Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint set identification please  (Read 2051 times)

Chopdoc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
Paint set identification please
« on: September 23, 2022, 10:10:12 PM »

EDIT:  Mystery solved.  It is a custom job done by a local shop in the 2006 CVO pattern but in different colors. 

Does anybody know what these tins are?  They are in the pattern of the 2006 CVO Ultra but in different colors.  They came off a 2003 Ultra and have 2003 badges on the tank.  Maybe a numbered set?  maybe the badges cover the numbers?  Something else?  I have been through many images of many years and models and can't find a single match.  It could be simple and I am missing it.  I just don't know.

Thanks for any help.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 03:43:39 PM by Chopdoc »

Chopdoc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Re: Paint set identification please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 10:10:56 PM »

More

Chopdoc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 10:11:26 PM »

Another

Chopdoc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 10:13:01 PM »

And finally

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 10:38:56 PM »

Judging buy the way everything is taken apart it looks like a custom paint job to me. Does the seller or person that posted the pics give a description?

Chopdoc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 12:27:05 AM »

Judging buy the way everything is taken apart it looks like a custom paint job to me. Does the seller or person that posted the pics give a description?

They only say it was removed from a 2003 Electra Glide Classic.  You can see in the pics it has the 2003 emblem on the tank.

Yup, it could be a custom job, a recreation of the 2006 CVO pattern in different colors.  Not sure how it being taken apart might show that. 

You can see here the paint job pattern extends around the back side of the saddlebags.  That's a lot of effort and to me might reflect a factory job. The bag lids do not have the CVO chrome accent on top though.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 10:06:30 PM »

I’m just thinking custom job cause everything is taken apart. There is no hardware on anything and the tank is missing all its components. I’m guessing they bought a new set and needed everything or they bought a set that was scratched up and just put fresh paint on it.

I kinda dig the look but it just doesn’t seem factory to me, have never seen a factory paint job that would carry graphics onto the back side of a bag. 2 tone yes but don’t ever recall a stripe going all the way around.

Chopdoc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 03:28:12 PM »

I kinda dig the look but it just doesn’t seem factory to me, have never seen a factory paint job that would carry graphics onto the back side of a bag. 2 tone yes but don’t ever recall a stripe going all the way around.

Thanks-

I have seen them wrap around to the back.  The CVO paint is contracted out and not really "factory" work anyway.  But I do understand what you mean. 

It looks like someone bought a complete paint set and switched it out. 

At the price for the complete set ($450), if it is a numbered set or CVO set, I was thinking to grab it.  I don't need it but it's only 20 or 30 minutes from me.  I just hate passing stuff up and regretting it later.

I was even thinking to find a wreck and do it up with this set.  My wife says I have enough bikes but I don't think there is such a thing.   

Chopdoc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 03:41:33 PM »

I’m just thinking custom job

Turns out you are exactly right.

I just talked to the guy.  He had this paint job done.  It is a custom job that is in the pattern of the 2006 CVO but in different colors.  He put the original tins back on and sold the bike. 

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.