixweiss:
Not a lot more complicated than that..........

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »

That's it, thats' all we need to do? Everything else is fine no issues and valve springs are not part of this problem?

So why did you advise previously
"May consider pulling/inspecting them* @ 25,000 as service bulletins recommended, back in the Evo days."

*them was refering to lifters
The advice is in conflict.

As I mentioned before there are documented cases of the best lifters failing prematurely some withless than 5k miles.
I was interested in opinions based on experience and or science that may show the valve springs as a contributer or if they are not an influence what can we do as a community to improve the performance and reliability of these performance motors

Your answer, there is no problem.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:27:32 PM by HD Street Performance »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »

Hillside are you drinking  :drink: when you post this stuff??   OIL and lifter adjustment WTF?? !!!
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »

Whatever rude remarks you wish..............

MLCRISIS

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 07:45:39 AM »

I usually just "troll" these threads, but I recently had a lifter issue not on my scoot, it was the lifters in 1998 vortec. Similar lifter to our TC's 100k grenaded 3. It turns out they are known for this, check any gm truck forum, they talk about failed lifters as much as we do! Did a top end rebuild on my old truck, guess I'll check the serg next.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »

Whatever rude remarks you wish..............

Hillside are you drinking  :drink: when you post this stuff??   OIL and lifter adjustment WTF?? !!!

keep you personal issues with each other offline.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »

I usually just "troll" these threads, but I recently had a lifter issue not on my scoot, it was the lifters in 1998 vortec. Similar lifter to our TC's 100k grenaded 3. It turns out they are known for this, check any gm truck forum, they talk about failed lifters as much as we do! Did a top end rebuild on my old truck, guess I'll check the serg next.

While GM's has had some lifters go out (as have every auto manufacture) your missing the bigger picture here. The CVO 110 motor eats them pretty much every 25K miles if left in that long. The GM's have some go out but as in your case sited yours went 100K in a truck that you hauled ???? for that 100K. The CVO 110 eats them running around with a few hundred pounds of weight on them! Nothing man made is full proof but the 110 engine has a real problem and to date it is not being addressed.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

rigidorbust

• no such thing as a straight road

• CVO1: 2012 cvo road glide custom
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »

Troll or no troll,since i am from the land of trolls ,think i change my lifters and go with beehive and new cams + a 113 kit

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »

I have been thinking about this valve train noise issue for some time now even though I have not had lifter issues to date.
It seems to me the valve springs and lifters and the rest of the make up were designed for an engine that had a rev limit of 5600 rpm and cams that have .498 lift. Now we come along and raise the rev limiter another 900 rpm and add a 1/10th of an inch to the valves lift and change hell out of the open close duration. So the question is which way do we go on these springs? Softer or stiffer? how about harmonics? I also see the idle rpm being lowered in many of the custom tunes to sometimes less than 900 when they come stock at near 1100 to 1200 rpm surely affecting oil pressure. Now we go out and hammer on these things and expect the under pumped lifters to stay up with the rest of the pieces. I'm not sure where the fix should be. Maybe the best thing we could do for now is to keep the idle rpm up over 1100rpm and at least give it a chance to handle the higher lift broad tip lobes of these bump sticks. I have seen what high volume high pressure oil pumps in these twin cam engines can do to other things like gaskets, seals, puking etc. so there needs to be a better fix. I just don't think it's all to blame on the lifters and oil type has little to no bearing on the whole matter.
Sorry for the rambling diatribe.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:54:47 PM by redmtrckl »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 21 queries.