Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anybody put baffle wrap in Rinehart 4"?  (Read 9580 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Anybody put baffle wrap in Rinehart 4"?
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »

Have had no issues with my Rineharts- like the sound, but sometimes when 2 up under load it's a bit much- wouldn't mind toning it down just a c*** hair, lol.

Thinking about using the Fullsac screens and a the Techmat wrap from ebay. Should be easy to install, and I figure should tone it down a bit, and probably give it an even deeper sound. The Rineharts don't come with any baffle wrap at all.

Thoughts? Anybody done this with the Rineharts?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Re: Anybody put baffle wrap in Rinehart 4"?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:14:12 AM »

Your idea sounds a lot better than what I tried on my old SEEG years ago. I had the same mufflers with true duals and wrapped both baffles with header wrap since it was just laying around in my garage. I went front to back then back to the front again and used a couple stainless hose clamps on each one to keep it in place. Turns out I just wasted my time because it actually made it louder. I would guess me wrapping it tight around the baffles bypassed all the perforations and sent all that noise straight out the pipes instead of into the muffler bodies. I should have known header wrap isn't a good sound absorbing material before I did it, but it was worth a shot and didn't cost me anything. Needless to say I removed it after a short ride and left well enough alone.     
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »

Have had no issues with my Rineharts- like the sound, but sometimes when 2 up under load it's a bit much- wouldn't mind toning it down just a c*** hair, lol.

Thinking about using the Fullsac screens and a the Techmat wrap from ebay. Should be easy to install, and I figure should tone it down a bit, and probably give it an even deeper sound. The Rineharts don't come with any baffle wrap at all.

Thoughts? Anybody done this with the Rineharts?

the screens and a once around full wrap with take the edge off the Rinehart's ... l love Rinehart's

lrubio

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:47:37 PM »

Let us know your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 01:50:26 AM »

Will do. Ordered the 1/4" thick vs the 1/2" thick Techmat. Plan to wrap it once around. Hopefully it will stay in place when sliding it in, as I don't want to have to use wire to hold it to the screens.

Going to pick it up on Friday (US mailbox), so will post an update once installed.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »

I will look forward to your feed back. I too have Rinehart and would like a little less noise.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »

What you are doing can alter the tune, as well when we tune the " known packed mufflers that blow out"  I am not a fan of tuning it with out the box mufflers as the packing will shift and alter the tune. Many times after it burns out blows out I get the call about a decell pop etc.. I can only tune what I have at the time if  that gets altered well thats that.. I am not saying it will effect it hugely or not but unless you check it you will now know..

But you want loud and reduced noise out of the same muffler.  ;)
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »

Bike came with rinehart. 
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 12:43:01 AM »

What you are doing can alter the tune, as well when we tune the " known packed mufflers that blow out"  I am not a fan of tuning it with out the box mufflers as the packing will shift and alter the tune. Many times after it burns out blows out I get the call about a decell pop etc.. I can only tune what I have at the time if  that gets altered well thats that.. I am not saying it will effect it hugely or not but unless you check it you will now know..

But you want loud and reduced noise out of the same muffler.  ;)

With quality baffle wrap held against the inside of the muffler wall with the Fullsac screens, should I expect the baffle material to blow out much?

Since I had my tune, I've went from the SE Ventilator to the SE Heavy Breather, and now with this change to the mufflers, I'll probably have my tuner do a "touch up" tune to ensure it's running at it's best.

Do you think I should wait for xx amount of miles until the packing burns in first before doing the re-tune?

Not sure what you mean by wanting loud and reduced noise out of the same muffler. I just thought for $100, it may slightly deepen/change the sound to mellow it out under load. I was considering new mufflers- Crushers (which I know you speak highly of), the Bassani DNT, or Supertrapp Stouts, but I don't know what they will sound and perform like compared to what I have, so I figure this is a less risky proposition than playing the "musical muffler" game. :)

PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:42:28 AM »

Well if you did not want a loud muffler you would not have bought what you have. So you like ti loud for most of the time but on trips its too loud..

As for the packing some times it may have little to no effect on it and other times it has a great effect. I would take your time wrap the baffle well and ride the bike and depending on what tuner you have do a few smart tunes or V tunes in the cruise area and report back on the % of change.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »

With quality baffle wrap held against the inside of the muffler wall with the Fullsac screens, should I expect the baffle material to blow out much?

Since I had my tune, I've went from the SE Ventilator to the SE Heavy Breather, and now with this change to the mufflers, I'll probably have my tuner do a "touch up" tune to ensure it's running at it's best.

Do you think I should wait for xx amount of miles until the packing burns in first before doing the re-tune?

Not sure what you mean by wanting loud and reduced noise out of the same muffler. I just thought for $100, it may slightly deepen/change the sound to mellow it out under load. I was considering new mufflers- Crushers (which I know you speak highly of), the Bassani DNT, or Supertrapp Stouts, but I don't know what they will sound and perform like compared to what I have, so I figure this is a less risky proposition than playing the "musical muffler" game. :)

the screens will keep the wrap tight against the outer wall as Steve from Fullsac explained it and the wrap will last the life of the muffler ... so no need to wait to do a tune...there is no burn time with the fullsac screens and one complete wrap around of packing material ... it will take the edge off the muffler... the tinny ringing sound you get from exhaust pulses bouncing off the inside bare metal cans ... Rinehart's are dry pack muffler's as Steve as stated ...

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »

the screens will keep the wrap tight against the outer wall as Steve from Fullsac explained it and the wrap will last the life of the muffler ... so no need to wait to do a tune...there is no burn time with the fullsac screens and one complete wrap around of packing material ... it will take the edge off the muffler... the tinny ringing sound you get from exhaust pulses bouncing off the inside bare metal cans ... Rinehart's are dry pack muffler's as Steve as stated ...

Thank you. That's exactly what I thought- using the screens will prevent any packing blowing out. I'm not complaining they are too loud- I knew what I was buying, and have been happy with them for the last 3-4 years I've been running them, but wouldn't mind taking just a bit of the edge off when under load. My BSR doesn't complain much, but the fact she wears a full face helmet, I think this will make it better for her as well.

I don't think they are too loud at idle, cruise, or full throttle- I love those sounds.

Anyways, days off are coming soon so I will be driving down to my US shipping place in NY to pick them up. Hope to have them in by the weekend.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

adkg12

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3 - CVO Screaming Eagle Road King.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »

Ill tell you what I did.  I bought V&H Slash Cut Bagger Slipons, Cut the baffle off near the end cap.  Installed INheader Big City Thunder QQ Baffles into the header pipe near the spot where the mufflers connect.  Sounded GREAT!  Really deep tone and "rumblely".  BUT it was harsh and droned so bad my head exploded.. So I took some metal farm fencing (very stiff) and cut it to length and rolled it up as to make a "cage" of sorts that just barely fit inside the muffler body.  I then bought some muffler packing for 4 cycle engines, and stripped it down until it was just a light covering on the inside of the muffler body and used the "cage" to hold it in place.  It kept the volume, and the deep tone, but calmed down the harsh overtones.  I dont like really LOUD pipes myself either but I want it to sound like a harley too!! LOL Most things I do are on a budget so I have learned to apply my years of "rigging" to make things.  It is such a small amount of packing, I didnt think it would affect the tune, but it did, ever so slightly.  Made the adjustments and all is well.  Sounds great.. unique and runs cool...Just my 2 cents.
Glen

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 09:31:57 PM »

So I finally went down to pick the screens and material today, and installed them in the mufflers.

Easy install with the Fullsac screens- they length is just right, and the fact the springy screens compress makes it much easier to install since the packing material just sits loose around the screen. Had to filddle around a bit, and slide it in nice and easy while keeping the screen compressed in order to avoid the packing bunching up.

So at idle, it definitely sounds deeper. I just rode around a country block, so I don't have a for-sure opinion, but my first impressions are this did just want I expected it too- still has that Rinehart sound, but now with a bit of the edge taken off. The 4" Rineharts never sounded too "tinney" (like the 3.5" do), but any tinniness is much reduced or gone.

I'm glad I went with the 1/4" thick material vs the 1/2" stuff- I think 1/2" might have muted it too much. I just did one wrap around.

Overall, this little mod worked well. I'm off work for 2 more days and the weather looks nice, so I'll do a couple hundred miles in the next 2 days and will update my thoughts then.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 12:42:35 AM »

Hey North Star. Thanks for the thread and the couple of PM's back and forth. As promised I am posting my results.

I ordered the same screens and 1/4" material as North Star and installed. I installed while the Rinehart mufflers were still on the header, and I also left the rinehart baffles in place while inserting the wrapped screens. It did take a little finesse as North Star mentioned, but it still only took total time of 40 mins to do both sides. I attached a picture of installation prior to putting the tip back on.

Results: In a PM from North Star he gave me a good gage of what to expect, stating something like "if the stock Rineharts had a sound level of 8, after this mod they were about a 7." I would have to say at least a 7, and maybe even a 6.5 or 6. It still sounds great, but is much more bearable. This mod accomplished exactly what I wanted.

After finishing the install I did re-flash the ECM with the original map provided by Steve George (Fullsac) when I purchased the Stainless DX Pipe and TTS. It ran great before with this map, and still does after this mod. Now that I have the exhaust the way I want it, and to be sure the tune is right, I plan to get a final dyno by Mike Stegman at Latus when he can get me in.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.