Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 103 Crank Bearing Failures?  (Read 7089 times)

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
103 Crank Bearing Failures?
« on: September 14, 2004, 08:33:20 AM »

I read this on another forum and thought I would post it here to see if any of you have heard of or experienced this problem..

"... many of the 103's in our area are suffering from early crank main bearing failure. HD is s'posed to have an up-graded bearing fix, but many dealers in our area are still unaware of it and continue to install 103's with the weaker original type brgs. Have you seen any brg or case brg bore failures on the 103 or larger Twinkies in your neck of the woods? I've built lots of stroker motors, but always bored the cases for bigger brgs or used stronger aftermarket cases & heavy duty brgs to begin with. The word on the street in our area is the 103's are pounding out the stock HD crank brgs in the cases..."

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
Re: 103 Crank Bearing Failures?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:37:28 AM »

I have 28,000 miles on my 103 so far without any problems. What mileage are they calling early failure?

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:41:59 PM »

I read this on another forum and thought I would post it here to see if any of you have heard of or experienced this problem..

"... many of the 103's in our area are suffering from early crank main bearing failure. HD is s'posed to have an up-graded bearing fix, but many dealers in our area are still unaware of it and continue to install 103's with the weaker original type brgs. Have you seen any brg or case brg bore failures on the 103 or larger Twinkies in your neck of the woods? I've built lots of stroker motors, but always bored the cases for bigger brgs or used stronger aftermarket cases & heavy duty brgs to begin with. The word on the street in our area is the 103's are pounding out the stock HD crank brgs in the cases..."
Hey MoChrome,
Are there any further reports on that site of what the engine data recorder reported for rpm at time of failure, average operating rpm, and type of oil being used then?
Mike
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 02:15:51 PM by mfgreen »

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:13:28 PM »

Sounds like this is only on former 88 engines upgraded to the 103, as our bikes are built day one as 103's...  [smiley=6.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 08:36:23 AM »

Goldiron03 not my thread think you want MoChrome,  but no I have not heard of any bearing failures in our neck of the woods yet.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 02:14:49 PM »

Goldiron03 not my thread think you want MoChrome,

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 02:26:23 PM »

Hey MoChrome,
Are there any further reports on that site of what the engine data recorder reported for rpm at time of failure, average operating rpm, and type of oil being used then?
Mike

I have no information other than the post I copied from another forum. This was posted after someone in the Road KIng Riders forum stated he was going with the SE103 engine for his Heritage vs. the "high output 95".

Here's a link to the thread  http://forums.delphiforums.com/Live2Ride/messages?msg=11164.1

sbcharlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 08:22:53 AM »

in 03 all twin cam engines have a non timken bearing on sprocket side. there has been  some problems with 95 and some 103 engines. trying to find out information on this problem is like have a crazy  uncle in the closet, no one wants to talk about it. we had a 04 engine apart with 30 miles on it and there was clip on the bearing. i feel these are very isolated problems. we have built 2 106 stroker engines with no problems. i have machined out the  cases for a 124 and there have been no issues. the new 120 engine has a timken bearing. i advise our customers of this issue when we build an engine.
thanks short block charlie

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 12:10:22 PM »

So, in close, will the 2004-2005 103 motors suffer simular fates or is it just a "rare" occurance?
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 07:28:14 AM »

in 03 all twin cam engines have a non timken bearing on sprocket side. there has been

zigzzagz

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 09:08:23 PM »

This crank bearing failure is only in 2003 and later twin cams. In 2003 the switched from the timken bearing to a straight roller bearing and this has caused the problem.  Although this bearing failure CAN happen in any '03 and later, it is usually found in bikes making 100+ horsepower. I know of failures in motors within a few thousand miles, and others in 30,000 miles, there just isn't any sure way of knowing where or when it's going to happen. This bearing can be exchanged for the older style timken bearing though, and several are choosing to do this. It requires splitting (obviously), and machining the cases for an insert sleeve and a new timken bearing. Zippers is one of the shops doing this, as well as is T-man performance and other speed type shops.  The SE bikes that come with the 103's and all 103 crate motors made after 2003 are "ALL" succeptible to this bearing failure. Though those left in stocklike condition shouldn't have too much to worry about as they are fairly far from the 100 HP map, but SE103 bikes, that have had remapping, performance exhaust, and aircleaner exchanges fall into the 'more likely' catagory. Truelly there just isn't any way of knowing. I built my 2003 HD twin cam motor out to 124" before this was known to be a problem, and though it makes 125 HP and 140 lbs/ft TQ I rode it for 12,000 miles without any trouble. It is now torn down getting the timken exchange. On the other hand I know of one bike with under 100 HP that didn't last even 5000 miles.
 One thing to consider, if this bearing does go? It can destroy your motor, crack your cases and cost a whole hell of alot more than the $400 for the exchange.  If you are in the danger HP zone, you just have to decide if you like to gamble or not. I know I don't and with the power I'm making I was no doubt in the red zone. At least my worries are over now.

zigz

zigzzagz

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 09:20:50 PM »

By the way, I should mention, the $400 only covers the machining of the case, and putting the bearing in it. The cost of the remove/replace of the motor and splitting the case, for those who can't do that work is extra.

I would reccomend anyone who is planning a serious motor build in the future make sure they have the timken bearing.

Also even if the roller style bearing doesn't totally give out you can still crack your cases as they allow side to side movement of the crank. The timken bearing does not.  The reason the MoCo switched to this weaker bearing is that it is cheaper, and does not require adjustment when installing the crank. The timken requires having end play adjusted and they wanted to cut labour hours as well. Me? I figure if we're paying the bloody much for a bike what's another few bucks to have a stronger crank bearing. Don't you agree?

zigz

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.