Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Pistons Needed After Head Gasket Oil Leak? Is this right?  (Read 760 times)

bbbld

My 07' FXSTSSE developed a rear cylinder head gasket oil leak and after taking it to an independent Harley repair shop, I am fuming.  The "shop" stated that after breaking cylinders down to replace all of the gaskets, the pistons wouldn't fit.  I then asked what the issue was and the repair shop stated that they did a hone of the cylinder and now the pistons with rings dont fit correctly.  I asked why the hone was done because the bike had less than 10K miles.  The repair shop couldn't tell me the reason for the hone other than the mechanic said it needed it.  Now, the shop needed to purchase new pistons, with rings from the local dealership because the mechanic stated that he could not get any rings that would fit my pistons.  Has anyone else ran into this?  Although my bike did not have a lot of miles, it always performed perfectly and without issues.  Oh, and to top it off the battery is now bad.  I have had this same battery without problems for years and the mechanic didn't feel the need to put it on a trickle for the 2 months at the shop...  When it rains, it pours...

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
Re: New Pistons Needed After Head Gasket Oil Leak? Is this right?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 06:28:28 PM »

Time to find a new shop.  I would pick my bike up in pieces before letting them put it together.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 10:14:48 AM »

07 has it's own set of issues but that said, once a cylinder is honed to fix the distortion that would likely be there even after only 10k miles now the cylinder is .0015+ bigger. Piston to wall clearance is excessive and there will be piston slap. The proper fix is to bore and hone it for new pistons now, sorry to say. It would have been proper assuming the cylinder sleeves had no signs of slipping or damage (an 07 110 thing) to just pull the cylinders, replace the gaskets and move on.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 11:40:08 AM »

For the original poster the battery issue isn't worth questioning.  Sorry.  Might the shop have put it on a tender?  Sure.  From your own description you were on borrowed time anyway.

As to the cylinders you might have a larger concern that really should be researched before you do anything else.  In that time frame Harley had an issue with cylinder liners slipping and, often, eating up head gaskets in the process.  The shop doing your work potentially might not recognize all that's going on.  If that is your issue simply resizing the bores won't solve your problem.  Make absolutely sure the cylinders are good before completing the repair.

bbbld

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 11:46:33 AM »

Thank you all for your insight.  I will most definitely double check with the mechanic and ensure the cylinder sleeves are not an issue. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 06:35:13 PM »

What twolanerider said, agreed,  :2vrolijk_21:
And the heads. the valve seals used on the 07s were an issue and that with the heat stuck rear exhaust valves.
My recommendation, a valve job plus checking valve guide to valve clearances. New later revision black seals or the blue ones available from the aftermarket. New dual valve springs (non-damper style) with more appropriate pressure. Replace the head gaskets with MLS style and replace the lifters with Morels or S&S.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.