Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Tires?  (Read 15494 times)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
Tires?
« on: January 18, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »

About time to replace my rear tire. I've been told by some friends that I should go with Avon or Metezler rather that OEM (Dunlaps).  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Any input here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MJZ

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Tires?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:31:24 PM »

About time to replace my rear tire. I've been told by some friends that I should go with Avon or Metezler rather that OEM (Dunlaps).  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Any input here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MJZ

Mark...are you also replacing the front?  Personally, I don't like to mismatch tires, so if you can get another rear out of the front, I'd put the stock Dunlop back on.  If you're doing both ends, there have been some good reports on the new Dunlop Elite 3 tire, but it's a different tread pattern than the 402's...better performance from what I've read....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 12:57:04 PM »

Mark I ordered the E3's   MU90B16 for my CUSE  from  
http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=975
Tire 96.99   BACK ORDERED
Ship 15.00
Total 111.99
The only problem is that Dunlop is just now going back to work from a labor strike.  My tire was due to ship the 25th of
this month.  Got a call today and they said that they had a couple so he is shipping mine early. [smiley=orange.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
You may have a problem with inventory with the dunlop's and prices will now probably go up no that the strike is over....
go figure.
Bubba
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Bagger

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »

Thanks,
MJZ

Being the conservative type, I suggest you stick with OEM tires.  They work.  They stick. And you already know how they handle.  Why chance it with a new tire, when already know the limitations of a stock tire.

BTW, I've heard those Avon and Metzler tires don't last as long as OEM........they they stick better than OEM.  Any trruth to that?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »

I'm with you bagger, never had any problem with the OEM D402s and I plan to stick with them.  Never had a flat but if did while on road trip and had to replace tire they are very readily available.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Bagger

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »

Here again, I'm pretty conservative.....as in I'm not trying to scrape floorboards, although I have........and that set of stock tires sticks good.  The only close call I've ever had (KNOCKING ON WOOD!!!!!!!) was making a left turn off AL 85 onto Dale Co. Rd. 18 (Ozark, AL) when I hit a patch of sand...............and I'm not too sure super glue would stick in that condition.  Thankfully the patch was small, and my back tire grabbed as soon as it found asphalt again.  Needless to say, I'm very happy with stock tires.  I know folks who have used the harder compound Dunlop Elite (K451?????) and had it come out from under them because they thought they could take corners the same way they did with a stock tire.  Way too scarey for me.

On the other hand, if you don't mind the expense involved with changing tires more frequently, a softer compound would stick better, but wear out sooner.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 04:09:58 PM »

Thanks guys, this confirms what I was thinking and that was I'm happy with the OEM. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Thanks for the help! [smiley=banana.gif]

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »

All I can add is:

I don't take a chance on tires! There's only two on a motorcycle (duh) and if either one fails, I don't want to be on it. When it begins to show some wear, I'm getting new ones. If we can't afford a new tire at that point, we shouldn't own a CVO in my humble opinion.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Bagger

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 04:36:29 PM »

All I can add is:

I don't take a chance on tires! There's only two on a motorcycle (duh) and if either one fails, I don't want to be on it. When it begins to show some wear, I'm getting new ones. If we can't afford a new tire at that point, we shouldn't own a CVO in my humble opinion.

AMEN, Brother.  That sums it up.

twincam

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:40:18 PM »

I am running dunlop E3's, don't have the road groove problem like I did with stock rubbers, also seems I don't have a wobble at high speeds like with stock. I would highly recommend!!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:40:54 PM by twincam »

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »

I am running dunlop E3's, don't have the road groove problem like I did with stock rubbers, also seems I don't have a wobble at high speeds like with stock. I would highly recommend!!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Now that is interesting, might have to give that a little more thought. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Bagger

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 08:53:08 PM »

I don't have a road groove or high speed wobble problem, but that may just be relative for me............It was a problem with a skinny front tire on the Softail, and perhaps since my highest sustained speed is 85mph, I don't have a wobble problem. I'll spike at 115mph every now and then, but it is smooth as glass.

bdk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »

I have the Metezler Touring and the grip is pretty impressive, nice tire.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 01:51:08 PM »

I'm sick with the mother of all head colds today and don't feel like going back through this thread. LD is going to need new rubber soon and I've been hearing bits and pieces about Dunlop Elite III tires. What's the deal ? Are they radials ?  What's special about them ?  Humor me ok if this has all been discussed before

Thanks
            B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »

I'm sick with the mother of all head colds today and don't feel like going back through this thread. LD is going to need new rubber soon and I've been hearing bits and pieces about Dunlop Elite III tires. What's the deal ? Are they radials ?  What's special about them ?  Humor me ok if this has all been discussed before

Thanks
            B B

B B....from my reading on the subject, the E III's are not true radials, at least the ones that fit our bikes, but are LIKE radials in their construction.  From everything I've read about them, both here and elsewhere, they are very good tires.  I guess the only down side to them would be availability on the road from a HD dealer, though most Metric stores carry plentiful supplies of them.  They are on the top of my list at this point when the time comes to reshoe my bike.

Someone feel free to correct me on the radial issue for these tires if I'm mistaken...

TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 03:03:34 PM »

B B....from my reading on the subject, the E III's are not true radials, at least the ones that fit our bikes, but are LIKE radials in their construction.  From everything I've read about them, both here and elsewhere, they are very good tires.  I guess the only down side to them would be availability on the road from a HD dealer, though most Metric stores carry plentiful supplies of them.  They are on the top of my list at this point when the time comes to reshoe my bike.

Someone feel free to correct me on the radial issue for these tires if I'm mistaken...

Thanks Terry,
                  Grover ( Mark) explained that radial tires smooth out most of that thud you get when you hit a dip or a pothole you didn't see coming. If anyone can quote the correct tire sidewall info on Dunlop Elite III's to fit stock 16" rims front and rear. I'd appreciate it. As I understand you have to run radial/radial. You cannot mix so if the Elite III's mimic radials then the same would hold true - - correct ?

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »

Thanks Terry,
                  Grover ( Mark) explained that radial tires smooth out most of that thud you get when you hit a dip or a pothole you didn't see coming. If anyone can quote the correct tire sidewall info on Dunlop Elite III's to fit stock 16" rims front and rear. I'd appreciate it. As I understand you have to run radial/radial. You cannot mix so if the Elite III's mimic radials then the same would hold true - - correct ?

B B

That's my understanding, B...the radials behave differently enough that I would not want a difference between front and rear, not to mention the tread design is completely different, so that would be an issue as well.

TTS Mastertune

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 06:41:25 PM »

Recently put a set of Metzler,s on my 05 fatboy I think it the way to go ride and handeling very impressive that,s my 2 cent,s......

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 08:21:45 PM »

I put the Metzeler ME880's on my 03 SERK a couple of years ago, and went up one size in the rear, and I have had awfully good luck with them.  Just now replaced the rear because we're going to FL in about 3 wks, but it still had 2-3,000 miles on it, and was right at 12,000 miles when I took it off.  I know I could have rode it in FL, but I don't like to ride on thin tires especially when I'm that far from home.  Plus I change my own and a new rear is only about $110 from Ron Ayers, shipped.  A lot cheaper than fixing me or the bike later.
Steve

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

That's my understanding, B...the radials behave differently enough that I would not want a difference between front and rear, not to mention the tread design is completely different, so that would be an issue as well.

Any idea what a set of Dunlop Elite III' cost Terry ?  Not that money ever stopped me, but hey it's nice to know going in what the pain level's gonna be

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 10:40:53 PM »

Any idea what a set of Dunlop Elite III' cost Terry ?  Not that money ever stopped me, but hey it's nice to know going in what the pain level's gonna be

B B

Brian, right before Maggie Vally I had a pair of the E III tires installed.  Local Honda shop was the best deal I could find.  Total was $272 and some change I think.  They have a regular "special" that tire purchase includes mount and balance and they do it for any bike that rolls in; not just their Goldwings and other stuff.  So that was the complete cost.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 10:57:09 PM »

B B   this is where I ordered mine from   http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=975
The size that fits our bike is MU90B16 Rear
The Cost from the above web site is    Tire 96.99   Shipping 15.00  Total 111.99 
Most Harley shops carry this tire along with the original stock tire as well or the ones I have been in.  The only problem is that they want
as much a 190.00 for the darn thing....I have a friend that works for a motorcycle shop and his cost from Tucker Rockey is 85.00 and some change
and Free Fright so it hard for me to give over twice as much for it from a HD dealer and still have to pay to put it on....
B B  hopes this helps
Bubba
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 11:02:25 PM »

B B

B B...In checking a couple of web sites, you should be able to get them both for around 200 bucks, give or take 20, depending on shipping.

Looking at the charts, you will want the MU90B16 on the rear, rating of 78H, or 930lbs @40PSI; for the front, MT90B16, 72H.

These tires actually have a higher load rating than the stock 402's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course, Los Dragon sure would look good with a pair of new wheels and 18" radials.... ;D :carrot:

Here's link to Dunlops website to describe the tire a bit.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=86

TTS Mastertune

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 08:53:35 AM »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that Metzlers are a harder compound which reduces grip but increases tire life.  On the other end of the spectrum are the Avons which are gumballs..., i.e., a very soft compound with exceptional grip at the cost of tire life because they wear quickly.  The Dunlops are the compromise between the two.

Is this the understanding of others?
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 11:33:17 PM »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that Metzlers are a harder compound which reduces grip but increases tire life.  On the other end of the spectrum are the Avons which are gumballs..., i.e., a very soft compound with exceptional grip at the cost of tire life because they wear quickly.  The Dunlops are the compromise between the two.

I think I'd place the Metz between the Avon and Dunlop in terms of tire wear and compound.  I've run all three brands and the Metzlers seem to wear faster for me than the Dunlops.  I like the feel of the Metzlers over the Dunlops as do others but some folks swear by the Dunlops.  I'm seriously thinking of the E3's from Dunlop as a replacement for my Metzlers but haven't heard how they wear.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »

Well, I just replace my factory Dunlops with Avons (150 in rear) after 7300 miles (picked up my scoot 9/1/06).  I have run metzelers before on my 05 RKC (the factory rear got about 7500 miles as well) and after 2 rear changes they got about 7500 miles each.  Handling of the metz's far exceed stock Dunlops in all weather (especially good in rain or grooved pavement). I wanted to check out Avons as the 150 has a higher load rating than the 150 metz.

I weigh in at 245 lbs (ding!) with no passenger and I dont ride very aggressive - I've never done any burnouts.....

I'll keep the group informed on how well/many miles I get on this Avon 150 rear as I probably need to replace it before Nelson this summer.  If it does poorly, I'll probably replace them both with E3s for my summer tour.

Cheers,

Mark

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »

I wasn't real sure about the look but I have to tell you that the radial tires on the 07 serk handle great. They don't follow road grooves like my older road king. :2vrolijk_21:
WOODY

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »

Just got confermation that my new Elite 3's are to be manufactured 2nd week of March at Dunlop plant in Buffalo
Be a few weeks/month after the are manufactured that I will have them installed but excited to see the difference vs. the D402's

jeffj

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »

I'm sorry, but my eyes glaze over when I start reading tech info on tires. Someone be a nice CVO bro or sis here and just tell me what sizes I need front and rear for my 2007 Road Glide in Dunlop Elite III . That way I can take LD down to the local Honda dealer, tell him what size tires I want mounted and have it done. Oh yeah, did I mention the Honda shops are cheaper on tires than the H-D shops ?

Thanks
          B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »

B B...In checking a couple of web sites, you should be able to get them both for around 200 bucks, give or take 20, depending on shipping.

Looking at the charts, you will want the MU90B16 on the rear, rating of 78H, or 930lbs @40PSI; for the front, MT90B16, 72H.

These tires actually have a higher load rating than the stock 402's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course, Los Dragon sure would look good with a pair of new wheels and 18" radials.... ;D :carrot:

Here's link to Dunlops website to describe the tire a bit.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=86

TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 05:44:52 PM »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry TC, my bad. Now you probably think I don't read your posts. I clicked on the link on that one as soon as I saw it and forgot to read the rest

Thanks for the slap to the back of the head

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 05:53:35 PM »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry TC, my bad. Now you probably think I don't read your posts. I clicked on the link on that one as soon as I saw it and forgot to read the rest

Thanks for the slap to the back of the head

B B

:2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »

Just got confermation that my new Elite 3's are to be manufactured 2nd week of March at Dunlop plant in Buffalo
Be a few weeks/month after the are manufactured that I will have them installed but excited to see the difference vs. the D402's

jeffj

WooHoo,

Working from my home office this afternoon (15" of snow) and I noticed the FedEx guy pull up and wallah two new Dunlop Elite 3's
Impressive as the build dates were supposed to be 2nd week of March, appears the Goodyear/Dunlop after strike production is much better

jeffj

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 04:44:24 PM »

A different angle showing the tread designs of the Dunlop Elite 3's

More than likely I will not have the tires mounted and balanced till Spring sometime

SE Ultra 2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »

I run Metzler 880's front and rear which give me much better wet traction. They do square off on long freeway treks, however not as quickly as the Avons. I'm hoping to fit the Elite 3 in a 180/70/16 on some lighter wheels/rotors. Still working on getting a 17" front for us too. More will be revealed....

I know I may get flamed here..... But, I am not impressed with the D402. I can not say enough good things about the Dunlop 208 & 209 GP-As. But, that is another bike forum.

Ride On,

Andy

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2007, 09:11:55 PM »

Metzeler 880's are my choice.  Heard about the Elite 3's on this site and from the photos the tread pattern looks like a Metzeler.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:51 PM »

got my E3s mounted today...put about 50 miles on them

so far, i like em a lot

they seem stable and have a firm grip..and i didnt track the rain groove  :2vrolijk_21:

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2007, 01:01:11 AM »

Another good source for tires.  Seems like I compared prices and they may be a few dollars cheaper than other on-line vendors.  Shipping is reasonable and quick especially for those us here on the west coast.

http://www.americanmototire.com/

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 02:12:11 PM »

Metzeler 880's are my choice.  Heard about the Elite 3's on this site and from the photos the tread pattern looks like a Metzeler.

They are very similar, Pete...I guess Metz was eating Dunlop's lunch on the aftermarket stock tire sizes.

The 402' are good tires, but they do tend to follow grooves in the pavement...I've got Metz's coming, so I'll soon find out!

TTS Mastertune

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »

Brian, right before Maggie Vally I had a pair of the E III tires installed.  Local Honda shop was the best deal I could find.  Total was $272 and some change I think.  They have a regular "special" that tire purchase includes mount and balance and they do it for any bike that rolls in; not just their Goldwings and other stuff.  So that was the complete cost.
I'm going to have to check the local honda shop, I priced two HD dealerships locally and they both are 550.00 out the door! WOW!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »

I'm going to have to check the local honda shop, I priced two HD dealerships locally and they both are 550.00 out the door! WOW!

Pope Poop !!   

(holy chit !! )

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »

Holy Cow, I will ship you mine for $449.00 heck maybe even $249 ....I  guess I better keep mine
Wow, I think I would never buy anything from your dealership as I think that is outrageous

jeffj
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:25:09 PM by jeffj »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2007, 10:25:45 PM »

bought mine from the local rice burner shop...but they wont touch a HD Bike...
so i paid the stealer to put em on along with my service... 

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 09:24:07 PM »

They are very similar, Pete...I guess Metz was eating Dunlop's lunch on the aftermarket stock tire sizes.

The 402' are good tires, but they do tend to follow grooves in the pavement...I've got Metz's coming, so I'll soon find out!

TC, you will love them compared to the Dunlops.  I get about 7500 miles out of the rear and 12K on the front.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:32 AM »

What did you get? Bias Ply or Radial, and whats the difference? The stock Dunlops do follow the cracks in the road. I want to get away from that.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »

What did you get? Bias Ply or Radial, and whats the difference? The stock Dunlops do follow the cracks in the road. I want to get away from that.

CVO...I've looked at tires/charts/load ratings until I'm crosseyed, read articles on various tires, looked on other forums, etc.  I've done a LOT of research on this subject.  I've decided to go with the Metzlers as most everything I've read says they do better in the rain, don't track the grooves, and fall into the turns better than the stock 402's.  Decent milage is also obtained, again depending on how you ride, and keeping the tires inflated properly.  They do require higher air pressures in them, but no sacrifice in ride quality.  The Dunlop E3 is another good tire, from what I've read and heard, but they offer limited sizes.

I'm changing wheels too, but here's what I went with:  Metz 140/90x16 Bias Ply for the Rear tire, and 140/70x18 Bias Ply on the front.  For my style of riding (two up 98% of the time, and all bags full on trips), the size/load ratings on this set up will be comparable to the stock tires.  The Metz tires tend to run a fraction of an inch wider.  Some people say that putting a radial on back and bias on front has caused a "wiggle", some have not.  What I'm putting on my SEUC is the combination Metzler recommends if you want to go with an 18" front wheel, but even if you stick with the 16" front and rear, the combo would be almost the same.  I am going to run 3.5" width wheels on front and rear, stepping up from the 3" stock.  So, the front tire will be a bit "fatter" than the stock 402.

If you look at the Dunlop E3 and Metzler 880, the tread pattern is very similar, so I think similar results could be obtained with either one.  I personally was not comfortable mixing the radial and bias, but that is just me...others have done so without issue.  IMO, the thing to look at is how much load you put on the rear tire.  The SEUC's are heavy bikes in stock form, and everything we add to them generally adds weight...I'm sure mine is tipping the scales at over 900lbs wet, perhaps a bit more.  Hope this helped and didn't confuse the issue further....

The down side of moving away from the stock 402's is they are almost always available through any HD dealer when on the road.  Metzlers may or may not be, but almost any metric shop will have them, so I'm not real worried about finding a tire, if that is ever necessary.

TTS Mastertune

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »

CVO...I've looked at tires/charts/load ratings until I'm crosseyed, read articles on various tires, looked on other forums, etc.  I've done a LOT of research on this subject.  I've decided to go with the Metzlers as most everything I've read says they do better in the rain, don't track the grooves, and fall into the turns better than the stock 402's.  Decent milage is also obtained, again depending on how you ride, and keeping the tires inflated properly.  They do require higher air pressures in them, but no sacrifice in ride quality.  The Dunlop E3 is another good tire, from what I've read and heard, but they offer limited sizes.

I'm changing wheels too, but here's what I went with:  Metz 140/90x16 Bias Ply for the Rear tire, and 140/70x18 Bias Ply on the front.  For my style of riding (two up 98% of the time, and all bags full on trips), the size/load ratings on this set up will be comparable to the stock tires.  The Metz tires tend to run a fraction of an inch wider.  Some people say that putting a radial on back and bias on front has caused a "wiggle", some have not.  What I'm putting on my SEUC is the combination Metzler recommends if you want to go with an 18" front wheel, but even if you stick with the 16" front and rear, the combo would be almost the same.  I am going to run 3.5" width wheels on front and rear, stepping up from the 3" stock.  So, the front tire will be a bit "fatter" than the stock 402.

If you look at the Dunlop E3 and Metzler 880, the tread pattern is very similar, so I think similar results could be obtained with either one.  I personally was not comfortable mixing the radial and bias, but that is just me...others have done so without issue.  IMO, the thing to look at is how much load you put on the rear tire.  The SEUC's are heavy bikes in stock form, and everything we add to them generally adds weight...I'm sure mine is tipping the scales at over 900lbs wet, perhaps a bit more.  Hope this helped and didn't confuse the issue further....

The down side of moving away from the stock 402's is they are almost always available through any HD dealer when on the road.  Metzlers may or may not be, but almost any metric shop will have them, so I'm not real worried about finding a tire, if that is ever necessary.
But Radial or Bias ply? What are the stock Dunlops? The elite II's can handle the weight, I saw 930 lbs! I'm not changing out my wheels. I ride mostly two up fully loaded. I want long distance comfort, no tracking and durability.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 03:26:25 PM »

Bias ply is, as far as my research goes, the only thing available at this time to handle the loads you'll see with the SEUC.  The EIII's for our bikes are bias ply tires...constructed much LIKE a radial, but not a true radial.  The EIII is rated to 930...the stock 'lop is 908.  The Metz 880 rear I mentioned above is rated to 908, so no problems there either.  It's a bias ply also.  There's nothing wrong with a well constructed Bias ply tire...they just generally have higher sidewall configurations.  Both manufacturers have a nice tread design, with better wet road capabilities, from everything I've read on the subject.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.