Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What do you use on the windshield?  (Read 11489 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Re: What do you use on the windshield?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »

When at home, I generally use the hot water and soft cloth method...when the buggies are on lightly.  However, when getting the heavy/dry/crusty/baked-on after many miles variety of said bug juices, I keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (household mix) in a spray bottle in the garage.  Spray on & wait a bit, then use water & soft cloth to final clean & dry.  Then, I use Plexus with a microfiber to finish off which leaves a protection layer on the windshield and makes it easy to clean the next time.   Having said this, over the last year or so, I discovered the Bugslide stuff and I like it a lot.  I carry a small bottle & microfiber with me when out on the road in a ziplock bag in case the cap loosens.  Now, I sort of swap between the Plexus & Bugslide.  In my opinion, the Plexus will leave a nicer look-like-new surface by taking care of the little swirls/light blemishes that you pick up on your windshield over time.  Never, ever use a paper towel on a bike....it's blasphemy! 
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »

warm water soaked into a microfiber cloth.  No hard rubbing required if you let it soak a bit.

On the road this is what I do - warm water & microfiber. 

At home I have a spray bottle filled with water - only.  Spray the bugs on the bike (every ride for me in this climate), let it soak in for a couple of minutes, respray if needed to made sure all is wet, then wipe down with a microfiber.  Works as well as any cleaner, have done this for many years on windshields as well as other bike parts.  Helps greatly to have a wax/polish or detailer on these surfaces so they are slick to begin with. I use detailer every couple of months or so.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Goldrush

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2013 CVO ROAD KING-sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »

Microfiber and pledge. I use pledge on the entire bike, shines like new and new bugs/dirt wipe off with ease.
Spray the windshield let it soak for a minute or 2 then just wipe off.

Got stuff stuck to your Chrome, especially the exhaust? 
Carefully spray easy off oven cleaner on it let it sit over night and it easily wipes off.
Don't get it on any paint though.

I've been doing these for years and have never had a problem.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:36:09 PM by Goldrush »

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »

Spray on Poly-glide polish then softly rub the polish around with my hand and wait a few minutes until bugs/dirt are soaked and loose.  Then re-spray and  softly clean with micro-fiber.

I do this for the entire front fairing and forks.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/poly-glide-polish-one-gallon.html

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »

I use Pledge furniture polish-apply with soft cloth and shine with microfiber cloth. I also use it on all the painted surfaces and have been for years on all my bikes-you would be amazed at the results on the cheap! My 2 cents.

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 12:26:06 AM »

I use plexus however have seen a lot about using hydrogen peroxide lately. Guys swear bugs nearly jump off and are using on fairings and chrome forks. Not commercial grade but the drug store brands. Seen a few that put a sprayer on the bottle and carry in saddlebags. May try it.

Just perusing old topics, but found this one.  My brother-in-law turned me on to 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide and Water for cleaning off the bugs on EVERYTHING!  After the days ride just spray it on and let it soak for a bit, then wipe it off with a microfiber towel! The bugs really just disintegrate and what doesn't, comes off with the wipe!  Works great on windshields, fairings, forks, lights, EVERYTHING!  Cleans the bike for the night and all you need to do in the morning is clean the windshield with your choice of cleaner (Plexus/Novus/etc...)  It's really really cheap too!  You have to keep the mix in one of the brown bottles the Hydrogen Peroxide comes in otherwise it will loose its potency. 
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 09:24:20 PM »

From someone who earlier in life made Hydrogen Peroxide in my job... You really do not want to use it on painted surfaces with any kind of regularity. You should see the sample points on the lines it comes out of, it literally eats up stainless over a period of time. I understand that most suggestions above are to cut it in strength but there are to many safe products, not to mention water, to take a chance on a industrial chemical.
IMHO.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 10:16:24 PM »

From someone who earlier in life made Hydrogen Peroxide in my job... You really do not want to use it on painted surfaces with any kind of regularity. You should see the sample points on the lines it comes out of, it literally eats up stainless over a period of time. I understand that most suggestions above are to cut it in strength but there are to many safe products, not to mention water, to take a chance on a industrial chemical.
IMHO.
  I've used the cheap "household" strength in a spray bottle for over 10 years on my motorcyles, 31' Chevy streetrod, a couple of Camaros, my daily drivers and a few cut fingers & thumbs along the way and have seen no ill affects.  A large bottle from Walgreens will last me a long time.   I've never been around the full strength stuff to know what it is capable of...but, sounds like I shouldn't make an effort to find out.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »

I use Pledge furniture polish-apply with soft cloth and shine with microfiber cloth. I also use it on all the painted surfaces and have been for years on all my bikes-you would be amazed at the results on the cheap! My 2 cents.

Lemon Pledge on my windshields too, cleans the bugs nicely, and the wax component seems to make them slide off easier next time.
I use Spraway glass cleaner on chrome, one of the few things a past dumbass manager at work was good for.

Better yet, both of these just seem to show up in my shop if I write them on the wife's grocery list, so I don't have to
expose myself to the dumb-assery out in public.
2015 CVO Road Glide

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »

If it's just a few bug spatters I rub some spit into them and wipe with a clean rig. You'd be surprised how well it works.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »

Anyone ever put Glare Polish on the windshield. I'm chicken to try it, but not to ask.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »

I use plexus however have seen a lot about using hydrogen peroxide lately. Guys swear bugs nearly jump off and are using on fairings and chrome forks. Not commercial grade but the drug store brands. Seen a few that put a sprayer on the bottle and carry in saddlebags. May try it.

That's just so they don't get an infection.  :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ATGuinness

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra Burgundy Blaze / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 09:38:47 PM »

I've never had much luck with H2O2.  What I've finally settled on is Bugs B Gone by Seafoam.  It needs water to activate, but that's not usually a problem.  I carried a bottle to Alaska last summer and it took care of those big, REALLY juicy, Canadian bugs pretty nicely - even when they'd been baked on for a day or two.  My $0.02.
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.   – Robert Heinlein

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 11:46:12 PM »

Anyone ever put Glare Polish on the windshield. I'm chicken to try it, but not to ask.
I used to use Glare but now use Royal Blue spray detailer which is much easier to use and works at least as well.
Alan

Gerhard

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »

1. take an old Tee
2. rinse it heavily with pure Water (!)
3. put it on the screen (I also cover the batwing)
4. wash your bike as usual
5. after finishing: remove the shirt, most of the bugs & traces will be gone.

It´s cheap, sustainable and works excellent!
------------------------------------------------------
2018 BMW R nineT Urban G/S
2016 CVO Street Glide Black Licorice with Midnight Cobalt Flames >>> lemonized
2004 Ducati 998sFinal Edition Rosso Anniversario
2002 Triumph Speed Triple Black (sold)
1999 BMW R1100S Silver/Yellow Custom Paint (sold)
1994 BMW Funduro 650 Black (sold)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.