Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Vision  (Read 2707 times)

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

• CVO1: 06 SE ULTRA
Power Vision
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »

looking for a little help with a power vision. i have a couple questions regarding a log. fuel milage seems to take a severe dive at 75-80 and im just wondering if it can be tweaked a little..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:23:21 PM by icy »
If it was easy, everyone would do it!!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Power Vision
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »

It's possible your PV map can be improved, but there's a larger factor at work here: air resistance.  The air resistance that works against your bike, or anything else, is much higher for higher speeds.  The math equation (simplified to leave out other factors that don't depend on speed) is force = speed x speed (aka f = V2).

For example, the resistance posed by the air at 30 mph = 30 x 30, or 900.  At 60 mph, it's 60 x 60 = 3600, or 4 times as much, even though your speed only doubled.  The resistance from 60 mph to 80 mph increases from 3600 to 6400--which is why gas mileage drops off so badly at higher speeds.

That's also why it takes huge increases in horsepower to get fairly small increases in top speed, and why streamlining the shape of a vehicle is so important to fuel economy and top speed. 
If you want peace, prepare for war.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

just how bad is your fuel mileage?  I know that when I rode from Louisiana to va a couple years ago, we would run anywhere from 75-85 mph and averaged over 40 mpg.

what, if any, mods do you have on your bike?  if your setup is similar to mine, could share my map with you for comparison.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »

running a t124 S&S with 585 cams. gets 42avg going down the hwy as long as i stay under 70. running 80-85 down the interstate she drinks the fuel . like 23-26 mpg. huge change.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 02:49:41 PM »

running a t124 S&S with 585 cams. gets 42avg going down the hwy as long as i stay under 70. running 80-85 down the interstate she drinks the fuel . like 23-26 mpg. huge change.

Was it tuned by a respected professional dyno tuner?  If yes, have him re-examine the tune.  If no and you just used a canned map, seek out a respected professional tuner.  The folks at TTS Power Vision/Fuel Moto can give you names of tuners they recommend in your area.  You should expect a significant drop off in fuel economy at 70 - 90 mph, but your results seem worse than usual. 

Jerry

Edit:  fixed my mistook on name of tuner
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:33:06 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »

My sons CVO gets 10 less at 85 than it does at 75. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »

Was it tuned by a respected professional dyno tuner?  If yes, have him re-examine the tune.  If no and you just used a canned map, seek out a respected professional tuner.  The folks at TTS can give you names of tuners they recommend in your area.  You should expect a significant drop off in fuel economy at 70 - 90 mph, but your results seem worse than usual. 

Jerry

Point well taken and good advice, Jerry.  The OP is using a Power Vision (not TTS), but the same applies.  The folks at Fuel Moto can help him out...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »

Point well taken and good advice, Jerry.  The OP is using a Power Vision (not TTS), but the same applies.  The folks at Fuel Moto can help him out...

Oops.  Thanks for catching that, my mind must have wandered a bit. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:15:20 PM »

looking for a little help with a power vision. i have a couple questions regarding a log. fuel milage seems to take a severe dive at 75-80 and im just wondering if it can be tweaked a little..

Your situation is real common. The closed loop area will yield good fuel milage in a moderate steady load cruise scenario. At 75-80 MPH, level ground no head wind, your on the edge of closed loop. As load increases with incline and headwind, KPAs rise beyond 80, closed loop ends and fuel gets added real quick and as more power is demanded to maintain that 80 MPH cruise. This is your dive. You may be able to lean it a hair and tweek a few more MPG out of it at high load. Be carefull what you ask for. Leaning it down up there is good recipe for higher temps and pinging. Pulling timing to reduce the ping will kill milage too. Double edged sword.

Good luck with it!

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:26:19 PM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »

Steve thanks for the reply. that makes more sense to me now.

icy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 01:43:14 AM »

Just a little update. Talked to Jamie over at fuel moto. He made 2 small changes and it made a acceptable difference thru 2 tanks. Puts it in the mid 30s down the interstate now.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.