Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 118613 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »

Mikey~~~1) When I start on my build I'll start a new thread ......  I don't know if I should start it here in the 'FXR' section or over in the 'EVO' stuff.....   what are your thoughts on that ?

2) staying stock with the pistons and cylinders.   I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to pull the cylinders off or not.  It has 26K miles on it, uses VERY LITTLE oil to speak of. And only a very small amount of weeping at the back of the base of the front cylinder.  I guess I really need to replace both of the cylinder base gaskets.  And I guess put in new rings and have the cylinders ball honed.
That's just more of a job than I really wanted to get into, I'm not overly excited about pulling the cylinders off, new rings and all that ......
Do you think that needs to be done ?

As for question #1, when you do start the engine discussion create a thread within the "FXR SECTION" of CVOHarley....as we will all get to see what you are doing to your FXR4 as it relates specifically to this bike, and if you like you can create a "link" from here over to the "EVO SECTION" and visa versa that way participation is occuring in both spots....."links" are easy to do and work great for areas of "duplication" at least this is my opinion....lol.

As for question #2, Mike (REDFXR2) answered that question perfectly and I would second his opinion......I am sure others will chime in as well....

Howie~~~"Well, that's all I got for now. I'm a lil shy, so I don't post too much here! Maybe ya'll can bring me out of my shell a lil!!! "

Howie, I have been worried about your shyness and hope you will indeed come out of your "shell" a bit more!!!!!   
:pepper:

Seven of us have posted into this thread....thanks for everyone's participation to this point.....it's AWESOME.....I am looking forward to learning about many more FXR Owners as well!!!! 

Regards,

Tim

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:53 AM »

1) Screen Name: Free

2) Given Name: Andy

3) Age: 44

4) Location in the world: San Francisco Bay Area

5) FXR Model Owned: 1992 FXRS

6) Was able to afford my first Harley in 1991 and bought the bike new

7) "Major" modifications: Put lots of miles on the bike throughout the 90s. Bike then sat for a bit while i was busy having kids. Started riding again in 2003/04 and started to have some problems with the engine. Decided to replace engine with an S&S 124, repainted it, fatter tire and chain drive.  I ride it as much as I can (more so than the CUSE).

Free

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 12:56:19 AM »

here is another look

Free

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 01:53:44 AM »

1) Screen Name: Minglewood   
2) Given Name:   David
3) Age:             49     
4) Location in the world:     Bellevue, WA
5) FXR Model Owned         2000 FXR4 Tangerine
6) How long owned:  Since 2000
7) How decided to purchase: Saw the bike in a Harley brochure.  Knew immediately I had to have it.  Was my first Harley.
7.1) Major" modifications:  Mikuni, Bub stubbies, air, cam, ignition and coil, forward controls, customized seat, handlebars for comfort, chrome front master cylinder, chrome clutch lever bracket, braided cables, high sissy for my travel pack (have almost all the original take-off parts)

RedFXR2

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 06:41:37 AM »

7) How decided to purchase: Saw the bike in a Harley brochure.  Knew immediately I had to have it.  Was my first Harley.

Sounds like another original owner.  That makes two. :2vrolijk_21:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 11:08:44 AM »

Andy (Free) welcome to the FXR SECTION of the board, I am not sure whether you have posted into the FXR SECTION or not, but WELCOME, and congratulations on owning your 1992 FXRS since it was new......also thanks for sharing your photos.....

By the way Andy, have you posted your bike and the specifics of it in the "FXR HISTORY" thread?  If you haven't please do.....your bike and information would be extremely beneficial to all of us there if you took some time and wrote about it a bit within the "FXR HISTORY" Thread, here is a link to that thread simply click view and read:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0

Thank you for posting!!!!

So David (Minglewood) you saw the FXR4 in a brochure and new you needed to have one, were you able to purchase your FXR4 right there in Bellevue and was it easy or did it take some real effort since dealerships were lucky to see even one of the bikes at their dealerships?  Gosh and to know you had to have it, that's awesome....were you aware of FXR's in general before you purchased it or what "excited" you about the FXR to begin with? 

David, thanks for sharing!!!!!

Mike right now we have actually "three" original owners, Joe (fxr3joe) 1999 FXR3; Andy (Free) 1992 FXRS; and David (Minglewood) 2000 FXR4......

Awesome......9 of us so far.....everyone please keep posting........
Regards,

Tim

zn14

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »

1. screen name: zn14
2. first name: Paul
3. age: 57
4. location: Fort Collins, Colorado
5. FXR model: FXR3 green flames
6. In 2003 after six years of riding on the back of my FLHR my wife decided to get her motorcycle license.  She went to the local dealership for the class.  On the first night at the end of class they told every one to look at all the bikes on the floor and to go sit on their favorite one so they could take a picture (great sales technique).  She came home with a picture of her on a green flamed FXR3.  So that weekend I went and bought her a 1996 FXDL for about half the price of that FXR3.  Her first year of riding we took an 11 day, 3,500 mile trip to Canada.  She was hooked and one hell of a good rider, so I silently started looking for an FXR3 for her.  In July 2004 I found a perfect FXR3 with 2,500 in Texas which we bought.  Periodically, strictly for her safety, I will ride the FXR to Estes Park or the top of Cameron Pass just to make sure it is running correctly. 8)
7. modifications:
k&n air filter & rejet carb
EV 27 cam
V&H propipe 2-1 exhaust
PM Machine front caliper
fork truss brace
Bellray 20wt. fork oil
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:34:36 PM by zn14 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »

Periodically, strictly for her safety, I will ride the FXR to Estes Park or the top of Cameron Pass just to make sure it is running correctly.

That is true love.... :heart:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 01:56:32 PM »

Andy (Free),

What about your front forks what are those?
Welcome Paul.....lol as if I don't know who you are.....lol....you actually posted.....yes Virginia, there is a Santeeee Claus.....

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:11:38 PM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 03:12:27 PM »

Tim,

Like a lot of prople on this site I just started searching the web for FXR3 and found this site.  I don't post as much as I'd like to but until recently the chatter on FXRs was pretty light as you know.

I've actually had the pleasure of meeting and having a few adult beverages with naitram when he was in Chicago last year. We didn't ride since it was winter but he came and checked out a rehearsal with my band.  He's a really cool guy.

The "FXR thing" was really because he wasn't sure what CVO options were going to be included and if the bike would sell.  He had the one page brochure that showed the bike on the front and options on the back.  I still have it although it's a bit "dog eared" 

I've read plenty of messages on this board with horror stories of Dealers that didn't know much about FXR's especially what parts matched from the older frames.  I had a hell of a time finding forward controls and bought them before I learned of this site. would have saved me some time and money had I been aware of the knowledge available here.

I am fortunate that one of the service techs at my dealer has a Blue FXR3 but it's not close to stock any more.  He replaced pretty much everything including putting on ape hangers and an SS motor. But he knows the FXR inside and out which is a big help.  My bike is still the only FXR that comes in when needed even after 9 years.

Thanks for the post.

Joe

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »

Andy (Free),

What about your front forks what are those?

Welcome Paul.....lol as if I don't know who you are.....lol....you actually posted.....yes Virginia, there is a Santeeee Claus.....

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

the front forks are from Storz (55mm Inverted Forks)
makes the front end very stable!

Free

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

Mikey~~~1) When I start on my build I'll start a new thread ......  I don't know if I should start it here in the 'FXR' section or over in the 'EVO' stuff.....   what are your thoughts on that ?

2) staying stock with the pistons and cylinders.   I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to pull the cylinders off or not.  It has 26K miles on it, uses VERY LITTLE oil to speak of. And only a very small amount of weeping at the back of the base of the front cylinder.  I guess I really need to replace both of the cylinder base gaskets.  And I guess put in new rings and have the cylinders ball honed.
That's just more of a job than I really wanted to get into, I'm not overly excited about pulling the cylinders off, new rings and all that ......
Do you think that needs to be done ?

As for question #1, when you do start the engine discussion create a thread within the "FXR SECTION" of CVOHarley....as we will all get to see what you are doing to your FXR4 as it relates specifically to this bike, and if you like you can create a "link" from here over to the "EVO SECTION" and visa versa that way participation is occuring in both spots....."links" are easy to do and work great for areas of "duplication" at least this is my opinion....lol.
OK, I'll do it with 'links' ...... someone will have to teach me how, but I'm easy ...... LOL  but not FREE    HAHAHAHAAA

As for question #2, Mike (REDFXR2) answered that question perfectly and I would second his opinion......I am sure others will chime in as well....
yep, got it, Thanks

Regards,

Tim
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 06:11:27 PM »

I think you've guessed right :D

No really, I think once you get the heads off, the prospect of pulling the cylinders to clean up the bores and install new rings will not seem like a big job at all.  I did my motor work at 16k miles and found that one cylinder was wearing slightly egg shaped at the bottom only so the Tech actually took a tiny cut down there to bring it back to round before honing.  I was planning on new rings and a hone anyway.  And I had no base gasket leaks yet, but the OEM gaskets were paper--I'm surprised at 26K you don't have any leaks yet.  I predict it won't be long.  Imo, if you're going to do the rest of the stuff you're planning, then go ahead and put in a new set of rings and clean up the bores and be done with it. It's not that much more money or effort.

OK, I'll take the jugs off and have them ck'd for roundness, hone them, and put on new rings ......

yer a Task Master  ;D

Thanks for keeping me on the right track !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 06:12:24 PM »

1) Screen Name: Minglewood   
2) Given Name:   David
3) Age:             49     
4) Location in the world:     Bellevue, WA
7.1) Major" modifications:  Mikuni, Bub stubbies, air, cam, ignition and coil, forward controls, customized seat, handlebars for comfort, chrome front master cylinder, chrome clutch lever bracket, braided cables, high sissy for my travel pack (have almost all the original take-off parts)

we've talked a few times !

Good ta see ya again David !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »

... and if you like you can create a "link" from here over to the "EVO SECTION" and visa versa that way participation is occuring in both spots....."links" are easy to do and work great for areas of "duplication" at least this is my opinion....lol.

Regards,

Tim
This specific subject could go in either board, but do not start a duplicate thread. If you want to you can put a link in your signature. Thanks...

From the rules of posting to www.CVOHARLEY.com....

Posts should be made in the proper forum (Road King questions should go in the Road King forum, etc. etc.  Do not post the same messages in multiple forums)

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.