Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weight bias  (Read 1333 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Weight bias
« on: July 16, 2019, 04:56:45 AM »

Anyone know, I have searched without success. I am trying to position the Road Glide Ultra on a trailer to ensure the towbar is not over loaded. What is the front/rear wheel weight bias.
JohnT

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Re: Weight bias
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 07:42:51 AM »

That is a good question

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 08:14:16 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen a specification listing front / rear weight distribution for a Harley.  It used to be a common spec mentioned in road tests of sports cars, but I've never seen it mentioned for a bike. :nixweiss:

You might want to contact a local truck stop to see if they have scales you could use to determine the weight distribution yourself.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:47:23 AM »

The front edge of the seat is the center of balance.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 09:21:14 AM »

Couldn't you use a digital weight scale and a 2 × 6 to roll the front tire on, check the weight than do the same with the back tire.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »

Place the back tire centered directly over the trailer axle. Should get you close. Depending on the weight of your trailer and what your towing vehicle is, you have to adjust forward or backwards so as not to place too much tongue weight.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »

Couldn't you use a digital weight scale and a 2 × 6 to roll the front tire on, check the weight than do the same with the back tire.

Probably could if you had a scale rated to handle at least 500 pounds (the bike has a wet curb weight over 900 pounds without added accessories and luggage).  You could also determine the recommended tongue weight for the trailer and vehicle hitch, then use a scale to measure the tongue weight with the bike on the trailer, adjust the bike position as required.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 02:47:53 PM »

I know putting it on a jack I need to get as far back on the frame as I can.  Now my saddlebags are typically fully loaded too.  So the front of the seat (mentioned previously) may be close. 

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 05:33:55 PM »

I think I have it, the jack being mentioned prompted me to open my eyes. I have previously made, like fifteen years ago, an over centre arrangement that I slide under the bike to use as a centre stand. the point of either rear wheel down or front wheel down is round about the joint between (if there was one) engine and gearbox. This will help. Thanks' everyone for your thoughts.
JohnT

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »

I assume you already have the Trailer? Use a cheap set of bathroom scales under the tongue jack which has been placed at the level it will be when hooked to the car. Put the bike on the trailer, with rear tire of bike over to slightly behind the trailer axle then Move the bike backwards or forwards to obtain about 10% of the total trailer/bike weight on the tongue. Then mark that location of the bike, unload the bike and install your stops so bike rides there. When we sold trailers this is how we set up all small load (motorcycle/atv etc) trailers.
Trailer weight can be obtained from manufacturer and good ole HD will give you approx bike weight, add your load in saddlebags. Approx will work fine, not critical to a few pounds.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »

I assume you already have the Trailer? Use a cheap set of bathroom scales under the tongue jack which has been placed at the level it will be when hooked to the car. Put the bike on the trailer, with rear tire of bike over to slightly behind the trailer axle then Move the bike backwards or forwards to obtain about 10% of the total trailer/bike weight on the tongue. Then mark that location of the bike, unload the bike and install your stops so bike rides there. When we sold trailers this is how we set up all small load (motorcycle/atv etc) trailers.
Trailer weight can be obtained from manufacturer and good ole HD will give you approx bike weight, add your load in saddlebags. Approx will work fine, not critical to a few pounds.

This is the best method, actually measuring the tongue weight and making certain you are within the allowed range for your trailer and hitch/tow vehicle combination. 

Jerry

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »

I've never heard the 10% figure before, never really looked either though.  That is good to know.

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.