Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cvo 103 head update  (Read 4446 times)

sbcharlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
cvo 103 head update
« on: September 06, 2004, 08:44:31 AM »

back in az, doing alot of r&d on head design. what am doing now on heads is welding a fin or a vain behind valve guide on the port side. what we are trying to achive is flow direction to help the burn in the combustion chamber. the air flow numbers look good and the wet flow patterns look good. i plan building a 95 engine tommorrow with this new concept. i was given a head by a fellow member of the board and i am trying this same concept on a cvo 103 head. there are some new cam designs and gear drive coming available real soon, we will keep you posted thanks charlie

mfgreen

Re: cvo 103 head update
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 08:49:25 AM »

back in az, doing alot of r&d on head design. what am doing now on heads is welding a fin or a vain behind valve guide on the port side. what we are trying to achive is flow direction to help the burn in the combustion chamber. the air flow numbers look good and the wet flow patterns look good. i plan building a 95 engine tommorrow with this new concept. i was given a head by a fellow member of the board and i am trying this same concept on a cvo 103 head. there are some new cam designs and gear drive coming available real soon, we will keep you posted thanks charlie
Charlie,
When placing this fin in for improved flow control, is the flow pattern reversed for the other cylinder? What is the increase in compression due to this fin reducing the chamber volume?  Are you installing oversized valves in conjunction with this fin?
Mike
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 09:58:54 AM by mfgreen »

sbcharlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 08:03:24 AM »

mike here what we are doing on se103 heads. we install a 2in valve and a 1.580 exhaust valve. we weld up the combustion chamber to a twin swirl design. we set the compression at 10.1/1 range. the fin is welded in the intake port and designed to alter the flow of air fuel into the combustion chamber. what we are seeing is the fuel mixture is going in two direction in the combustion chamber and meeting at spark plug. it kind of like a figure eight pattern. i will see if i can post a picture of a cylinder head design.
we will building a engine this week with this type head. thanks charlie

mfgreen

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 08:09:20 AM »

mike here what we are doing on se103 heads. we install a 2in valve and a 1.580 exhaust valve. we weld up the combustion chamber to a twin swirl design. we set the compression at 10.1/1 range. the fin is welded in the intake port and designed to alter the flow of air fuel into the combustion chamber. what we are seeing is the fuel mixture is going in two direction in the combustion chamber and meeting at spark plug. it kind of like a figure eight pattern. i will see if i can post a picture of a cylinder head design.
we will building a engine this week with this type head. thanks charlie
Thanks Charlie,
This explanation is rather what I suspected that you were doing.  Has this fin caused any alteration in measurable hot spots within the combustion chamber?  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 08:16:18 AM by mfgreen »

Spook_103

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 10:42:06 AM »

Charlie, what kind of numbers (HP and TQ.) can you expect with the stock cam and also with the Andrews TW55?  Do these heads need compression releases?  Thanks in advance. Spook.

sbcharlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 07:52:35 AM »

we should have engine running on monday there is cam shaft delay. spook i would not recomend using the stock cam on a build. they are epa cam shafts. the tw55 is a good choice. we see 110-115 ft lbs torque with our heads and 103-108 hp..

Spook_103

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 09:49:41 AM »

Thank you for the reply.

sbcharlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 08:28:17 AM »

we got the engine running on wensday. i was not at the shop or able to ride bike. my mechanic hippo says were on the right track. he said it pulls like a freight train. customer called on friday and states he getts to 110 real quickly, he plans on putting more miles on over the week end, then get the dyno test. i will keep you posted
thanks charlie

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 11:01:26 AM »

Hippo works at your shop?  Is this the same "Hippo" whom was on the "V-Twin" forum?  If so, this guy is AWSOME!  Used to be our "mech-god" when I was a frequent member of the "V-Twin" forum before it turned into more of a "watering hole" and "political hotspot"...

But, if it were not for the "V-Twin Forum", I would never be here...

Anyhootz, tell "Hippo" an old "V-Twin Forum" dude says "Hey"!!!  [smiley=7.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 08:37:43 AM »

Did we ever get dyno numbers on the bike?
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 01:15:05 PM »

JFScheck,

Yes this is the same Hippo, I will be in Phoeniz Feb. 24 - Mar. 1,Charlie has redone my 04 SE 103" Heads and Hippo is reassembling the SE 013" engine. Will be seeing Charlie and Hippo, I will pass on your greetings.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 01:16:40 PM by geezerglide »

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.