Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the dealer responsible for this?  (Read 1336 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Is the dealer responsible for this?
« on: April 02, 2022, 12:34:00 AM »

A guy I worked with up in the Bay Area just bought his first Harley, a 2022 Softail Sport.  He's a veteran rider who came over from a Kawasaki sport bike.  He's had the bike two days, purchased from San Francisco HD in South San Francisco.  Yesterday he texted me and asked if the clutch was adjustable, it was engaging out too far, at full extension.  I told him that if the clutch was hydraulic he could not.  He said it was cable.  I directed him to a couple of YouTube videos and HD Service pages on FaceBook.

Today he texted again and said the clutch failed on him.  The cable popped out of the clutch lever perch. He managed to limp it off the freeway, and when he cleared the exit ramp the bike went down.  I asked him if he adjusted the cable, he said no.  He hasn't done anything to the bike but ride it.  I told him the dealer was responsible because they failed to set the bike up properly.  He said he was going to email the general manager.

What do you guys think, is the dealer at fault for not setting the bike up correctly?  The clutch cable should not pop out of the perch.  Should they pay for the cosmetic damage on the bike? 
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Is the dealer responsible for this?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 10:27:38 AM »

Day 1 he has a problem with the clutch,  i think he should have contacted the selling dealer about, they may have recommended not to ride the bike.
Day 2.the clutch fails leading to loss of control  of the bike.
I'm sure the dealer should repair the clutch problem, but I  also think he should be cool as a cucumber on the cosmetics,  and I believe that the dealer would contact the factory to get the damage resolved.
Than if needed, maybe some further investigation on the fault to see if "They all do that" 
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

99 Blue flame

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue flame
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 02:47:10 PM »

I would think his insurance would cover accident damage.

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 11:30:44 PM »

Now he is going to have a problem proving the clutch cable was the cause of the accident.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 10:19:53 AM »

My Wife's 2015 Switchback's clutch cable stretched to a point where it would not disengage fully even when pulled in all the way.......this was on the bike inaugural vacation ride........she had to hold the brake to keep from moving forward. When we got to a safe place I adjusted it....and have every years since. I use the "easy clutch adjustment method' from You-tube. 

Seems your bud had the opposite issue.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 01:03:16 PM »

A guy I worked with up in the Bay Area just bought his first Harley, a 2022 Softail Sport.  He's a veteran rider who came over from a Kawasaki sport bike.  He's had the bike two days, purchased from San Francisco HD in South San Francisco.  Yesterday he texted me and asked if the clutch was adjustable, it was engaging out too far, at full extension.  I told him that if the clutch was hydraulic he could not.  He said it was cable.  I directed him to a couple of YouTube videos and HD Service pages on FaceBook.

Today he texted again and said the clutch failed on him.  The cable popped out of the clutch lever perch. He managed to limp it off the freeway, and when he cleared the exit ramp the bike went down.  I asked him if he adjusted the cable, he said no.  He hasn't done anything to the bike but ride it.  I told him the dealer was responsible because they failed to set the bike up properly.  He said he was going to email the general manager.

What do you guys think, is the dealer at fault for not setting the bike up correctly?  The clutch cable should not pop out of the perch.  Should they pay for the cosmetic damage on the bike?
Why would the dealer be responsible for this fella dropping his bike? I’ve had clutch cable snap, shifter pegs come loose, tires go flat over the years and haven’t dropped any bikes because of that. Two separate issues.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 03:05:39 PM »

Why would the dealer be responsible for this fella dropping his bike? I’ve had clutch cable snap, shifter pegs come loose, tires go flat over the years and haven’t dropped any bikes because of that. Two separate issues.

The dealer towed his bike to the shop. They pulled the derby cover and found that the lock nut on the clutch came loose and fell off. This caused his clutch to fail. They fixed it and replaced his mirror,  turn signal, clutch lever and grip. Since they didn’t have a derby cover in stock, they smoothed out the scratches and touched it up.

He’s satisfied.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 05:40:41 AM »

The dealer towed his bike to the shop. They pulled the derby cover and found that the lock nut on the clutch came loose and fell off. This caused his clutch to fail. They fixed it and replaced his mirror,  turn signal, clutch lever and grip. Since they didn’t have a derby cover in stock, they smoothed out the scratches and touched it up.

He’s satisfied.
That’s customer service!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »

It is nice to hear of a dealer doing the “right” thing. I just wish “they all do that” applied to customer service.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2022, 11:32:35 AM »

It is nice to hear of a dealer doing the “right” thing. I just wish “they all do that” applied to customer service.
I concur!!!!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 11:24:20 PM »

Great news
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 01:47:15 PM »

we need the name of that dealer posted!!  :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 02:53:39 PM »

we need the name of that dealer posted!!  :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

San Francisco Harley-Davidson in South San Francisco.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.