Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replaced Chrome Flush mounter Fuel Gauge with Black one  (Read 4201 times)

MACHD13

• 2013 CVO ROAD GLIDE
Replaced Chrome Flush mounter Fuel Gauge with Black one
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

I replaced my chrome flush mounter fuel gauge and cap that came on the 13 CVO Road Glide with the HD Black ones, now at half a tank the low fuel light on the tack comes on and miles to empty shows 95 miles to empty.   Does this just need a few tanks of gas to go throught to calibrate itself or is there something else, followed the instructions.
Vance and Hines Power Duals--High Out Put Mufflers
SERT
Mustang Solo Seat With Riders Back Rest

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Replaced Chrome Flush mounter Fuel Gauge with Black one
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »

Did you ever resolve your issue?

Buelligan666

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 11:16:42 PM »

I changed to black with blue led. I have the same issue with the fuel light. I've learned to ignore it. I couldn't remember if the original was that far off before the change. Now I'm going to have to look into this.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 08:53:57 AM »

The actual sending unit in the tank controls the fuel level reading and the low fuel light, so if a new gauge reads differently compared to the original gauge the difference has to be in the new gauge.  There shouldn't be that much variation in the gauges, and if you get one that is way off compared to the original I believe I would have the dealer replace it under the service part warranty.  The dealer should have a way to test the gauge as well, but in my experience most don't take complaints about fuel gauges seriously.

The low fuel light should come on when you have a little over one gallon of fuel remaining.  It's easy enough to verify how close it is by filling the tank immediately when the light comes on and calculate how much fuel actually was remaining. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Buelligan666

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »

The actual sending unit in the tank controls the fuel level reading and the low fuel light, so if a new gauge reads differently compared to the original gauge the difference has to be in the new gauge.  There shouldn't be that much variation in the gauges, and if you get one that is way off compared to the original I believe I would have the dealer replace it under the service part warranty.  The dealer should have a way to test the gauge as well, but in my experience most don't take complaints about fuel gauges seriously.

The low fuel light should come on when you have a little over one gallon of fuel remaining.  It's easy enough to verify how close it is by filling the tank immediately when the light comes on and calculate how much fuel actually was remaining. 

Jerry

Here's what I have going on. I fill up, run 115-135 miles, low fuel light comes on. The trip counter for miles tells me I have 30 some miles till empty. I run another 100-120 miles, fill up with 5 to 5.5 gallons. My fuel gauge reads dead on at half a tank when the low fuel light comes on. When I stop for fuel I have 1 led lit, and less than a gallon left in the tank. I honestly don't remember how the original gauge worked with the low fuel light, I think it came on early, but not half a tank. I haven't dug into it electrically yet. I have basically ignored it, because knowing you fuel range in miles is a much better system. However, some days when you're letting out some aggression, the fuel mileage suffers. It's nice to have a good gauge or at least accurate light. I have only read a couple posts in different forums related to this issue. I'm going to swap the original in and see if there's a difference. Glad I didn't sell it yet.

Buelligan666

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »

Update:
Swapped my stock chrome flush mount gauge in. At 1 led left, the lo fuel light came on. Fuel trip showed 36 miles till empty. I stopped for fuel with 28 miles left. Took 5.2 gal. I'm guessing the sending unit is ok. Something about the black flush mount that doesn't jive with the system. Now I need to figure out what's causing it.

Buelligan666

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »

Anyone have an input on this subject?

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »

Only a guess, but I would think that the resistance in the non-stock caps is providing false info/interference to the sending unit. If you have both caps check them and see. It might take a resistor, good luck with that - I wouldn't have any idea if there are any that you could run as in line on the wiring in the fuel tank.   

gio2703

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 (MY2013)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »

Hi, I have he same issue with the black flush mount gas cap. The reserve light in the speedometer is on after 100mi, and on  the fuel gauge there are 4 LEDs left. Does someone have a solution? or should I change back to the stock chrome gauge and gas cap?
Thx Markus

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »

I’m seeing the same issue, just went from Chrome to Black flush mounts.  Reserve light comes on at half tank.
At dealership now getting it checked out.
I will report back

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »

Dealership called Tech in Milwaukee to confirm the black caps from P&A catalog are for a smaller tank (dyna series)

Having to order ordinal part per BOM for 2012 CVO Road Glide.
Just ordering the left side cap with built in sending unit.
ETA is unknown -this part is coming from Germany.

I’ll post more details and part numbers once they land.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »

not sure what the difference is, but if you look at the instructions and service parts list, they use the same gauge for touring, softail, and dyna, which all have different tank sizes.

the gauge from the p&a is part number 75018-08A.  but the gauge for the 2013 cvo roadglide is part number 74782-11.  the gauge itself costs more than the entire p&a kit.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »

Yes.

The original replacement part for 2012 CVO - just the gauge and sending unit by itself is $275.
CRAZY

:nixweiss:

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.