Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: KEY WEST HOTEL/MOTEL RECOMMENDATIONS  (Read 2486 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
KEY WEST HOTEL/MOTEL RECOMMENDATIONS
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:12:15 AM »

My wife and I are planning a bike trip to Flordia in April.  We're planning on following the east cost down and the west coast back home with a four night stay in Key West.

It's been 30 plus years since my last trip to the Keys (yes, I'm that old!).  Can anyone recommend a hotel/motel in Key West?  Also some good places to see/stay when we come back up the west coast.

[smiley=divers009.gif]

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: KEY WEST HOTEL/MOTEL RECOMMENDATIONS
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »

There's a Holiday Inn just as you get into Key West. I'm planning a similar trip in March. I think our plans are to stay in Islamorda, ride to key west and back one day and stay in Islamorada again.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »

The Raddison (I think) and you must go to IRISH KEVINS! Beware if he is on the stage keep walking and wait till he finishes the show. Then go back in sit down and wait for his next show. He is great. Very hard on the people thiugh. It is all in good fun.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »

My wife and I are planning a bike trip to Flordia in April.  We're planning on following the east cost down and the west coast back home with a four night stay in Key West.

It's been 30 plus years since my last trip to the Keys (yes, I'm that old!).  Can anyone recommend a hotel/motel in Key West?  Also some good places to see/stay when we come back up the west coast.

[smiley=divers009.gif]

If your wife is anything like mine, you might want to look into staying at one of the many B&B's in KW. There are a number of them, and they are generally closer to "ground zero" than the big hotels, allowing you to walk to, and more importantly, home from Duval Street after a night of "touring".

The B&B's are quaint, and the keepers are usually a great source of local information, if you want to get off the beaten path, especially helpful for restaurants.

Have a great trip!!!

Even tho it looks real cheesy, the Conch (CONK) Train is the best way to learn about the island.

Sorry, I can't be of much help on the west coast trip. I'm an East Coaster. April is a good time for Sailfish, and the King Makerel should be around too if you're into getting a line wet.

Chief
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:20:58 PM by HarleyDudeAtl »

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »

I agree, the Conch Train was really informative and beat the hell out of all that walking. My favorite was the walking ghost story tour, the people that led the tour were New York stage trained and were incredible. I did it for the kids, but both me and my wife were very pleasantly surprised, I'd do it again. We stayed at The Hyatt and The Pier House, both were fine. On the way down the first time we stopped in Islamorada and stayed at The Cheeca Lodge (filthy and over priced), would never make that mistake again. There are hundreds of great places to stay from Key Largo to Key West, you will not be disappointed. There is one on the southwest side of Islamorada (across the hwy from a marina) that feeds hundreds of tarpons on the gulf side beach and has a big saltwater pool filled with amazing fish. Man I envy you, it is a great ride.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »

If your wife is anything like mine, you might want to look into staying at one of the many B&B's in KW. There are a number of them, and they are generally closer to "ground zero" than the big hotels, allowing you to walk to, and more importantly, home from Duval Street after a night of "touring".

The B&B's are quaint, and the keepers are usually a great source of local information, if you want to get off the beaten path, especially helpful for restaurants.

Have a great trip!!!

Even tho it looks real cheesy, the Conch (CONK) Train is the best way to learn about the island.

Sorry, I can't be of much help on the west coast trip. I'm an East Coaster. April is a good time for Sailfish, and the King Makerel should be around too if you're into getting a line wet.

Chief
Thanks Chief, I like the B&B idea!  

Funny you should mention fishing.  We have a sailfish charter set up for day 2.
 [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »

Thanks Chief, I like the B&B idea!  

Funny you should mention fishing.  We have a sailfish charter set up for day 2.
 [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Now you're talking [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Remember to leave the  [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] on the dock. Not many captains like them on the boat. It's bad juju.

Chief
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:16:23 PM by HarleyDudeAtl »

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »

There is one on the southwest side of Islamorada (across the hwy from a marina) that feeds hundreds of tarpons on the gulf side beach and has a big saltwater pool filled with amazing fish.

That would be Robbie's Marina.  It's famous for the hundreds of huge Tarpon that hang around the docks waiting to be hand-fed bait fish.  As far as the saltwater pool, you may be thinking about the Theatre of the Sea, across the bridge and a few miles to the East.  Robbies is open water--the Tarpon leave at night to hunt on their own.

Robbie's also is good for breakfast.

I was down there in December and stayed at La Siesta in Islamorada.  It's been sold and is under a complete makeover to condos but seems to have stopped halfway.  I got the impression that maintenance is a bit borderline due to impending demolition of the remaining hotel buildongs.  The Islamaroda Fish Company is a good place to eat on the way down or back, schedule depending.

We have children so we're not much out barhopping  ( :) :-/  :'() so we typically stay north (east?) of Key West.  Since you will be able to take in things fun for grown-ups then you're on the right track to stay in KW and walk.  For a bit of old Florida go find the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key.  Turn off of US1 on Key Deer Boulevard on Big Pine Key then immediately right on No Name Key Road.  It's been there since the 1930's.  http://www.nonamepub.com/

Edit:  You may already know this but it's highly adviseable to use the Fla. Turnpike instead if I-95.  Get on the Turnpike about Stuart or Jupiter and stay until the end at Florida City.  You don't want to go through all the construction and crazy drivers from West Palm to Miami.  The tolls on the turnpike are far preferable, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:35:02 PM by RedFXR2 »

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »

hmmmm, whereever did I get my nickname? Yep, it's a honda.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »

one mo

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »

Robbie's was great for breakfast or lunch
We stayed in I believe a Sheraton on the water's edge while in Key West. Pricey but beautiful
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 03:01:22 PM »

If you are Military....    current or retired or disabled, get a hold of the Navy MWR unit down there.  Back in the early 90's we stayed in a fully furnished, guite clean, fully equiped mobile home, just off the main drag, for $12 a day.   There are about a dozen trailers in a little park that are Mil use only, and really neat.  (not a hotel for sure, but still really cool for a base of operations...)   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

jachin72

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 03:19:34 PM »

Also in addition to what Coolbreeze just said, if you are retired military, the Fly Navy Bachelor Quarters is $26/night.  I just went there last week [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  78 degrees and beautiful every day [smiley=drink.gif]

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 03:47:06 PM »

T...don't know anything about Key West, but coming  back up the West Coast, Sannibel Island is a beautiful place, and further up, well off the beaten path, is Cedar Key...there's an old Inn there thats a cool place to stay.  If you turn West a bit, St. George Island is also nice.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »

We always stay at The Garden House. It's a little BB about 2 blocks from Duval and The Bull.

Bigdog

RedFXR2

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 07:26:40 PM »

....  If you turn West a bit, St. George Island is also nice.

TC, I hope our paths meet one of these days because you seem to know about a lot of the same "off the beaten path" places that I do. First it was Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, now it's St. George Island.  I started going to St. George in (about) 1984.  Back then, The Plantation was a failed development with grass growing up between cracks in the pavement and folks fished from the rocks down at "The Cut" if they had four wheel drive to get there, that is.  I've caught some really nice Redfish off those rocks.  Now it's a gated luxury community with million dollar homes and The Cut is in some of their back yards and private property--forget about fishing.  Have you been there lately?  I haven't been in about 8 years, now, myself. I hope Boss Oyster over in Apalachicola is still OK.  Ever go down to Indian Pass to the Raw Bar?

You know, I figure I have myself to blame for St. George getting discovered.  When I came back after the first trip, nobody I talked to had ever heard of it but a lot of them went to check it out.  One of the last bastions of undiscovered Florida.

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:49 PM »

They've moved the trailors inside the compound at the Navy high rise but you can still rent em'...cheap.
Unapologetically American!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 11:12:35 PM »

TC, I hope our paths meet one of these days because you seem to know about a lot of the same "off the beaten path" places that I do. First it was Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, now it's St. George Island.  I started going to St. George in (about) 1984.  Back then, The Plantation was a failed development with grass growing up between cracks in the pavement and folks fished from the rocks down at "The Cut" if they had four wheel drive to get there, that is.  I've caught some really nice Redfish off those rocks.  Now it's a gated luxury community with million dollar homes and The Cut is in some of their back yards and private property--forget about fishing.  Have you been there lately?  I haven't been in about 8 years, now, myself. I hope Boss Oyster over in Apalachicola is still OK.  Ever go down to Indian Pass to the Raw Bar?

You know, I figure I have myself to blame for St. George getting discovered.  When I came back after the first trip, nobody I talked to had ever heard of it but a lot of them went to check it out.  One of the last bastions of undiscovered Florida.

I'll have to admit that it's been probably 8 years since I was there too, Red.  The last time I was there, you could still rent a house for a decent price...did some sea Kayaking behind the Island, and a little fly fishing.  I also made it down to some Oyster place on the beach, but I don't remember it's name, or coming back to the house.... [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] It's a shame all these places are going away...we'll just have to find some new ones!!

I'm sure we will cross paths at some point in the near future, and I'm looking forward to it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 12:39:27 AM »

Another idea to consider is renting someone's timeshare or if you own a timeshare trading with someone, Because when I lived in KW a few years back they were selling timeshares on every block. Or if you want a cheap dive hotel call the Blue Lagoon. It is owner by a German guy named Uwe,and he is a Harley enthusiest and may cut you a break. If Sandy or Mark are still working there they are the managers.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Fugitive

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »

I was in Key West in October and stayed at the Hilton Sunset Harbor. It is pricey ($250 a night) but has a seperate bedroom with kitchenette and is located 2 blocks from Hog Breath saloon, 3 blocks from Sloppy Joe's. This is a great place to stay if you are with another couple. Couch folds out into double bed. Check out Expedia or any other internet travel site. Great riding down there. Watch out for gators!

fugitive
A bad day of ridin' is better than a good day at work!
1992 FLSTC
Soon to be ordered - 2007 FLHTCSE

Fugitive

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »

Check that! It was the HYATT SUNSET HARBOR RESORT!

fugitive
A bad day of ridin' is better than a good day at work!
1992 FLSTC
Soon to be ordered - 2007 FLHTCSE

05_cherryglide

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

We stayed at the Best Western Key Ambassador on the east side of the island a couple weeks ago it was very nice and fairly reasonable for Key West i bit to far to walk to Duvall St but the taxi ride was only like $4 per person so not to terrible if you dont want to ride down to the action. A great place to eat seafood i thought was The Half Shell Raw Bar on the harbour not to far from Duvall St and dont miss the sunset at Mallory Square.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.