Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: REAR WHEEL BRAKE DUST  (Read 10644 times)

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

REAR WHEEL BRAKE DUST
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »

We all  know how much crap builds up on your nice SHINY rear wheels.Doesn't take many miles then bling is gone. 
You might not see it but some do.
I don't even use the friggen rear brakes.Any special pads that cut down on the swirling CRAP.I don't wanna cut the line....
I know the belt is part of the crap.I'm thinking it might just be the belt??
YA DON'T LOOK AT IT....FIXED!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: REAR WHEEL BRAKE DUST
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »

Why don't you use the rear brakes?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »

Especially with a new belt, much of that crud is in fact from the belt.  New belts have a special coating that protects the belt and sprockets during initial break-in, and it wears off rapidly and gets deposited on the wheel and the mufflers.  It's part of the reason why a new belt needs to be readjusted very shortly after being put into service, often 500 miles or less.

As for the actual brake dust, I switched to Lyndall Z+ pads on the old SEEG and saw a huge improvement in visible brake dust on the wheels.  The stock pads on those older bikes seemed to be made mostly of carbon black filler, and they would turn a wheel black in no time.  I'm not sure if the difference would be so pronounced with an '08 or later bike with the current brake design (Brembo).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »

Why don't you use the rear brakes?

Got a (probably bad) habit of leaving right foot on H-Way peg.Unless i need quick stopping or help slowing for turns to aide in turning.Or loose road material stops,rear only.

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »

Especially with a new belt, much of that crud is in fact from the belt.  New belts have a special coating that protects the belt and sprockets during initial break-in, and it wears off rapidly and gets deposited on the wheel and the mufflers.  It's part of the reason why a new belt needs to be readjusted very shortly after being put into service, often 500 miles or less.

As for the actual brake dust, I switched to Lyndall Z+ pads on the old SEEG and saw a huge improvement in visible brake dust on the wheels.  The stock pads on those older bikes seemed to be made mostly of carbon black filler, and they would turn a wheel black in no time.  I'm not sure if the difference would be so pronounced with an '08 or later bike with the current brake design (Brembo).

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! Did some research:
http://www.barnettharley.com/barnettsmagazine/product-reviews/lyndall-racing-brakes-carbon-kevlar-brake

Like the last paragraph:
So let’s review then, Lyndall pads stop better, feel better, wear well, leave no brake dust, are brainless to bed-in, and lastly, are competitively priced with Motor Company OEM pads. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out Lyndall pads should be on your wish list. They’re available through Drag Specialties and Biker’s Choice dealers (including many Harley dealers) or directly from Lyndall at www.lyndallracingbrakes.com. Also, if you need a special application pad or need an old set of drum brake shoes relined, give Paul a call. He’ll be more than happy to put a stop to your dilemma― immediately!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:28:31 PM by DALE#3 »

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »

Go on eBay and buy Wheel Wax. About $15. I use it on bike and cars.  Keeps brake dust from sticking. You can always just use a good, heavy car wax also.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »

I suggest that you get some training and learn how to properly use the brakes. Might save your life someday.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »

I use the front brake more than the rear for sure, but not using the rear brake or riding with foot on highway peg as a reason comments scare me.
I agree with Army.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »

lol not using the rear brake don't do any good if you have a 14 and up because they are linked together they work even when you just use the front brake

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »

lol not using the rear brake don't do any good if you have a 14 and up because they are linked together they work even when you just use the front brake

Linked above 20 mph yes. But using the wrong technique is always bad. The day you ride another bike or your linked ABS system takes a crap you could possible be a door ornament on some car.

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »

I got a sample seafoam-bug-b-gone from sturgis and it's says good for brake dust. And used it on my w/w before I sold it. Better than Westley's bleach white and took less time. JC

We all  know how much crap builds up on your nice SHINY rear wheels.Doesn't take many miles then bling is gone. 
You might not see it but some do.
I don't even use the friggen rear brakes.Any special pads that cut down on the swirling CRAP.I don't wanna cut the line....
I know the belt is part of the crap.I'm thinking it might just be the belt??
YA DON'T LOOK AT IT....FIXED!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:57:03 PM by jc15025 »

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »

Brakes linked or not, it's a good idea to get used to applying both simultaneously. As for dust, my rear wheel is always layered heavy with dust at the end of a ride while my front wheel is not. A lot of the dust has to be coming from the exhaust or something. It can't just be just brake dust or both wheels would be covered with the same amount...right? Just askin.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »

Got a (probably bad) habit of leaving right foot on H-Way peg.Unless i need quick stopping or help slowing for turns to aide in turning.Or loose road material stops,rear only.

I have that same bad habit and used to snag it all the time so I put that smaller FXR pad on it and that made all the difference. Now it's not in the way anymore.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »

Thanks Jerry! Did some research:
http://www.barnettharley.com/barnettsmagazine/product-reviews/lyndall-racing-brakes-carbon-kevlar-brake

Like the last paragraph:
So let’s review then, Lyndall pads stop better, feel better, wear well, leave no brake dust, are brainless to bed-in, and lastly, are competitively priced with Motor Company OEM pads. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out Lyndall pads should be on your wish list. They’re available through Drag Specialties and Biker’s Choice dealers (including many Harley dealers) or directly from Lyndall at www.lyndallracingbrakes.com. Also, if you need a special application pad or need an old set of drum brake shoes relined, give Paul a call. He’ll be more than happy to put a stop to your dilemma― immediately!

I've used Lyndall pads on my previous Bike, and my current one.  Still get dust, it's just a different color!  Lol.  But never any dust on the front....Never use the front brake, except when backing out of the FEATHERLITE, or maybe at a red-light.  Like the way sumps down, floats back up, and bounces a little!  Hell, had an Ol' Pan, and 2 Shovels, back in the day, that didn't even have a front brake!  Not sayin' I wouldn't use it, just sayin' I don't.  If it wasn't illegal, I'd take it off.  Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:17:48 PM »

Don't use the front brake? Guess you must ride by yourself, can not imagine anyone riding in front of you knowing you will hit them do to 70% of your braking being on front and you don't use it. Scary, Hopefully you are kidding.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.