Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drive Belt Adjustment and FXR2/3 Service Manual  (Read 3147 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Drive Belt Adjustment and FXR2/3 Service Manual
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »

I was looking for the Drive Belt adjustment procedure in the SM.  In chapter 2 they tell you to find it in Ch.6.   Ch 6 has the spec listed, but no procedure that I could find.  Ch.6 tell you to go to Ch 2 for the adjustment procedure.  Am I losing it? :oops:

The owner's manual actually shows the picture, but tells you to go to the service manual for the procedure.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Thanks, Phil

Also, can someone please look up the part on page 2-61 of the cover on the top triple tree cutout around the fork top plugs?  On next page its part #27.

Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Drive Belt Adjustment and FXR2/3 Service Manual
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »

I was looking for the Drive Belt adjustment procedure in the SM.  In chapter 2 they tell you to find it in Ch.6.   Ch 6 has the spec listed, but no procedure that I could find.  Ch.6 tell you to go to Ch 2 for the adjustment procedure.  Am I losing it? :oops:

The owner's manual actually shows the picture, but tells you to go to the service manual for the procedure.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

yer not losing it, unless I lost it too .... I chk'd my SM ....... got the same results :nixweiss:

Thanks, Phil

Also, can someone please look up the part on page 2-61 of the cover on the top triple tree cutout around the fork top plugs?  On next page its part #27.

sorry, I only have the '4' parts manual, and the '4' doesn't have that part ....... unless I'm losing it  :nixweiss:

Thanks
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

The FXR4 has the part, only it's cutout for the riser filler piece and it has to be a different part number.  its called top clamp cover or something like that.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »

The main thing Phil is to make sure the axle is equal distance from Swingarm Pivot Point. The swingarm should be drilled about 4-6" in front of the axle. You make a measuremnet tool from a coat hanger, bend 90 degrees so you can stick one end into the drilled holes and reference the distance to cent of the axle. Covered the wire where it meets the axle with masking tape so you can mark the axle center. Then compare both sides this ensures the wheel is running striaght. The check belt tension per spec in Service Manual like 3/8" deflection at the opening in the belt guard with 10lbs up force. They make a guage for this measurement.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »

The main thing Phil is to make sure the axle is equal distance from Swingarm Pivot Point. The swingarm should be drilled about 4-6" in front of the axle. You make a measuremnet tool from a coat hanger, bend 90 degrees so you can stick one end into the drilled holes and reference the distance to cent of the axle. Covered the wire where it meets the axle with masking tape so you can mark the axle center. Then compare both sides this ensures the wheel is running striaght. The check belt tension per spec in Service Manual like 3/8" deflection at the opening in the belt guard with 10lbs up force. They make a guage for this measurement.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

Thanks, Brad.  The alignment is in the manual.  What I was looking to verify was that the belt tension was done with the bike on the ground and with a rider on the seat.  This was mentioned in the Owners Manual

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »

The FXR4 has the part, only it's cutout for the riser filler piece and it has to be a different part number.  its called top clamp cover or something like that.

that's interesting ..... the fxr4 does have that part, but I don't find it in the pictures in the fxr4 parts manual along with all the other 'parts' for the front forks ...... seems odd   :nixweiss:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »

that's interesting ..... the fxr4 does have that part, but I don't find it in the pictures in the fxr4 parts manual along with all the other 'parts' for the front forks ...... seems odd   :nixweiss:

FXR4 Parts Manual page 70-71 part number 20,  67861-96 (FXR4 version)  FXR3 version has a different cutout.  That's the one I need.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »

FXR4 Parts Manual page 70-71 part number 20,  67861-96 (FXR4 version)  FXR3 version has a different cutout.  That's the one I need.

There are only 15 P/N's on p.70-71, the Handlebar Aseembly page Phil. The blank cover on top of the fork tubes is on the Front Fork assembly p.58-59 and is number 27, P/N 45750-87. The 2 screws that hold it on are P/N 4092. But your triple trees need to already have the tappings in it to mount it. My upper tree P/N is 46183-99.

And if I had to guess by looking at that cover P/N, it comes off of an '87 FXLR. But that's just a guess! ;)

Hope this all helps ya! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »

There are only 15 P/N's on p.70-71, the Handlebar Aseembly page Phil. The blank cover on top of the fork tubes is on the Front Fork assembly p.58-59 and is number 27, P/N 45750-87. The 2 screws that hold it on are P/N 4092. But your triple trees need to already have the tappings in it to mount it. My upper tree P/N is 46183-99.

And if I had to guess by looking at that cover P/N, it comes off of an '87 FXLR. But that's just a guess! ;)

Hope this all helps ya! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

that's the part, 45750-87.  My triple tree upper is the same part as yours, 46183-99. 

Thanks

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:24:22 AM »

I found the Drive Belt adjustment in Chapter 1 page 34. 

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.