Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time  (Read 65519 times)

King2013

Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2013, 05:43:03 AM »

i also did this mod with the 1 1/4" hole saw and a 12" extension, i did notice a slight difference in tone but not much. since i felt adventurous i bought a 1 1/2 " and drilled the inner baffle out completely just like the guys were doing with the 2011 and 2012s. the 1 1/2 was the perfect size. now the inside of the pipe looks like after market. the weather has been bad so i don't have any ride time on it yet but i notice a big difference in sound now.
thanks for sharing this with us Haird and everyone else who contributed.

i believe I'm a happy camper with this mod and the fact that its going to save me a couple hundred bucks.

donzrx

• Don-01
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:36 AM »

Hi there

Yes, I've been in touch with Steve @ Fullsac and he's given me great advice and been very helpful. Because of the tyranny of distance, Arizona being half way round the world from Victoria in Australia I've opted to get a set of 1.75" and a set of 2.0" cores and that way I have both options rather than oh sh*t I should have got the ??

A little care and a die grinder with an extension (the baffle tube extends to about 3/4 of the end cap on my muffler so I need something longer to get past that length) so then I can grind the two welds holding the original baffle in place and I should be good to go.

Cheers :)

Conmore, did you prefer the 1.75 or 2.00" cores?

yellowcorvette

« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »

Hi new here to the forum there is a lot of good info here. I have a 2013 cvo ultra and am interested in modifying my mufflers by removing the plug as you have described. I was wondering if the 1 1/4 or the 1 1/2 hole saw was the best option for doing this. Does the 1 1/2 leave the baffle with the packing in place? I have been following this post for a while hoping some new info would be posted. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:55:44 PM by yellowcorvette »

King2013

« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:32 AM »

Hi new here to the forum there is a lot of good info here. I have a 2013 cvo ultra and am interested in modifying my mufflers by removing the plug as you have described. I was wondering if the 1 1/4 or the 1 1/2 hole saw was the best option for doing this. Does the 1 1/2 leave the baffle with the packing in place? I have been following this post for a while hoping some new info would be posted. Thanks in advance.

there is no packing behind this plug. the 1 1/4 will remove just the end of the plug where as the 1 1/2 will remove the whole plug.
i believe it is just a silencing plug.

ultrarider123

« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2013, 07:47:43 AM »

there is no packing behind this plug. the 1 1/4 will remove just the end of the plug where as the 1 1/2 will remove the whole plug.
i believe it is just a silencing plug.

Correct assumption...it's there to help route the exhaust gasses through the packing material.  Either removing the end of the plug or the entire plug will work in opening up the SE mufflers and bringing them to life.

Howard

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »

The 1 1/4 just removes the tip and does a very neat job, my preference for a nice mellow sound, id try that first you can always go bigger if you so desire.

yellowcorvette

« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »

From what you guys have seen ( heard) would the bike have a louder deeper tone with the head pipe changed to say v&h duels (eliminating cat) and leave stock mufflers or punch out the plug and leaving head pipe with cat alone.  I want it a little louder more deeper than anything if that makes sense.

ultrarider123

« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »

From what you guys have seen ( heard) would the bike have a louder deeper tone with the head pipe changed to say v&h duels (eliminating cat) and leave stock mufflers or punch out the plug and leaving head pipe with cat alone.  I want it a little louder more deeper than anything if that makes sense.

If you change the header, you will need a tuner whether you do any SE muffler mods/plug removal or not.  If you just do the SE muffler plug removal and nothing else, no additional modifications needed.  You will notice more sound on take-off and accelleration with the plugs removed and it is a deeper sound....hey, you are letting more exhaust flow and bypassing more of the muffler packing so will be louder.  Nice thing is you still get a good sound at cruising speed without having being annoying.  Of course, removing plug AND changing the header to either an aftermarket one or get a stock header with the catalyst material removed, you get more sound and a freer flowing exhaust but then you will have to spend a bit more for a tuner.....lots of decisions.... :2vrolijk_21:

BiNCy

Re: Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »

Just cut the tack welds on the extensions to remove on the later mufflers, and they slip out. The rest is as posted previously. One down, one to go.

I did exactly this with my 2013's last night.  Removed the extension, but to baffle out. But, before welding the extensions back in, I sanded the little rust off them, and cleaned them up.  Then I took some cold bluing (get it at your local gun shop) and refinished them.  Nice and black now.  Just keep the weld location clear, son't blacken them.  After welding I hit the welds with the cold bluing, and bingo, no way to tell then were ever touched.

Now, I did not notice an significant change in sound, but they sure will flow better.  I am looking at maybe a set of SE Street Cannons as a replacement.  Not sure yet.

ultrarider123

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »

Great pics and explanation of how to remove that extention....appreciate the update and effort in posting.  Removing the plug opens the muffler and does give you a bit more "bite" in the sound but nice and normal at cruising speeds.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »

So what process on a 2014 pipe to get rid of the restrictions. 
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

ultrarider123

« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »

So what process on a 2014 pipe to get rid of the restrictions. 

Very good question....haven't had a good opportunity to see the muffler on the 2014 so don't know what/if any changes from the 2013 or earlier version of the SE.  Next time I'm at the dealership (or somebody else feel free to comment/post pics), I'll have a good look and go from there.

Haird

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »

What pics u need.  I can take some with my iphone and send me to ya later.  I looked in there and there definatley is a plug in there.  Looks to be deeper in there than earlier years. 
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

ultrarider123

« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »

I'll be at one of the local dealers this weekend but not sure if SMHD has a '14 CVO Limited (pretty sure K'ville HD doesn't).  If either does, however, I'll check it out.  Meanwhile, if you want to take some pics of the end of the muffler showing what you are describing and post them here, that would be great.... :2vrolijk_21:

Digital

• Full CVO Member
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »

I have a 2014 CVO RK but dont have access to a welder.   I think I will either go with the 1 1/2" hole saw approach or maybe 2" Fullsac baffles...
2014 CVO Road King
2013 Road Glide (sold)
2012 Modified Baja DB30 - FUN BIKE!
2012 Fatboy Lo (sold)
2011 Aprilia Tuono (sold)
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 (sold)
1997 Yamaha YZF600r (sold)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 22 queries.