Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breather Oil  (Read 1114 times)

OldDog124

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Breather Oil
« on: May 15, 2022, 11:06:10 AM »

S&S 124  2004 10k miles, just started to have small amount of oil drip from breather tube, seems to only happen after longer high speed rides. Thinking the umbrella valves might need replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Re: Breather Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 05:18:53 AM »

Welcome to the site...Many riders including myself leave their oil level down on the stick at the half full point and this seems to lessen the effects of blow-by. The higher the rpm's are maintained, also add to the amount you'll notice. You could try this first and see if there is any significant difference (unless you already have)

OldDog124

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 07:40:32 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I did change the oil recently but just now noticed the breather oil. There’s no dip stick on my tank so just went by sight and expected capacity from last change at a shop. 3 qts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobhouck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 11:18:42 PM »

if your just getting a drop after hard ride i think your good , usually its just feed back into intake , you can route the external breather tubes to a little catch can , or a little breather filter , but i really wouldnt worry a bit. and definatly not take rockers off maybe in winter when you want a project and you can upgrade to maybe the vulcan billet ones or something, but on a 124 your good i have a 116" and run Krank vents off the heads and use SS cast rocker boxes so a total different setup but i have minal oil i run to a little KN filter never see a mess wash filter once in awhile . 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »

The S&S 124 does not use breather valves, if you are referring to umbrellas under the rocker covers. Their system can allow a little carry over. Best solution is to not pipe it into the air filter housing but external. Use a small catch can and breather filter. Larger amounts of carry over usually indicate blow-by is excessive and a leakdown test is advised.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.