Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skylink remote control and Mighty Mule Garage Door Opener Compatibility  (Read 983 times)

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"

I have a 2013 SEUC CVO and it came with the Skylink garage door remote control model HD-838R. I have never used the unit prior to me installing a new Mighty Mule model MM9545M garage door opener.
I have linked the Skylink transmitter that is installed under the fairing on the bike to the Skylink receiver and hard wired the receiver to the new Mighty Mule garage door opener. I toggle the light switch on the bike and the receiver clicks and the red light flashes but the Mighty Mule door opener does not respond. I have moved the Skylink receiver location from near the opener to a location within the garage as far away from the opener as I can get but still no response.
Any suggestions as to how I can get the two units to talk to one another?
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

Glenncarp

I have a 2013 SEUC CVO and it came with the Skylink garage door remote control model HD-838R. I have never used the unit prior to me installing a new Mighty Mule model MM9545M garage door opener.
I have linked the Skylink transmitter that is installed under the fairing on the bike to the Skylink receiver and hard wired the receiver to the new Mighty Mule garage door opener. I toggle the light switch on the bike and the receiver clicks and the red light flashes but the Mighty Mule door opener does not respond. I have moved the Skylink receiver location from near the opener to a location within the garage as far away from the opener as I can get but still no response.
Any suggestions as to how I can get the two units to talk to one another?

Never heard of Might Mule openers. I can tell you though that if they operate like Ryobi openers, the HD system will not work with the opener. I simple took my remote that came with the Ryobi and used double sided tape and it fit in my Road Glide glove box on the curved outer wall like it was meant to be there. Flip open glove box, mash either button, door opens. Saved me tons of money and hours of frustration, The entire garage door opening wold works on a very simple radio frequency model, but our friends at HD have to muck it up and put their retarded twist on a  simple theory to make us spend money and hours reinventing the wheel.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I'm not familiar with the brand of door opener you mentioned.  However, if it is similar to other new openers that have a multi-function wall control there may be a simple work around to get your receiver to communicate with the actual opener.  I assume you connected the two wires coming from the receiver to the connections on the opener for the wall control.  With the older single function systems with a simple open/close switch that would work, but the new multi-function systems will not.  The reason is that the multi-function wall controls use the same two wires to send all the various signals to the opener, not just the open/close signal.  Each function sends a slightly different signal to the opener.  What you need to do is connect the two wires from the Skylink or Harley receiver directly to the contacts for the open/close button on the circuit board. 

There is a guy who offers a hardware modification to the Harley receivers that will allow direct communication to various openers, I don't know if he can help you with your particular system but it might be worth a call.

https://www.creativeaccesssolutions.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:58:46 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Glenncarp

This guy is awesome, I sent him remote and he wired it with HD receiver, however, it worked with new Ryobi seamlessly. Highly recommend.

One caveat with new Ryobi, and I am sure many other new openers; they do not have you run wires at all. All done by WIFi now. So Creative Solutions fixes the issue for very reasonable cost

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
Re: Skylink remote control and Mighty Mule Garage Door Opener Compatibility
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 05:18:24 PM »

Thanks guys for your knowledgeable input. I haven't been online in a while so forgive me for this late response and Thank You!!
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.