Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Best Battery? Need a new one!  (Read 22740 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Best Battery? Need a new one!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »

I'll be happy to let you ride bitch, if you'd like! Why be in that position. Kinda vulnerable. Use the BT so it doesn't weaken if it's sitting for a period. You always have full charge. As long as it's a good battery that is! ;) Hoist! 8)
If you hook the BT up everytime you park the bike then you will have/maintain a good battery. Anyway time will tell. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59:30 PM »

Sorry fella's (Don/Howie) I tend to disagree w/the automatic replacement of the battery after 3 years if it's being maintained by a battery tender. From what I've read on batteries and how they go bad as long as it's steady charge is maintained (by use of a battery tender whenever the bikes not in operation) they should last well over three years. I'll let you know how long my goes before replacing as of now it's been in since June '04, and been on a BT whenever it's parked at home.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's precisely the point Gary.  They "should" last longer than three years.  That's why I'll replace it at three years.  It shouldn't last tremendously longer than three years.  So that's a good target zone for preventative maintenance.

I just replaced a little lawnmower battery that was a year old.  On battery tender every moment my ass wasn't on the lawnmower.  Battery in my pick up got replaced at just under four years.  Walked out one day and it was dead though showed no signs of issue the day before.  That was a regular/daily use vehicle.

It's not that I expect it die at around three years.  In fact it's precisely that I expect it to live just a little longer than that.  I don't want to push it to the point of it telling me when it's time.  If I only rode around town it'd be one thing.  But I don't ride much locally.  If I'm on the red bike it stands a good chance of going someplace farther than just across town.  That being so the cost of of a battery as preventative maintenance amortized over three years is pretty cheap.

I don't run tires until they start to bulge.  I don't wait on oil changes until the stuff show signs of putrescence.  I don't drive belts until they're throwing cord and thread.  And I try not to push a battery on a motorcycle until it's already weakened and screws me over some day.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

What about tires? Should we run those till they pop?

Wrong thread, I know, BUT, While I'm mouthing, I'm got 4500 miles on mine. I swear the rear tire is looking pretty wore. How many miles are you guys getting on a rear tire? I know it has to do with how hard you ride, I ride it hard, can't seem to help but twist that throttle occassionally.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 05:06:57 PM »

If you hook the BT up everytime you park the bike then you will have/maintain a good battery. Anyway time will tell. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Charging it doesn't guaranty a good battery. Putting it on a charger will charge or maintain charge on a good battery. If the battery goes bad, you can keep it on the charger it all you want, but it won't charge it! Do what your comfortable with. But I might piss off B B/SB for posting too much if I keep explaing this! ::) Chrome d00dads and chit with no practical value, costing buku bucks . $40/year for peace of mind knowing your battery is good-priceless! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 05:09:25 PM »

What about tires? Should we run those till they pop?

Wrong thread, I know, BUT, While I'm mouthing, I'm got 4500 miles on mine. I swear the rear tire is looking pretty wore. How many miles are you guys getting on a rear tire? I know it has to do with how hard you ride, I ride it hard, can't seem to help but twist that throttle occassionally.

I remember one of group had a back tire gone at 5600.  Yet I got 12,500 out of the original stocker (then went through two of short life span due to punctures).  Loaded weight, riding style, heavy right wrist.  It's all part of the mystic of tire wear.  What I'm curious about now is how the radials will perform that are starting to be put on some of the 07s.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 05:14:51 PM »

Yea, I've been changing rear tires on dressers about 8,000 miles or so. I just am NOT taking a chance on a tire. Seems like generally, the front tire will outlast two rears. OK, I'll shut up about tires in the battery thread.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 05:16:14 PM »

Yea, I've been changing rear tires on dressers about 8,000 miles or so. I just am NOT taking a chance on a tire. Seems like generally, the front tire will outlast two rears. OK, I'll shut up about tires in the battery thread.

It's ok HB, this thread had been on course for almost 2 1/2 pages.  I think that's a record here  :-\ ?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

Let me get it back on track.

I'm good friends with Hoist and I totally understand what he's saying, WHY chance a battery when they are so cheap to replace?

I'm good friends with firedood too. I've read a lot about battery tenders extending the life of a motorcycle battery up to 9 years. WHY change a perfectly good battery?

On this issue dammit, I'm sticking with my friends.

BTW, Kentucky was neutral in the civil war.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 05:25:17 PM »

I'm good friends with Hoist and I totally understand what he's saying, WHY chance a battery when they are so cheap to replace?

I'm good friends with firedood too. I've read a lot about battery tenders extending the life of a motorcycle battery up to 9 years. WHY change a perfectly good battery?

But HB, every good conflict needs a fifth column.  The instigating middle is where all the fun is.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »

But HB, every good conflict needs a fifth column.  The instigating middle is where all the fun is.

You're asking me to post about tires more?

I'm just trying to get my post count up.

I'd never try and instigate anything.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »

:huepfenlol2: LOL!!! Good answer!! I understand where both Howie and Don are coming from, but in this case I'm going to have to find out just how good a BT is going to be. With Harley shops popping up like Starbucks to be somewhere and battery goes tits up to me is going to be a minor inconvenience. Along w/knowing how long batter will last w/battery tender it will allow me to test out my HOG membership and get my bike picked up and taken to a dealership. Anyway the jury is still out on the battery.

BTW you mentioned tires I'm going to stick my new hip on the chopping block again and say that I got 15k out of a rear tire before it was changed. Granted I didn't have any trips planned as it got close to this mileage and wanted to see how long it would last so I may have taken it to the extreme. Will also mention that if I've a ride planned (locally) and they are calling for rain I'll not pull my bike out, so getting caught in bad weather (rain) wasn't an issue. Also remember during the time I was stretching this tire out I was having problems w/my hip so there was another reason I wouldn't ride in rain. It was hard enough holding bike and myself up on dry pavement I wasn't about to try this on wet pavement. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »

You're asking me to post about tires more?

I'm just trying to get my post count up.

I'd never try and instigate anything.

So which one was your beer choice  :nixweiss: ?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 05:34:43 PM »

:huepfenlol2: LOL!!! Good answer!! I understand where both Howie and Don are coming from, but in this case I'm going to have to find out just how good a BT is going to be. With Harley shops popping up like Starbucks to be somewhere and battery goes tits up to me is going to be a minor inconvenience. Along w/knowing how long batter will last w/battery tender it will allow me to test out my HOG membership and get my bike picked up and taken to a dealership. Anyway the jury is still out on the battery.

BTW you mentioned tires I'm going to stick my new hip on the chopping block again and say that I got 15k out of a rear tire before it was changed. Granted I didn't have any trips planned as it got close to this mileage and wanted to see how long it would last so I may have taken it to the extreme. Will also mention that if I've a ride planned (locally) and they are calling for rain I'll not pull my bike out, so getting caught in bad weather (rain) wasn't an issue. Also remember during the time I was stretching this tire out I was having problems w/my hip so there was another reason I wouldn't ride in rain. It was hard enough holding bike and myself up on dry pavement I wasn't about to try this on wet pavement. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Well, Waiting to see how long a battery lasts is a FAR different issue than seeing how many miles you can run a tire before it blows out. BUT, I think you know that already. Myself, I ain't taking a chance on a tire.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »

So which one was your beer choice  :nixweiss: ?

Yet another topic under "Battery"? Is this for CVO related, NON-CVO related? Screaming Eagle specific? OH hell, I drink about any kinda beer, room temperature, cold, light beer, heavy beer.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »

Batteries are still relatively unpredictable things after a point, unfortunately.  The Gels and maintainence free stuff has really helped matters a great deal, but when the chemicals/plates stop working, they tend to do so suddenly and without much warning.  Plates break, vibrate loose, etc.  Preventing them from cycling down and back up helps a lot in the longevity (BT), but in the end, if I've got a three year battery, I start getting nervous after about 3.5 and figure I'm livin' on borrowed time.  And with my luck, mine would FU out in BFE after I got through wizzin' in the bushes, and I'd be in a place with no downhill or flat ground for miles. :nervous:  And I ain't big enough to push the bitch off.  My old VW's were easier to push, I think...they got pushed a lot ;-)

The Vrod is the worst...the battery in it is just barely big enough to turn the motor over with 11:1 compression, even if it's just been sitting a week.  If you've got a V, you'd better keep it on a BT ALL the time if you don't ride it every day.

And Winston County, Alabama was neutral during "The War" as well.....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.