Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Head unit replacement  (Read 494 times)

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
Head unit replacement
« on: June 10, 2022, 11:46:08 AM »

2006 CVO Ultra best plug and play head unit to replace my stock HK. Want Bluetooth capabilities as well wking with stock amp.  Thanks for your opinions.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Head unit replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 12:49:36 PM »

Send stock head unit to Iron Cross for any repair and engineering upgrades they offer and have them add BT functionality.  They can add other things also but BT is one of their options.  They do good work.

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 03:11:03 PM »

I love my Rockford Fosgate. Replaced lighter with twin usb so I can connect thumb drive or charge. Bluetooth is great. No help with radio reception. Screen read is good. Keeps handle controls. More sound control than average Joe would use. Can't speak as to output power alone because I added an amp. Sound quality is great. Not cheap but, I would definitely do it again.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 08:07:51 PM »

2006 CVO Ultra best plug and play head unit to replace my stock HK. Want Bluetooth capabilities as well wking with stock amp.  Thanks for your opinions.
Aquatic
https://aquaticav.com/harley/
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 08:55:57 PM »

Any head unit you want, just have to get a steering wheel module to be able to change the input, song, and volume with your thumb controls…I have a JVC and went with it so I could dial in the color to match my fairing gauges.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 01:06:35 AM »

The Rockford Fosgate mentioned above won't work in his 2006 bike with factory amplifier as was the original request.  Nor will the Aquatic; at least not the two I've ever had in hand.  Nor will any other aftermarket units that don't use the stock Harley harness for even main radio functions.

The radio connector on the main harness is (basically) the same from 1998-2013 and the stock radios can interchange through those years (sometimes with just a little fiddling).  Starting with the SEEGs though the CVO bikes got amplified radio systems.  An external amp powered through an overlay harness managed by an overlay harness that is a big second connector on the back of the radio.  That doesn't exist on the "stock" non-CVO bikes.  It is those stock non-CVO bikes that the Rockford Fosgate and Aquatic radios are intended to replace.  They don't use the overlay harness and anything that runs off of it.  So things like CB or sat radio or other Harley accessories that require the overlay harness won't work with those radios.

The HK radio in an 06 doesn't suck.  It's not a world beater but... really, how much are you going to hear well on a motorcycle anyway.  If you're building a unit for parking lot play that's something else.  But for going down the highway on a bike....   the HK will with its amp will bore through the noise; especially with a speaker upgrade.

Iron Cross can make the HK radio better than it was new.  And they can add the Bluetooth.  If someone is willing to swap everything the sky is the limit.  If the goal is to keep stock amp and other accessories on that vintage bike we don't have a ton of options. 

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 21 queries.