Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: My 2002 FLHRSEI Brandywine SERK  (Read 16522 times)

OddN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
My 2002 FLHRSEI Brandywine SERK
« on: September 03, 2020, 05:18:30 AM »

I recently became the owner of this bike, which has been my absolute favourite for many years.

Started my Harley adventure on a 2005 Road King Classic that served me flawlessly for 80000km, and traded that for a 2012 Ultra Limited that also performed good for around 60000km. But the lust for a Brandywine SERK was always there so when this bike came up for sale I just had to have it. It's a rare bike with only 408 produced, and only four has ever been imported to Norway. Actually it is now only three remaining in the original paint scheme, as I was told that one of the four had an accident and has now been repainted in black. So, as you probably understand they don't show up very often for sale here.

When searching the web for info on these bikes I stumbled across an ad on Chopper Exchange dated late 2011, and I'm pretty sure this is my exact bike. In the ad it has 18 inch wire wheels, an Arlen Ness dash and a Corbin solo seat with passenger pillion and backrest, all in matching studded leather. All these addons are on my bike also. And the date matches pretty well when my bike was imported to Norway (first registered here early 2012).  Unfortunately the original parts are long gone, but I will start searching for them in the future. Here's a link to the ad, and also a pic from back then:

https://www.chopperexchange.com/For-Sale/Harley-Davidson/Screamin_Eagle_Road_King/223542

OddN

• Full CVO Member

Re: My 2002 FLHRSEI Brandywine SERK
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:56:32 AM »

Here's a pic from the ad the previous owner had this summer here in Norway. He added the passing lamps, and licence plate relocation kit, both addons that I plan to keep (and they are easy to remove, should I want to later):

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 07:57:27 AM »

Another one:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »

The bike is a very early 2002 model. The label with the production date is barely visible due to rubbing from the clutch cable, but an educated guess tells me the label says 07/01 although only the very top of the numbers are visible:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 08:05:41 AM »

The date also corresponds well with this sticker inside the left saddlebag:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »

I've been playing with the Harley VIN-lookup together with a check digit calc, trying to replicate all VIN's for Brandywine SERK's and I think I have all 408 of them. Don't know if that is ok to display here in public?

Anyways, mine is the second bike of the 408 destined for California. That is assuming they came from the factory in the same order they received their VIN's, which probably wasn't always the case...

According to the ad from 2011 the bike was sold new at Orange County Harley-Davidson in Irvine in southern California and it spent most of its time in the San Diego area. Up to 2011 that is.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:36:47 AM by OddN »

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »

Parts that I'm a little uncertain if I want to keep are the wheels, the nostalgic saddlebag guards and the 14" ape hangers.

The saddlebag guards are easy enough to remove, but I think I will try to adjust them first. As they now sits, they interfere too much with the flames on the bag itself, and they are not even parallell with the bottom of the bag. And that doesn't go to well with my self diagnosed OCD (or was it CDO?)  :)

The apes are growing on me as I ride, so maybe they can stay. I kind of like the look.

Wheels... Wire wheels are nice, but this setup with 18" both front and rear just doesn't look right in my eyes. So I think I will either try to find a set of original 16" Centerlines, or I will take the wire wheel setup a little further and get a 21" for the front. That would go nicely with the apes and the bikes early history beeing from So Cal. Maybe going for a Vicla style bike.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 09:28:32 AM »

Sweet ride!  If you were in the states I’d buy those wheels for my dad’s RK (I think they look great)! I agree with you about ditching the saddlebag guards they just don’t go well with the clean lines of the bike (IMHO).

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 09:29:25 AM »

As far as inspiration goes, there are two threads here that immideately caught my eye, one is the Long term project of Twolanerider, an extremely well built and tastefully modified SERK, the other one is the Shop bike of Black Diamond, also a well built bike with some very nice addons.

Actually I really did like the Corbin solo seat on my bike, that is, until I saw the C&C seat Black Diamond had on his. Now I can't get that solo seat with the stingray inlays out of my head, and I think it will be only a matter of time before I give C&C a call to see if the can make another one...

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »

Sweet ride!  If you were in the states I’d buy those wheels for my dad’s RK (I think they look great)! I agree with you about ditching the saddlebag guards they just don’t go well with the clean lines of the bike (IMHO).

Thanks. I tend to agree with you on the guards, but I will try to adjust them first. But it won't come as a surprise if I ditch them altogether.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 09:34:09 AM »

Also, I really like the apes but I would ditch the tassels, again, just my opinion.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »

One other thing I would do is start a petition with your fellow bikers to reduce the size of that license plate (holy crap that thing is huge!).

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »

Also, I really like the apes but I would ditch the tassels, again, just my opinion.
The tassels stayed with the previous owner. Don't like them either  ;D

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »

One other thing I would do is start a petition with your fellow bikers to reduce the size of that license plate (holy crap that thing is huge!).

Funny you should mention it, there is a huge group in the classic car/bike community here in Norway that is already on to it. But so far, only car owners that can prove that the regular plate doesn't fit can use smaller plates. Hopefully we can all do that some day.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »

Just saw this thread.  That candy-brandy flamed paint scheme is my all time favorite HD paint set also.  Just love that set of tins.

Mine was a labor of fun that went in to (probably) way too much detail for any sanity's sake.  So pleased you enjoyed the effort.  I know the other bike you mentioned also.  He had it down here once and we did a little work to it.  Saddles should make your butt happy first.  After that chase the looks until your heart/butt is content.

I get the feeling you're going to have a long term fun bike and project ahead of you.  Congrats and enjoy!

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 04:52:38 AM »

Just saw this thread.  That candy-brandy flamed paint scheme is my all time favorite HD paint set also.  Just love that set of tins.

Mine was a labor of fun that went in to (probably) way too much detail for any sanity's sake.  So pleased you enjoyed the effort.  I know the other bike you mentioned also.  He had it down here once and we did a little work to it.  Saddles should make your butt happy first.  After that chase the looks until your heart/butt is content.

I get the feeling you're going to have a long term fun bike and project ahead of you.  Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks. Yes, it will definitely be a long term project, with the intention to keep the bike running every summer. We have cold winters here in Norway, that means the bike will sit still at least from october to march, so I will have plenty of time to make improvements. And in the summer, I can chase the missing parts.

One of my favourite mods on your bike is the powdercoated frame, a feature I have admired ever since I first saw the original Fat Boy in 1990, and something that has been a CVO trademark since the very beginning of the CVO lineup. I will probably never have the patience to do that on my bike, but it's a long term dream, so maybe one winter I will have the guts to tear the bike apart...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 07:08:02 AM »

Thanks. Yes, it will definitely be a long term project, with the intention to keep the bike running every summer. We have cold winters here in Norway, that means the bike will sit still at least from october to march, so I will have plenty of time to make improvements. And in the summer, I can chase the missing parts.

One of my favourite mods on your bike is the powdercoated frame, a feature I have admired ever since I first saw the original Fat Boy in 1990, and something that has been a CVO trademark since the very beginning of the CVO lineup. I will probably never have the patience to do that on my bike, but it's a long term dream, so maybe one winter I will have the guts to tear the bike apart...

However far you choose to go with it is no great matter.  Do what you want as you want and you feel comfortable.  The work will get easier and more familiar every time and the bike will become more yours with each task.  Have fun.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »

Tried to lower the rear mount on the saddlebag guards. Now they are parallell to the bottom of the bags, they no longer interfere with the flames. Better, but Im still not sure I will keep them on.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 11:05:12 PM »

Tried to lower the rear mount on the saddlebag guards. Now they are parallell to the bottom of the bags, they no longer interfere with the flames. Better, but Im still not sure I will keep them on.

I've liked and used those rear guards against solid color bags.  Don't think I could make myself use them to clutter up the flames on a candy-brandy SERK.  Be like putting steel bars between you and a pretty girl.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »

Be like putting steel bars between you and a pretty girl.

They will come off. You persuaded me.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 09:54:28 AM »

Saddlebag guards are off. And the bike looks a lot better. I also put on the V&H exhaust that came with the bike. But now I need two new filler strips. The ones on the bike has been cut to allow space for the guards... I guess I'll go for some chrome ones until a set in brandywine shows up for sale. Or maybe a decent painter could match the color? Both purple ones and anniversary gold are available on the bay, but no brandywine ones.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »

I also had to try on the passenger pillion and backrest that I got with the bike. They look like they have never been used. Both solo seat and passenger pillion are from Corbin, but I wonder if the backrest is a HD piece since it has the HD V-logo on the back?

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »

Back:

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 10:06:39 AM »

Saddlebag guards are off. And the bike looks a lot better. I also put on the V&H exhaust that came with the bike. But now I need two new filler strips. The ones on the bike has been cut to allow space for the guards... I guess I'll go for some chrome ones until a set in brandywine shows up for sale. Or maybe a decent painter could match the color? Both purple ones and anniversary gold are available on the bay, but no brandywine ones.

YES! Looks much better!

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 10:14:38 AM »

However, in the future I want to go back to the (somewhat) original look, and get a seat with the correct stingray inlays. Preferably to a solo+pillion either from Corbin or from C&C, or if I can find a good original 2002 seat that will also do.

So when this NOS back rest showed up for sale I just had to have it. It was mislabeled and the seller didn't know what it was for. But I took a chance that it was the correct stingray type. And I believe it is  ;D

I know the "sissy bar mount" came in different heights, and I'm not sure the one I have is the stock height. Somehow it looks higher than on some pictures of original bikes, but it might just be the pad that is on now that is bigger.

Backrest will stay in the box until I find a seat to go with it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »

Brandywine OE parts are made from unobtanium.  Something you just never see.  However......

House of Kolor's Candy Brandywine is really really close.  Since part of the match is the art of the painter it may even be the same stuff.  This is the color the painter locally used when I added my tour pak and again when I switch from the original equipment to the extended saddlebags.

The painter kept an original piece so he could practice a little with number of coats, pressure, etc.  But he got a really good match with no other mixing.  Nailed it with just application methods. 

https://www.amazon.com/House-Kolor-KBC01-4Z-BRANDYWINE-Bottle/dp/B00EAZXV8Y?th=1

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »

And, oh yeah, that looks a lot better!  :2vrolijk_21:

Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 07:48:55 PM »

Do you know why it doesn't have the original SE dash?
2002 Road King Classic (117ci  (CR 10.62:1 / 
S&S 4 3/8” Flywheel / Baisley Superstock Plus Heads (83cc 1.94” I / 1.630” E)
4.125" Axtell cylinders / 4.125” JE -0.10" dished
0.030" Head Gasket / TMan 625G cam /
HPI 55mm TB / HPI 5.3 Injectors / Trask Assault A/C / FM Jackpot RTX 2-1

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 08:13:43 PM »

It and that big horn cover you see.  Part of the fad 15 years ago.  I think Harley made the original dash obsolete a couple years ago also.  If that's correct just have to watch for used that's either good or good enough to be plated. 

The 1550 rear fender emblem placed up high isn't normal either.  That emblem belongs down low on the fender below the license plate.  With the solo seat installed I've done the same thing though.  Using the emblem to cover the rear mount hole for the seat and with the huge rear plate his MoT requires it's not like you could see the cool 1550 emblem down there anyway.  So might as well move it up where you can enjoy it.  Stuff like that is too anyone's individual taste. 

Would be nice to find a correct dash for it though.  Those were only used on the 02, 03 and 07 SERKs.  Always thought they were a good looking piece.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:15:29 PM by Twolanerider »

PBSTN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 09:03:00 PM »

Beautiful bike. Congrats.
2001 flhr-traded
2010 fltrx-sold
2010 flhr
2003 flhrsei2

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 03:35:44 AM »

No idea. It was already switched in the ad from California in 2011, so I guess it was done at least ten years ago. I plan to take the dash off and check for damages to the tank before I start searching for an original dash. Maybe the original owner dropped something and made a scratch, and felt he had to cover it up...

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 03:44:12 AM »

It and that big horn cover you see.  Part of the fad 15 years ago.  I think Harley made the original dash obsolete a couple years ago also.  If that's correct just have to watch for used that's either good or good enough to be plated. 

The 1550 rear fender emblem placed up high isn't normal either.  That emblem belongs down low on the fender below the license plate.  With the solo seat installed I've done the same thing though.  Using the emblem to cover the rear mount hole for the seat and with the huge rear plate his MoT requires it's not like you could see the cool 1550 emblem down there anyway.  So might as well move it up where you can enjoy it.  Stuff like that is too anyone's individual taste. 

Would be nice to find a correct dash for it though.  Those were only used on the 02, 03 and 07 SERKs.  Always thought they were a good looking piece.

Was there anything special with the horn cover on these bikes, or was it just the standard horn cover that came on all bikes?

The 1550 emblem was moved by the previous owner here in Norway, and was done when the license plate relocation was done. As you say, you couldnt see it on the bottom of the fender anyways with the license plate covering it. So that's a nice mod I think.

I have a couple of used dashes in sight on the ebay, but will check the tank for possible damages first.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 03:45:34 AM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »

Was there anything special with the horn cover on these bikes, or was it just the standard horn cover that came on all bikes?

The 1550 emblem was moved by the previous owner here in Norway, and was done when the license plate relocation was done. As you say, you couldnt see it on the bottom of the fender anyways with the license plate covering it. So that's a nice mod I think.

I have a couple of used dashes in sight on the ebay, but will check the tank for possible damages first.

The seat you have now will not line up well with the narrow stock dash that originally came on your bike. So that is another consideration.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »

And.... sorry missed this, the stock horn cover is just the normal horn cover used for a million years on a bajillion bikes.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »

The seat you have now will not line up well with the narrow stock dash that originally came on your bike. So that is another consideration.

Thanks. Another consideration regarding new seat. Good to know.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »

Thanks. Another consideration regarding new seat. Good to know.

Yes, most bikes had some version of that wide and normal dash with the nose of the seat formed to match.  The SE Road Kings had the different dash that was much narrower down at its tail with the seat sculpted ot match.  Your wide seat was bolt down ok.  It'd just look funny.  This pic is an 03 but it's the same dash.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2020, 03:33:20 PM »

Also, and not sure if you've got them or not, but there are 02 and color specific versions of the 1550 air cleaner, derby and timer covers.  The fender emblem you've already got.  Horn cover is normal stock if you happen to want that.  But it's all done to whatever you like best.  Unless you hate it the SERK dash is a nice looking part though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:26:54 PM by Twolanerider »

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2020, 04:02:11 PM »

I worked at the dealership when these bikes were new. Always loved that color! Great bike!

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 03:12:35 AM »

Also, and not sure if you've got them or not, but there are 02 and color specific versions of the 1550 air cleaner, derby and timer covers.  The fender emblem you've already got.  Horn cover is normal stock if you happen to want that.  But it's all done to whatever you like best.  Unless you hate it the SERK dash is a nice looking part though.

I have all the color specific covers so no problem there.

I really want to get my hands on the correct dash but I guess I'll have to wait until I get a new seat as well. I remember reading something in your thread about some seats not matching the dash very well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:17:32 AM by OddN »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »

I have all the color specific covers so no problem there.

I really want to get my hands on the correct dash but I guess I'll have to wait until I get a new seat as well. I remember reading something in your thread about some seats not matching the dash very well.

The seat/dash mating is pretty obvious after you've seen on.  The SE Road King dash is narrow down where it meets the seat.  The seats that look better next to it don't have that wide and flat nose out on their front end but instead are tapered in some to meet the narrower dash.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »

I had the dash off the other day, and no obvious damage to the tank other than some minor scratches from where the rubber strip has been rubbing. Hopefully they will all go away with a good buffing.

Found a used dash from a 2007 on the bay, and it is on its way over. I also ordered a silver speedometer face with km/h numbers. A fellow Road King owner here in Norway had a spare speedometer from a SERK lying around, so I won't have to sacrifice the one I have.  Mileage will still be in miles, but at least I won't have to sit and calculate speed as I ride. Although I've learned pretty fast how to.

Just hope the new dash is in decent condition so it won't need a rechrome, just a good clean and polish. It also has the ignition switch surround with the "Screamin Eagle Road King" script, however that looks a bit faded, so I might have to geet a new one. But that is a restricted part isn't it? Meaning I will have to find me a 2007 owner willing to order one for me, right?

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 12:04:54 PM »

New speedometer face:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »

Another thing that has been bugging me (and was bugging the previous owner as well) is a slight misfire when cruising at 2000-2500 rpm on level ground. It only happens when the engine is warm, and only when cruising. If I twist the handle it responds immediately without any hesitation.

I checked for fault codes, and only one was present: Engine temp sensor low voltage. I have ordered a new sensor, and hopefully that will solve it. If not, maybe I will have to try and follow the wires from the sensor and check for any short.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »

I had the dash off the other day, and no obvious damage to the tank other than some minor scratches from where the rubber strip has been rubbing. Hopefully they will all go away with a good buffing.

Found a used dash from a 2007 on the bay, and it is on its way over. I also ordered a silver speedometer face with km/h numbers. A fellow Road King owner here in Norway had a spare speedometer from a SERK lying around, so I won't have to sacrifice the one I have.  Mileage will still be in miles, but at least I won't have to sit and calculate speed as I ride. Although I've learned pretty fast how to.

Just hope the new dash is in decent condition so it won't need a rechrome, just a good clean and polish. It also has the ignition switch surround with the "Screamin Eagle Road King" script, however that looks a bit faded, so I might have to geet a new one. But that is a restricted part isn't it? Meaning I will have to find me a 2007 owner willing to order one for me, right?

Yes, the special 2007 ignition switch ring and ignition switch are restricted parts.  As of last fall the ring was still available for purchase though.  Watch for an 07 bike on eBay and borrow its VIN number to make your purchase.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2020, 12:44:28 PM »

Changed out the ET-sensor and after some days the error code disappeared. Manual says it needs around 50 start/stop sequences to erase a historic error code so it took some time. Took a short trip and it seems the misfire is gone. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »

That's  good news.  Have to love it when the fixes are simple and at least relatively easy on the wallet.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »

Yes, the special 2007 ignition switch ring and ignition switch are restricted parts.  As of last fall the ring was still available for purchase though.  Watch for an 07 bike on eBay and borrow its VIN number to make your purchase.

Got the dash today, and after some cleanup the chrome turned out really nice. However the ignition switch ring is so faded I'd really like a new one. Tried to order one via a european dealer (cannot order from a US one due to H-D's export restrictions) but just having a 2007 VIN wasn't enough. they required a "proof of ownership" as well. Guess I need some help from a 2007 owner for that one.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2020, 05:51:00 AM »

Test fitted the dash, and it was a small nightmare to get the wires to lay where they should. That is, until I tried to place them between the dash and the two clips, that initially only held the gasket, so the clips would also hold the wires in place. I guess that is how it was suppose to be, because then everything went on flawlessly.

But it is now obvious that I need to do something about the seat...

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2020, 05:52:23 AM »

And a pic that shows the faded ignition switch ring:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2020, 05:42:11 AM »

Late night browsing on the ebay is kind of dangerous...

I found a seat advertised as a "CVO Road King Corbin Classic Solo" so I bought it in a bit of a rush. But upon checking the markings on the seat I became a little confused.

Seat bottom says "HD-FLH F4 CVO". Couldn't find that seat on the Corbin Website, but I found it on a german Corbin retailers site, stating it is for the 2004/05 SEEG (CVO Electra Glide). Then, after some searching I found it to be a relatively good fit for the SERK, definitely a better fit than the Road King Corbin seat I currently have. Actually I found several postings on this forum regarding these seats and the compatibility between SEEG, SERK and also regular FLHX seats. Seems the dash of all these bikes are of similar length. So I guess the seller had the seat on his SERK and just assumed it was made for that bike. Seat is currently in the mail, and I'm curious to se how it will actually fit. But it looks good in the pics. I also kind of like the chrome rail, we'll se if I keep that. Also, the rumors travel pretty fast, so a fellow Road King owner here in Norway has already commented that he would like to buy my old Corbin seat, so  hopefully the new seat will be a nice fit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2020, 10:06:11 PM »

You will be fine. The nose of the saddles for the '04-05 SEEGs are a good match to the SERK dash.  If you've seen a picture of the solo saddle on mine that is a SEEG saddle.

The Corbin Solo seats come in both a close and a standard variant. Your part number will be a standard. Mine is a close. that means mine is a little closer to the windshield and a little lower. That's just the seat pocket though. The fitment against the dash would be the same on both.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2020, 10:07:29 PM »

Just looked at your picture again and it appears your saddle has the place in the back for the backrest. The Corbin backrests are really nice for longer days. Just something to keep in mind when you want to take advantage of short summers and ride all day long.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2020, 05:17:25 AM »

Just looked at your picture again and it appears your saddle has the place in the back for the backrest. The Corbin backrests are really nice for longer days. Just something to keep in mind when you want to take advantage of short summers and ride all day long.

Thats one of the things I'm a little curious about. I have a backrest on my current Corbin, but Ive seen two different versions of the mount. One is a square rod and the other is a flat piece of steel. I have the square one and I hope the new seat is the same. Looks like it based on the hole in the leather flap. Haven't used the backrest much around town, but it was nice on the long way home when I bought the bike some 300 miles away.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »

And as I was writing the previous message, I got a text message from my local post office that the package was ready for pickup. Naturally I rushed down and collected it. After a quick test fit a couple of issues became clear. But first the good news. The fit against the dash is very good. I really like this:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »

The seat didn'c come with a bracket. This seat has the newer Corbin lock system, and fortunately the key was present. The bracket however was not. Upon reading the ebay ad more closely, there is no bracket in the photos, nor is it mentioned in the text either so I guess that is my fault not checking better. Anyways, I need a bracket. I sent an email to Corbin, but that will probably take some time, so in the meantime I will have to come up with something clever. It's not a very complicated bracket to fabricate, but in order to get the seat exactly where it should be it will be some trial and error I guess. The locking pin was in fact there so I only need to fabricate the bracket itself.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2020, 07:33:38 AM »

This is the bracket I need so if anyone have one I'd really appreciate some measurements...

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »

Another issue is the edge of the seat where it meets the saddlebag guards. I guess the SEEG doesn't have the guards, because the edge of the seat is straight and not curved around the guard like on my old seat.

I suppose I will have to loosen the seat cover and remove some of the edge in order to make it fit properly.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2020, 07:38:39 AM »

Because of the saddlebag guards the seat also sits too high in the rear, this will also be better when I modify the seat:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2020, 07:39:53 AM »

And as you can see, the old backrest also matched perfectly.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »

The saddlebag guards....  Correct.  SEEG did not have them so any seat whose original mold was built for a bike without them won't have the notch.  Don't let that deter you.  It's not a big.

Drill out a few rivets that would surround the area where the notch needs to be.  Roll the leather back far enough to clear those areas and with a sanding wheel on a Dremel notch out the fiberglass.  Then roll the leather back down and put some new pop rivets back in.  First time I did one it took me two hours.  By the fourth time was in and out in 30 minutes.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »

The saddlebag guards....  Correct.  SEEG did not have them so any seat whose original mold was built for a bike without them won't have the notch.  Don't let that deter you.  It's not a big.

Drill out a few rivets that would surround the area where the notch needs to be.  Roll the leather back far enough to clear those areas and with a sanding wheel on a Dremel notch out the fiberglass.  Then roll the leather back down and put some new pop rivets back in.  First time I did one it took me two hours.  By the fourth time was in and out in 30 minutes.

Thanks. That will be on my to do list for tomorrow. Also need to find some flat iron to fabricate the bracket.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »

Fabricated a seat bracket, and modified the seat pan. Now everything looks much better. I'm very pleased with the recent changes, both the dash and the new seat:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2020, 11:00:53 PM »

Oh yeah, that looks great.  That was an improvement worth chasing :drink: .

If the now somewhat vacant backend begins to get to you there's always a razor or other size tour pak you could hang back there.  Of if you just want a splash of chrome in a smaller visual bite than a tour pak there are some detachable luggage racks that don't look too bad.  They exist to mount in either solo saddle or a dual saddle location.  Or you could leave that gorgeous ass end just the way it is!

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »

It's winter time here in Norway, and the SERK is resting under its cover. -16 C and quite a bit of snow outside. Only two wheel activity is on my e-bike with studded tires. And when back inside I try to source some original parts for the SERK.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:14 AM »

Some of the parts chasing done this winter:

I got hold of two original Centerline wheels, although I suspect the rear to be off a 2005 CVO Fat Boy. The front though is confirmed to be off a 2002 SERK. Don't know if I will use them, but I just had to have them. Both will need new tires as they are really old, but with the front wheel having the wide whitewalls, I can check to see if I like that look before I order any.

Also got a stock rear turn signal bar. My bike has the custom turn signal bar with the low down license plate relocation kit, and I really like that look. But the stock bar turned up and I grabbed it.Will probably never go on the bike as long as I have it.

And finally, I got two rear saddlebag filler panels. They are from a purple SERK, but I will try and find a good painter locally.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »

The purple stuff:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2021, 09:08:03 AM »

If doing a repaint the House of Kolor brand Candy Brandywine is a really close match.  Close enough that a good painter can make it work.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »

If doing a repaint the House of Kolor brand Candy Brandywine is a really close match.  Close enough that a good painter can make it work.

Thanks. I will try and find someone locally who knows the House of Kolor line.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »

Found a couple of saddlebag fillers in the correct color from one of the Harley recyclers that constantly advertises on ebay. They have some small stone chips but over all they look ok. At least they look a million times better than the hacked pieces that are on my bike right now. Same recycler had a lot of other brandywine parts, and I was tempted to buy the left side cover as well, but it too had some damage. So I passed on that. The one I have looks good on the outside, but is missing one of the mounting pins on the back.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »

And I had my first run of the season yesterday. Dusty but dry roads and around 10 degrees C. Not bad for early March here in Norway.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2021, 08:39:46 PM »

Looks good.  Nice score on the filler strips.  I'd seen those side panels and other parts listed.  Another of the few of these bikes has bit the dust and is being parted out.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2021, 08:21:03 AM »

Looks good.  Nice score on the filler strips.  I'd seen those side panels and other parts listed.  Another of the few of these bikes has bit the dust and is being parted out.

One man's loss is another man's gain...

Always sorry to se another brandywine being parted out, and by the looks in the video they made of the salvaged bike it didn't look too badly damaged at all. Could be frame damage that didn't show though. But probably still worth more in parts I guess. And thanks to the internet the parts will keep other brandywine bikes (mine included) on the road and looking good in the years to come.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »

Another tiny detail in place. Subtle but important. An ignition switch from a 2007 CVO. I was a bit nervous when dismantling the lock, as I wasn't sure exactly how it would come apart. Initially I thought I'd change only the hinged cover, but I couldn'd find a way to safely remove the hinge pin, so I ended up removing the lock cylinder from my old switch and fitting it to the 07 lock. As far as I know the bike has all its original locks, and I want to keep it that way.

Still want to replace the ring surrounding the switch for a better one, or preferably a new one, but as it is a restricted part I need to find a kind soul with a 2007 bike who would be willing to order one for me...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »

Nice little addition.  Few of us would know it wasn't made that way to begin with; but it's a nice change. 

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2021, 06:39:48 AM »

The new saddlebag fillers are now in place.

From this:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2021, 06:40:40 AM »

To this:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2021, 02:05:32 PM »

Finally got hold of a new trim ring for the ignition switch (thanks for the tip Twolanerider). Another little detail on the to-do-list completed.  Now the console looks great:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »

Sweet !   :2vrolijk_21:

The little details make a nice difference.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2021, 03:58:38 PM »

Sweet !   :2vrolijk_21:

The little details make a nice difference.

Thanks.

Yeah you're right. Not many details left now. Actually, the only thing I can think of right now is an original Stingray seat... But I believe they were quite fragile already when new so I'm not too optimistic. I have only ever seen one on ebay, and it was rather worn. And besides that, I really like the Corbin Solo seat, both for comfort and for the looks. Maybe if I found someone who could retrim the Corbin with stingray leather, that would be a solution.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2021, 09:21:09 PM »

Thanks.

Yeah you're right. Not many details left now. Actually, the only thing I can think of right now is an original Stingray seat... But I believe they were quite fragile already when new so I'm not too optimistic. I have only ever seen one on ebay, and it was rather worn. And besides that, I really like the Corbin Solo seat, both for comfort and for the looks. Maybe if I found someone who could retrim the Corbin with stingray leather, that would be a solution.

Finding that seat will be a significant challenge.  Finding it in even fair condition with the stingray section still there is a challenge.  Finding it in good in tact condition is very rare indeed.  In ten years I think I've seen one that wasn't pristine but was good enough to set back, dare not used, but at least was all there without pulling apart around the stingray inlay.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2022, 11:31:55 AM »

Finding that seat will be a significant challenge.  Finding it in even fair condition with the stingray section still there is a challenge.  Finding it in good in tact condition is very rare indeed.  In ten years I think I've seen one that wasn't pristine but was good enough to set back, dare not used, but at least was all there without pulling apart around the stingray inlay.

One significant challenge completed :-)

To be honest I didn't really contribute much in that challenge. Actually, the only thing I did was reply to an email from a CVO forum member who told me he had a seat he would be willing to sell to me, and he even included a really nice rider backrest. All this for a very reasonable price. He sent me some pictures, and even though the seat looked excellent in the pictures I was quite excited when it showed up and was even better that I had hoped for. So thank you PJ57, I really appreciate it. The seat has come to a good home and will be taken good care of.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2022, 12:09:08 PM »

Very nice.  And if Pete had it there's no doubt the seat is pristine.  All his stuff was always that way.  So glad for you both :2vrolijk_21: .

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2022, 12:39:54 PM »

Very nice.  And if Pete had it there's no doubt the seat is pristine.  All his stuff was always that way.  So glad for you both :2vrolijk_21: .
Yea, what Don said... along with Pete keeping his stuff pristine he's a great guy on top. Glad it worked out for both of you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2022, 02:04:10 PM »

Don and Gary - thanks for the compliments! Just glad I could help a fellow CVOer. Even though I’m not as active on the site as years ago, I still check you guys out from time to time. I’m down to one bike...my Candy Brandywine FLHRSEI which I will never part with. I do mostly short rides these days, but still find myself wandering out to the garage everyday just to sit on the bike and admire that paint job. Take care guys and be safe out there. Pete

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »

Don and Gary - thanks for the compliments! Just glad I could help a fellow CVOer. Even though I’m not as active on the site as years ago, I still check you guys out from time to time. I’m down to one bike...my Candy Brandywine FLHRSEI which I will never part with. I do mostly short rides these days, but still find myself wandering out to the garage everyday just to sit on the bike and admire that paint job. Take care guys and be safe out there. Pete

I knew the FLHRSEI was the best looking paint scheme from Harley I'd ever seen (or ever would see) the first time I saw one.  At that time didn't know what it was and they were so few never had a chance to get one.  Then some time after getting my 05 SEEG saw your (Pete's) iteration of what they could be and was sold even more.  Thus began the several year search to score parts then build my own homage to what Pete had done while sprinkling in a bit of my own flavor.

I don't ride mine a lot either Pete.  But it makes me happy having it and taking it on the semi-sort-of-regular lunch or day rides when the weather is nice.  That's all I ask of it and it works.  It and the FXR2 get similar treatment that way. 

Hope everyone is well, the bikes are good for winter, and the old bones are getting ready for spring.  G'day all.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2022, 03:08:17 PM »

Thanks once again for your assistance in getting hold on these rare parts. I really appreciate it. They are safely stored on a shelf in my garage, and will only be used on special occations. But knowing that I have the original bits means a lot to me.

FallbrookSERK

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2022, 03:36:22 PM »

As far as inspiration goes, there are two threads here that immideately caught my eye, one is the Long term project of Twolanerider, an extremely well built and tastefully modified SERK, the other one is the Shop bike of Black Diamond, also a well built bike with some very nice addons.

Actually I really did like the Corbin solo seat on my bike, that is, until I saw the C&C seat Black Diamond had on his. Now I can't get that solo seat with the stingray inlays out of my head, and I think it will be only a matter of time before I give C&C a call to see if the can make another one...
I happen to have one here in SoCal. 2002 not sure it’s ever used
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 22 queries.