Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Pressure Tool for EFI Bikes -- Home Made and Cheap  (Read 7448 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Fuel Pressure Tool for EFI Bikes -- Home Made and Cheap
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:30:52 PM »

Read a PM from one of the brethren asking how he might check his fuel system for pressure.  Since holes in the lines in the tanks aren't that uncommon and filters will plug up it's a more common need than we might consider.  So thought it seemed worthwhile to make a public thread with at least one possible cheap solution.

Jim's offers a fuel pressure test kit.  Around $500 if I remember right.  For something almost any of us would use only rarely that's a stupid expense when options are available.

Here's what I did.  This is actually my ver 2.0 of the home made tool as Scott Dunbar shamed me in to an upgrade awhile back after making something better than my old ver 1.0.

If you're ever in need and with a bit of prior shopping you can make an equivalent tool pretty cheap.  All the brass is probably $20 or so.  A gauge (made for fuel) can be had for less than $10.  

The lines and clamps from the tank to the brass and from the brass to the throttle body need to be line for high pressure fuel injection use.  Have enough line that it can be managed while riding to check pressure during a road test (that's where Scott's version put my ver 1.0 set to shame).  You might have $30-35 in fuel line and clamps.

The fitting pointing out the bottom is just a pressure release.  To open up and drain the kit when the test is done.  It's not a pressurised line so can be any cheap length of rubber line you need to stick on.

Only other piece you'll need will be an original fuel line from the tank to the throttle body.  It'll be the donor to steal the tank and throttle body fittings from.  I've scored two or three old ones off eBay for less than $5 each.  

So for less than $80 you can with nearly all new pieces have something to replace the $500 Jim's tool and avoid the need for a stop at the service department.

The two shut off valves in the brass serve specific needs.  The one out the bottom simply opens and closes the fuel drain.  The other valve is on the throttle body side of the brass block.  Can close it so that pressure out of the tank can be checked by itself; without having to attach to the throttle body also.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:32:56 PM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Fuel Pressure Tool for EFI Bikes -- Home Made and Cheap
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »

Old thread but had a member ask in a PM for a parts list so he might better make his own.  Just in case someone else might see the old thread someday will answer here in the public thread rather than PM.  Following description will (hopefully) work satisfactorily with the edit picture to get the job done.  Here's the description:

Parts list for for pressure gauge

#1 is the tank end of a stock fuel pressure line.  You’ll split the stock line to remove this fitting.
#2 is a pair of shut off valves.  One to close off the drain side (out the bottom) while testing and one to close off the bike side while draining.  These are identical parts even though in the one to the left in the picture the valve handle is facing away from you so cannot be seen.
#3 is a pair of male brass fittings.  The ends are the same as exposed barbed end of #4 you can see in the picture.  You’ll use standard rubber high pressure fuel line bought at a parts store and the correct high pressure hose clamps  I used a couple feet of line on the end with the tank fitting and four on the end with the throttle body fitting to allow some flexibility as to where I might set the tool.
#4 is a cheap oil filled fuel gauge bought at Harbor Freight
#5 is a female brass barbed line fitting.  There is no rubber line shown on this fitting but in use you’ll need a long enough piece of line to drain the fuel in the lines from the gauge down in to a gas can.  This would not have to be the more expensive high pressure line.
#6 is just a brass four way fitting
#7 is the fitting from the other end of the stock fuel line you already butchered.  This is the end that plugs on to the throttle body.  If you’re only checking fuel pressure out of the tank and don’t plan to actually run the bike with the gauge installed the valve on this side could be left closed and this end would not have to be hooked up to the throttle body.  If you want to monitor pressure while the bike is running, however, you’ll have to hook both ends to the bike.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.