Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy way to remove gas tank  (Read 2985 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Easy way to remove gas tank
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »

I was told by more than one person to not follow the manual to remove the gas tank on my 08 SERK.  I just had it lifted to replace the ignition switch.  I need to remove it to replace the seals to my 66mm throttle body.  The throttle body is so loose I can easily move it up & down with one finger.   Even with the tank removed it looks like I will have to make a short Allen wrench due to the small grooved area to get the Allen in.  Any advice on the tank and the work to the throttle bodies would be greatly appreciated. 

I have already been told if you can't even take a tank off why proceed?  Well I'm just about done with having anybody work on my bike due to numerous small things like a loose exhaust, air cleaner loose etc.  I could write a book.  Counting on my brothers once again.

Thanks 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Easy way to remove gas tank
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:23:29 AM »

There's not any "trick" or shortcut to removing the fuel tank.  Yours is easier than older bikes as you don't have the external fuel crossover line.  So for you it's just unook everything at and under the dash, lay the dash back out of the way, unhook the fuel line at its coupler beneath the tank, take out the bolt at the rear and the two at the front and lift the tank off the bike.  It really isn't a daunting task.

The two bolts on the left side of the throttle body are accessed easily enough with a standard allen wrench.  The two on the right side are best done using a long ball headed allen socket.  If you're unfamiliar with them the pic below will illustrate.

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »

Usefull to cut a length of allen key about 1" and use with 1/4" wrench where access is difficult.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »

Thanks, that pretty much was I was told.  When I remove the TB I'll post pic's of the limited space for the Allen head.  I do have the same tools you posted it just doesn't look like it will clear.  Hope I'm wrong.  Should get to it Mon or Tues.  Hoping to make it to 80,000 miles this year then it's back to another long winter. 

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »

I do 2 things when that situation arrives.
1 - Put the allen head bolt in a lathe, and taper turn the OD of the bolt head. 15* will do it.
2 - Lightly grind the 2 existing reliefs on the throttle body for more clearance.
John

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »

After looking at it more closely I have to agree with John, a regular Allen head will not fit.  It looks like the S&S did grind a very small relief area in the body for a wrench but it is still too small.  I may be able to remove it since it is loose but installing it properly is a different story.  I'll contact S&S today for any helpful info.  Will a clean up of the area with emery cloth and replacing the O-Rings be the right way to go?  I have about 20,000 miles on the 124 and had the leaking gaskets replaced last year. 

Thanks

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:33:50 AM »

There are several ratcheting tools available for that job specifically.  Also the Yost wrench is invaluable. 

https://www.denniskirk.com/H28700.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=COGf8f73sMACFWELMgod8QoAvA
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:07:50 AM »

The '08 tank is much easier to remove than even the '07, really not difficult and I found the procedures in the manual to be correct.  The only trick is to be certain to take the pressure off the fuel line by removing the fuel pump fuse and running the engine some, but that is in the manual. 

As others stated above, you can find a tool specifically made to remove the couple of allen bolts that are hard to get if you look on-line.  Not sure where I got mine but George's Garage is a good place to start.

IMO

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »

Change the TB bolts to hex bolts while you have it off. Then it's a POC next time.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »

Way easier now than it used to be.  The quick connect fuel fitting makes it so much easier.   :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.