Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New guy, couple questions  (Read 4067 times)

Bigmatthew86

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

New guy, couple questions
« on: December 03, 2020, 09:18:27 PM »

Hello all. Picked up a new to me 04 yesterday. Also have a 03 fatboy but decided I wanted a bagger. So far I love the bike but have been trying to find out a few things. I don't love the factory bars. I put 10's on my fatboy & want to put a set on the cvo. Will yaffe 10' bars work with stock cables & wires? Seems like wires yes & cables maybe no? Also can I change the speakers to any 5.25 or are they something special? Thanks in advance.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: New guy, couple questions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »

I have an 04 SEEG too so here goes...the yaffe monkey bars measure out more like a 12” bar.  From what I have read, the SEEG’s have shorter wires/ throttle/ clutch cable.  I believe a true 10” bar will work but you’ll have to reroute the clutch and maybe the throttle cables.  Speakers: HD uses a different ohm (can’t remember if it’s 2 or 4)speaker than most aftermarket speakers.  You can actually fit a 6.5” speaker in the fairing with some aftermarket adapter rings.  I replaced the entire system and added 6.5” in the upper and lower fairings...it sounds awesome (to me at least).

What color is your bird?

Bigmatthew86

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:55:08 PM »

It's orange & black. 11000 miles. Rinehart duals, se breather, tts mastertune. Had a dyno sheet for 102hp & 107tq. Is that doable with a stage 1 bike?

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:14:19 PM »

Wow, Only 11,000 miles that’s a great find!  Pumpkins are the fastest but don’t tell the Huckleberry, Jalapeño, Cherry or Banana owners (they all mistakenly think theirs are).  The 103” in the SEEG’s are one of the best engines the MoCo has ever built. As far as dyno #s mine came in at 97hp and 101tq but my bike had 52k on the clock when I had it tuned (don’t know if that even makes a difference).  My dyno guy asked if it had an upgraded cam (I think it’s stock) so I’m thinking yours may have a different cam to produce those kind of numbers but I really don’t know.  It’s a great bike and I have no plans to ever get rid of mine! Enjoy that Pumpkin and post up some pics!

Bigmatthew86

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 10:10:13 AM »

I haven't pulled the cover to see what's inside there. As far as I know it's factory. Are the hogtunes speakers worth it or would just going to a single din receiver & new speakers be a better option. Planning on doing bar & whatever to the radio at the same time. Also need some SE fork oil as they are too soft for my liking.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »

Mine had Hogtunes in it (previous owner installed) but there wasn’t much of a difference as far as I could tell when comparing it to a buddy’s with factory speakers.  I’m sure others will have different opinions but I wouldn’t waste the $ on Hogtunes speakers.  If you are capable of doing the install yourself you can get a much better sounding system for $500-$600 (head unit, thumb control module, amp, and 6.5” speakers with adapter rings) and if you want to put speaker pods in the lowers, you should be able to get a decent speaker and pods for around $250 and those made a huge difference on mine.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »

Great bike id like one too. They had a few issues but for the most part were trouble free. Some of us stripped out clutch basket splines,peeling chrome at wheels and floorboards,cam chain tensioner shoes early failure. Dont forget to lube neck bearings. Turn wheel to right and theres a zerk fitting on neck.  :orange:

Bigmatthew86

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 12:29:00 PM »

Ok yall school me on handlebars. I'm looking at khrome werks 10". My clutch line seems like it has slack, brake lines not as much. Has anyone got any direct experience with this?

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 01:36:14 PM »

No direct experience but when I was considering changing from factory bars I found this helpful:

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/AmericanMotorcycles/Handlebars/Stock_Bars.html

While our bikes are not specifically listed, it appears that all batwing handlebars from 2002 to 2013? have the same geometry.  So if the bars you’re considering have less pullback and are relatively close in width, you may have just enough slack to run them.  I was seriously considering LA Choppers 10” apes (mainly for the wrist position rather than height) which are only 1” wider on each side than stock but with much less pullback so I think they would have worked with factory wires and cables.  So far I have not been able to muster the give-a-damn to pull the trigger and tear into the fairing but may do it this winter.

If you do order new bars make sure you order a one-piece top clamp...the SEEGs come from the factory with two-piece and they are garbage.

Bigmatthew86

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »

After going from the low & wide beach bar to 10" on my fatboy it was a huge improvement. That's my only issue I have with this one so far. I like not having to use a choke, that's a new one for me. I can live with the stock stereo but the bars & squishy forks I'd like to address.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »

Haha! Slippery slope, as I’m sure you already know! New bars, new top clamp, better get some new handlebar bushings, no since in going back into it again so might as well put a new stereo system in, what about a new windshield while it’s apart, since you’ve got the fairing off and fork oil drained might as well put in better suspension, can’t upgrade the front and not do new rear suspension, and the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper.  Good news is it’s a lot of fun making it your own.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »

I do feel sorry for your Fatboy though...not gonna get as much seat time now.  I had a 2000 Night Train, when I bought my Bird, that I had planned to keep. After riding the SEEG for a couple months I decided to take the NT out for a hot lap.  Put it up for sale when I got home because I knew right then I would never ride it enough to justify keeping up insurance or maintenance on it.  Plus it needed to belong to someone who would get some enjoyment out of it, rather than me just looking at it as I walked by to get on the SEEG.  I really loved that bike (kept it for 13 years) but riding it vs a touring bike with a fairing, there was just no comparison in comfort.

Bigmatthew86

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »

I like the fatboy. It's a stage 4 Screamin Eagle 95ci. It's a runner but it's for sale lol. I won't ride it enough to keep it. I also know it's a slippery slope but making it your own is half the fun.

Bigmatthew86

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 10:43:56 AM »

So I've been able to put a few miles on the eg & so far I'm digging it. I robbed a few things of my poor Fatboy. I took the led headlight & taillight. I also put a amazon 8" windsplitter, adjusted my controls to where I like them, & ditched the heel shifter. I know a lot of guys like them but I can't stand it. Turns out bike has progressive 944's ao I stiffened them up some. I'm a big guy around 260lbs. I have some new front pads on the way as well. Planning on still swapping bars, adding 1 piece clamp, & poly bushings. Think I'm going to do a bt receiver & speakers at the same time.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 12:48:56 PM »

Sounds like you’ve got your winter projects all lined up!  I initially ditched the heal shifter too but kept tearing up the leather on the toes of my boots so I bought the extended heel and toe shifter and now I’ve got plenty of room but also have the heel shifter eliminator shaft cover laying around.

Please post some pics of your bars along with all the details (mfg, size, wire and or hydraulic extensions if needed) when you get it all buttoned up.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.