Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time  (Read 65319 times)

ultrarider123

Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »

I rewelded the extensions on after a test ride. It sounds a whole bunch better than the ghetto cruiser/helicopter-ish sound that it had without them. Definitely messed up the tune.
Couple questions:  Did you remove the plugs in both SE mufflers after you removed the extensions?  Or, did you just remove the extensions without the plug?  If just the extensions, you didn't do anything to effect the sound/exhaust flow, just taking off part of the exhaust tube.  You state you messed up the tune...is that your ECM tuning?  If so, this mod of removing the plug should have very little to no effect to include removing the extension.
Just wanting to make sure I understand what you are explaining.... :2vrolijk_21:

60FLH

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »

Removed extensions to gain access, then removed plugs. Bike also has a catless head pipe, opening these up takes it beyond what the factory tune can adjust for. Already working on that so no worries.

ultrarider123

« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »

Gotcha...thanks for the clarifications.

Also, thanks to all who have viewed, commented and submitted their own methods here.  This thread is 1 year old today...my first real submittal to ANY forum and it's still a'goin.....how 'bout that.....

ATOMIC GLIDE

« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »

Haird it is a great submittle and you have saved folks a great deal of money.

After the drill method although it was loader, I just wanted a little more. After reading a bunch of reviews here I decided to do the Fulsac Stage I w/ 2 inch baffles. For 2 reasons. More sound, and help the bike run a little cooler.
Not sure yet about the heat, but i just love the sound and performance that I got.

jcd520

« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »

Thanks for all the replies and yep, the 12 CVO's SE mufflers are a bit different than say my old 2009 that had the cat in the muffler.  I looked at all types of ways to fix that issue with the 2009 but as I was happy with the sound the stock system had, I let it go.  I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the '11 has these same muffer plugs.  I'm not sure about the 2010 CVOs.  Also, you are correct in that this change is not for everyone but it's a great option for folks that want a better rumble, stock system that doesn't turn the heads of the public safety officers as you pass them/they pass you on the highway or sitting at a traffic light.  

Glens: I would agree that if your state/city/county tests both exhaust and sound levels, you may not pass the sound level exam.  As this plug removal only opens the SE muffler and does not effect anything else in the system including the O2 sensors and catalyst, the exhaust content would be the same either with the plug in or out.  If you note in the picture of the exhaust tube after picture, the SE muffler inner tube reduces a bit from the inlet to the exit (get's smaller).  It's not a big difference but that along with the plug causes the gasses to pass through the packing material.  Even without the plug, this slight diameter reduction still causes some of the exhaust to pass through the material...hence it still is muffled a bit at idle and highway speed.  So you still may be able to pass the sound level checks depending on the testing criteria.  Also, that stamp on the side of the muffler states EPA approved and unless you take the muffler off and look down the tube from the inlet, you can't see where the plug was removed.  You could not say that about changing from the stock baffle to an aftermarket unit.  You can still argue the point that it's a legal muffler which it actually is.

Lilcoot:  The ECM should not see anything different as the rest of the system remains intact.  The stock computer allows for single changes in the system (as stated many times by folks on this forum and three different dealers/mechanics I've talked with).  As for back pressure and torque.  The plug is there for noise restriction to cause the exhaust to pass through the packing.  If you note the pictures, the plug has holes so even with it in place, there is some exhaust that goes through anyway.  Removing the plug only allows for the noise level to increase.  If you note the other posts with the pictures of the catalyst material, you could use a stove pipe as a muffler and not effect the back pressure as restrictive as that catalyst is.  I've seen no decrease (seat of the pants) in power or acceleration and the fuel mileage is the same.  

Again, very little was changed in this process that would cause any operational issues, just a bit more sweet sound from that CVO. :bananarock:

Haird---
My 2011 SESG had completely different baffle setup-------------My 2012 SERG has the one you posted

ultrarider123

« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »

Haird---
My 2011 SESG had completely different baffle setup-------------My 2012 SERG has the one you posted

That's interesting.  I've seen both on the '11s and wonder if there was a change in the design at some point in the 2010/2011 model years.  There's one 2010 SESG that I had the opportunity to modify that had the plug but, again, I've seen both designs.  Maybe the MoCo were changing and were getting rid of the old style and replacing with the plug style as the old supply dwindled....never can tell what they might do.  I thought at one point that maybe the owners had swapped the mufflers for some reason...nope, stock as came new from the dealer.....don't have any idea as I'm just speculating.

I do have an idea as to why the MoCo changed the design on the 2013 SE mufflers (with the extension).  Bucknut Greg and I were discussing this last night...maybe they have been looking at our modifications and changed their design to make plug removal that much harder.  Why else would the tack weld a 3" extension on that had no purpose what-so-ever.... :nixweiss:

Plus, we also solved the mystery of the lone gunman at the book depository and where Elvis really is.... :zroflmao:

jcd520

« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

Be careful!!!!
They are watching everything you do and everything you say!!!!

BigTrouble

• Melissa's Trouble

• CVO1: 2013 Road King-Crushed Sapphire
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »

Today I drilled out the baffles on my 2013 Road King.  I bought a Milwaukee 12 inch extension and 1 ¼ metal hole saw at Home Depot.  It cost about $20.  It was really easy to do, removed the end caps and heat shield on the first one and found it was unnecessary.  It took longer to take the muffler off than to drill it out. 

I'm not sure how much of a difference it made yet.  I took a video before and after but only on it in the garage.  Severe thunderstorms in the area today… 

Here is a link:

ultrarider123

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »

Very nice!  Great video showing before/after. Thanks for the effort and the post. Hope you enjoy the mod.

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »

Big Trouble.....in the vid do you still have the stock head pipe or did you replace that?

BigTrouble

• Melissa's Trouble

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2013, 09:03:46 PM »

Big Trouble.....in the vid do you still have the stock head pipe or did you replace that?

It is the stock pipe.  Haven't replaced that yet  :)

Went for a ride this afternoon here are my initial thoughts-  it sounds a little deeper and has a slower rumble at idle.  You hear more of a difference when you get it on.  I didn't notice a huge difference but it's better, especially for $20!

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

It is the stock pipe.  Haven't replaced that yet  :)

Went for a ride this afternoon here are my initial thoughts-  it sounds a little deeper and has a slower rumble at idle.  You hear more of a difference when you get it on.  I didn't notice a huge difference but it's better, especially for $20!
Been thinking of doing something also.  But does it sound that much different.  Any poping from air filter.  Mine seems to sound just fine  :nervous:
Ive done mods on every bike Ive ever owned and I cant digest that Im good with things as they are. 

Hilly13

« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »

Been thinking of doing something also.  But does it sound that much different.  Any poping from air filter.  Mine seems to sound just fine  :nervous:
Ive done mods on every bike Ive ever owned and I cant digest that Im good with things as they are. 

I would call that lucky, no more to spend, no more to do, just ride, yeh that's lucky in my book  :2vrolijk_21:

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »

I would call that lucky, no more to spend, no more to do, just ride, yeh that's lucky in my book  :2vrolijk_21:
Your spot on Mate    :2vrolijk_21:

BigTrouble

• Melissa's Trouble

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »

I just did it yesterday and went for a short ride today so I need some more riding time for a full review.  I didn't have any popping.  There is a difference but it isn't huge.  It's not like changing the pipes.  At some point I will probably do something different but since I haven't decided yet I'm happy with it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 23 queries.