Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139  (Read 9145 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »

:jack:

I just got my '08 Springer last week, and will be heading to the local dealer in the next few days to "register" it and get another key made.  Is there a way for them to check what recall work has or has not been done on my bike?  Or a way for me to check on it?  Since I bought the bike used I don't necessarily know the history of what recall work has been done to it.

Thanks!
They should be able to enter your VIN in the system and determine what recalls have/have not been done.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »

Metalgrind, is your replacement nut a chrome acorn nut?  Mine is a stock Allen bolt. Let me know. Thanks.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »

Metalgrind, is your replacement nut a chrome acorn nut?  Mine is a stock Allen bolt. Let me know. Thanks.

The following from the dealer letter indicates they are replacing an acorn stud with a different acorn stud plus a retaining clip.  Doesn't say anything about a regular bolt.

"The remedy is to replace the existing acorn stud with the new acorn stud and retaining clip provided in the recall repair kit. "

Anyone got a copy of the actual service bulletin with part numbers, instructions, and pictures?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »

RPR50,

They replaced it with a Chrome Acorn bolt with pin.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »

The following from the dealer letter indicates they are replacing an acorn stud with a different acorn stud plus a retaining clip.  Doesn't say anything about a regular bolt.

"The remedy is to replace the existing acorn stud with the new acorn stud and retaining clip provided in the recall repair kit. "

Anyone got a copy of the actual service bulletin with part numbers, instructions, and pictures?

Jerry

Just finished doing mine this AM.  The replacement bolt is exactly the same as the original with an acorn head, but measures 1/8 " longer and has a hole drilled thru the the additional length to accept a retaining clip.  Very difficult job...somewhere around 30 seconds.....  Couple of drops of LocTite would have accomplished the same thing.

marsred204

• Alan
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Inferno Orange FXSTSSE2
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 02:23:37 PM »

I recieved an ugly stainless allen head bolt. Are ther different recall kits for different areas?

Alan
I'm like a rusted steel trap: I look dangerous, I just don't do much

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »

Alan,

I would check back with the dealer and make them replace the steel bolt with the chrome bolt.

chriscraig73

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 11:37:13 PM »

I recieved an ugly stainless allen head bolt. Are ther different recall kits for different areas?

Alan

Mine was chrome, I'd go back and ask the dealer about it.

Gonz

• CVO1: '08 Springer 105th
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »

I checked at the dealer yesterday, and neither of the two recalls have been done on my bike.  I'll be getting this one plus the head gasket one done on Wednesday.  They said to allow all day for the work.
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean quite so much.  Except you get to hang out with your working friends...

marsred204

• Alan
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Inferno Orange FXSTSSE2
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »

I went back and got the correct replacement with the "D" clip. Thanks guys.

Alan
I'm like a rusted steel trap: I look dangerous, I just don't do much

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »

I made a mistake.  Allen bolt has been there all along.  They properly replaced the chromed acorn nut.  Duh.

harleydave

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE 3
Recall
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »

Anybody had the recall notice about the acorn stud at the brake reaction link that may fall out, if so what was the outcome, rectification etc.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
Re: Recall
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »

News to me.  Do you have the actual recall notice?  Where did you hear about it? 

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »

Recall M-1245A replaces the acorn nut stud and M-1226 is the 110 base gaskets.  I took mine in to have sert & dyno tune done and they say they complied with the recalls.  I'm really not convinced.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 04:05:46 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139

Dear Harley-Davidson Dealer:

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2008 and 2009 FLSTSB, model year 2008 FXSTSSE2 and model year 2009 FXSTSSE3 motorcycles manufactured May 22, 2007 through March 26, 2009 and shipped on or before March 27, 2009.  The acorn stud at the brake reaction link on these motorcycles may fall out during use.  If this occurs, the front brake and fender assembly would no longer be adequately retained.  This condition could lead to a crash and potential injury or death to the rider.   

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0139) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles.  The remedy is to replace the existing acorn stud with the new acorn stud and retaining clip provided in the recall repair kit.  A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within ten days.  Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin shipping repair kits on or before the week of June 8, 2009. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In the interest of the safety of our mutual customers and as required by law, you may sell but NOT DELIVER any motorcycles equipped with the defective acorn stud to your customers until the remedy is completed.. Please refer to h-dnet.com on the Service Page/Safety and Product Campaign/Open Safety Campaign Instructions and the Safety Campaign and Open VIN Lists in the Service Toolbox for an updated list of affected VINs for this recall. Select the appropriate campaign number link (0139) to view any outstanding vehicles involved.

In accordance with Federal regulations administered by NHTSA, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. will provide notice to all owners of record of affected products with direction to bring the vehicle in for the recall service.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.