Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Help with bike sway after new wheels installed - feels unsafe  (Read 7538 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Help with bike sway after new wheels installed - feels unsafe
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »

Another thing that can cause the "tail wagging the dog" affect relates to the head bearing preload.  While most people understand that a loose head bearing can cause front end wobble, many don't realize that a too tight head bearing can cause a weave condition where the rear moves side to side because the front can't automatically make those tiny corrections most are unaware of as they ride.  So one more item to be checked to make sure the installer actually set the preload to spec and didn't just crank it down and proclaim it good enough for government work.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »

so i had a set of dna wheels put on the bike last week,  23" front, and 18" rear.

i have this odd sway rock now, not at all speeds   and not in all gears.

at first it felt like the bike was rocking side to side at the handlebars, like the balance was off up front, but i was standing there when they balanced the front tire and got it to 0

i was on the hwy at 70,  and in 6th gear,  it got really bad, felt unsafe.   my buddy was behind me, and said he sould see the rear end swaying from side to side,  i imagine this is what is making my handle bars up front feel like they are rocking.

he said it doesn't seem like it's leaning from his view, literally that the rear end is going left then right then left then right.

again, not all speeds,

any idea what the issue is.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread.  But I can tell you that what you describe is exactly what I felt when we were on our way back from the Santa Maria weekend get together.  I was sure it was up front.  But when we stopped, the two guys riding behind me told me that my rear end was swinging from side to side as we went down the freeway.  Tires looked good, both had air.  I got back on and rode another 10-20 miles it gradually got worse.

Long story short.....it was the wheel bearings in the rear wheel.  Totally gone, the bearing races were destroyed and the hub had rusty water in it.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »

the entire rear is moving,  not the tire by itself

Have you found out anything?  Have me really curious about this as the symptoms sound exactly the same.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »

gonna drop it off tonight
2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »

Just curious, do you still have the OEM wheels? Maybe swap them back on and ride it to see if the issue is still there.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »

How did you make out with this?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 12:46:07 AM »

I haven't read all the posts in this thread.  But I can tell you that what you describe is exactly what I felt when we were on our way back from the Santa Maria weekend get together.  I was sure it was up front.  But when we stopped, the two guys riding behind me told me that my rear end was swinging from side to side as we went down the freeway.  Tires looked good, both had air.  I got back on and rode another 10-20 miles it gradually got worse.

Long story short.....it was the wheel bearings in the rear wheel.  Totally gone, the bearing races were destroyed and the hub had rusty water in it.   :nixweiss:
Might want to mention why it had "rusty water in it"
Alan

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »

How did you make out with this?

so, we took off the 6" dna tree, and put on the american suspension tree with the 11" rake, and the longer legs,  put in progressive springs.

and... same thing.

up to 65, i can ride the bike with no hands on cruise , and it's straight as an arrow.  over 70 the wobble starts, (light throttle),  80 it's horrilbe, (light throttle)

i can WOT it to 100 and it feels fine, but when you let off, it wobbles bad, til you get it down to 65,  last week on the highway, at 75 hit a bump on the highway and wobble starts and it just wont stop til you get her back to 65,  i'm at a loss,   the bike shop wants to put a "stabilizer bar"on it,  says no way its the rear bearing.   so who knows
2013 CVO Road King

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »

so, we took off the 6" dna tree, and put on the american suspension tree with the 11" rake, and the longer legs,  put in progressive springs.

and... same thing.

up to 65, i can ride the bike with no hands on cruise , and it's straight as an arrow.  over 70 the wobble starts, (light throttle),  80 it's horrilbe, (light throttle)

i can WOT it to 100 and it feels fine, but when you let off, it wobbles bad, til you get it down to 65,  last week on the highway, at 75 hit a bump on the highway and wobble starts and it just wont stop til you get her back to 65,  i'm at a loss,   the bike shop wants to put a "stabilizer bar"on it,  says no way its the rear bearing.   so who knows

Is it the same wheel with both front ends?

Also, did he shop simply "say" it wasn't the rear with the tail wagging the dog?  Or did they actually check anything?

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »

Pickard guarantees no wobble with their trees if you think it is a geometry issue. I've used several sets without a single issue.
2023 CVO Road Glide

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »

Is it the same wheel with both front ends?

Also, did he shop simply "say" it wasn't the rear with the tail wagging the dog?  Or did they actually check anything?

yes, same front wheel, i watched them balance the front, it balanced to 0,  i didn't see them balance the rear though.   all they did was change trees out, the guy at american suspension said it was the geometry of the bike, and he hasn't had any issue with the bigger wheels,  but it still didn't fix it

Pickard guarantees no wobble with their trees if you think it is a geometry issue. I've used several sets without a single issue.

actually completely untrue,  i spoke to him, and he said he tells guys they have to go to a smaller rear , a 16" to cure the "wobble",  why, i have no idea, as the overall diameter is the same.  i'm not quite sure what that has to do with it.

the guy at american suspension says thats because pickard can't get it to work with an 18 where he can,  but, mine is still doint it.

At this point, i don't know if it's a bearing, , if it's a geometry issue,  or if it's a "wheel / balance" issue.  ,  or, if its just expected with a big wheel at those speeds. 

i can ride at 65 and enjoy it,  but.....i like to go quick , and regularly do roll racing.  and highways have speed limits to 75,  so i'd really like to find the issue
2013 CVO Road King

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »

actually completely untrue, 

They offer something....  :nixweiss:

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »

Interesting as we all ran/run 18's with our 23's (6+/- of us). I went to a 16" for the low profile tire that's one inch shorter overall than the 18". I eventually went back to the 18" for the matching wheel. Regardless, you still have a wobble and need to find it.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Moabbikr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 05:07:12 PM »

I realize this is an old thread but i'm having the exact same issue, any chance you got this resolved and can share?

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.