Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad vibrations  (Read 1160 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Bad vibrations
« on: June 12, 2022, 06:33:19 PM »

I have an annoying vibration through the handlebars on a FHTK. It occurs between 25mph through to about 40mph. It is a high frequency buzzing feeling as opposed to a low frequency thump, thump type of vibe. I thought it was the wheel bearings, took it to the dealers, they said it was not the bearings but possibly due to an out of round tyre (which was new). I checked the tyre with a dial gauge, it is only 0.020” out of round, so doubt if that is it. Convinced myself it was the front wheel bearings, I changed those, no difference the buzz is still there.
It is road speed related, no matter what gear or pulling the clutch, it is there at the speed range stated above
Anyone got any ideas please.
JohnT

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Bad vibrations
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »

The new tire wouldn’t happen to be a Michelin Commander III in a 17” or 19” would it?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 10:12:28 PM »

I have an annoying vibration through the handlebars on a FHTK. It occurs between 25mph through to about 40mph. It is a high frequency buzzing feeling as opposed to a low frequency thump, thump type of vibe. I thought it was the wheel bearings, took it to the dealers, they said it was not the bearings but possibly due to an out of round tyre (which was new). I checked the tyre with a dial gauge, it is only 0.020” out of round, so doubt if that is it. Convinced myself it was the front wheel bearings, I changed those, no difference the buzz is still there.
It is road speed related, no matter what gear or pulling the clutch, it is there at the speed range stated above
Anyone got any ideas please.
JohnT

Are you sure it’s not a loose exhaust heat shield?
They make a buzzing sound at certain rpm’s

:nixweiss:

HOGMIKE

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 07:11:52 AM »

The new tire wouldn’t happen to be a Michelin Commander III in a 17” or 19” would it?

Yes, it is a Michelin Commander III. Sikbird, you have me intrigued, what is it you know the rest of us should know.
JohnT

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 07:19:18 AM »

Thanks for your response Hogmike. I am pretty sure it is not the heat shields. It is entirely road speed related not engine speed related. I can have the engine shut down at the stated road speeds and it still vibrates through the handle bars.
JohnT

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 07:22:24 AM »

Those particular tires are flawed in the 17” and 19”.  I have the 18” and there aren’t any issues with it.  Michelin is fully aware of the issue and has been replacing them or refunding the $ under warranty.  Give it a quick Google and you’ll see hundreds of posts with the exact same issues that you are having.  From what I’ve read the molds didn’t line up properly during manufacturing which caused one side to be slightly higher than the other which is the root of the problem.  When you are riding it should go away when you lean left or right.  I’d return that tire because it does not get better with time.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 05:38:04 PM »

Those particular tires are flawed in the 17” and 19”.  I have the 18” and there aren’t any issues with it.  Michelin is fully aware of the issue and has been replacing them or refunding the $ under warranty.  Give it a quick Google and you’ll see hundreds of posts with the exact same issues that you are having.  From what I’ve read the molds didn’t line up properly during manufacturing which caused one side to be slightly higher than the other which is the root of the problem.  When you are riding it should go away when you lean left or right.  I’d return that tire because it does not get better with time.

As you say Sikbird, I have found references to this issue. New Bridgestone now on order.
Thanks for your help.
JohnT

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 11:29:47 PM »

Happy to help, hopefully Michelin will make it right and give you a full refund as they have for others here in the US.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 04:25:03 AM »

Bridgestone front now fitted and the buzzing type of vibration from the MICHELIN COMMANDER III is no more.
So that is Michelin and Dunlop off my tyre list. Dunlop? Look at tyre delaminating at the Irish Northwest 200 and the Isle of Man TT road races.
Thanks all, especially SIKBIRD.
JohnT.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 08:32:58 PM »

Check your front rubber mount

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.