Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: exhausting search  (Read 21879 times)

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin
  • FXR3 in current form w/Kerker/HD exhaust

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
exhausting search
« on: September 04, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »

I've posted this picture in Intake/Exhaust/ECM but no bites. Maybe you FXR people will have some answers.
This picture is a friend of mine posing with his brand new 1987-1/2 FXR. Notice the 2-2 exhaust? I really would like a set if I could find them.
  I don't have all the numbers but I don't think that matters. Glendale Harley in So-Cal told me the part number I gave them is "no good". It was #60212-86. They have a badge on the top muffler that reads "Harley Davidson by Kerker". I found a set of beat up mufflers on ebay but I'm really after the whole system. Hopefully someone remembers these,  they weren't that rare, at least 2 of my buddies had them on they're brand new FXR's around that time. Any hints on looking for them would be appreciated.  I did take one of our members advice to another member with an FXR question and phoned;
Frank @ RPM Cycle
436 W 8th St
National City, CA 91950 Map
(619) 474-8451
 The member suggested Frank was an FXR freak and after talking to him it believe it. He says he owns 5 and right now he's in the middle of putting a 124" Zipper twin cam in an FXR! Gotta see that....anyhow he wasn't able to come up with an exhaust but he's put me on to a guy at RB Racing.com. Doesn't sound like an "old FXR guy" but might be worth a look. You don't know until you ask..........
P.S. As a new member I'd like to thank all those who've greeted me into the fold seems like a really friendly group.

RedFXR2

Re: exhausting search
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »

Believe it or not, last Spring there was a used FXR2 at the local dealer with those same pipes on it.  Gone now, though.

I've seen them on ebay every so often so keep looking there.

I also think they were still listed as available from Kerker as recently as about a year ago--that's when I was last shopping for pipes and *I think* that I remember seeing them.  I wasn't really trying to make a note of it, though.  Point is, that some dealer or shop or distributor out there somewhere probably has a set sitting on their shelf--I bet it will be on ebay one of these days.

Have you checked the big catalogs:  J&P, Drag and Custom Chrome?  Maybe even Dennis Kirk. Beat the heck out of the web. 

RB racing sells some impressive 2-1 systems.  Very different from the Kerker you're pursuing.  But If I ever decide to go to a 2-1, the RB pipes would be my first choice.  But....working on other projects right now so pipes will have to wait.  Besides, the Vance and Hines pipes I just got are still quite new. :D

Welcome to the forum.  You have an example of the rarest CVO bike ever produced.  Nice.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:25:31 PM »

Have you tried looking at Supertrapp? It is my understanding that they bought out Kerker in 1991. I know they still carry some of the Screamin' Eagle mufflers that the MoCo no longer carry under the Supertrapp name.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I've spent quite a few hours looking on the web but I won't give up. I actually emailed customer service at Kerker twice, left a detailed message with pictures and phoned twice.  It was three days after my last attempt at contact with that a guy phoned me and basically said "I'm so and so from Kerker what do you want?" Well I had to go through the story again and then he said in so many words (and he sounded annoyed) "what do you want from us? you're talking about 20 year old technology?" I wasn't impressed......obviously a guy who didn't appreciate a past, and possibly future customer asking questions about a product he's paid to sell! Hey I've had bad days at work too. I'll definitely check out the leads you've mentioned. The bike below was a custom I (and some talented friends) built from scratch notice the Kerker mufflers.Thanks again for the help!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »

I've posted this picture in Intake/Exhaust/ECM but no bites. Maybe you FXR people will have some answers.
This picture is a friend of mine posing with his brand new 1987-1/2 FXR. Notice the 2-2 exhaust? I really would like a set if I could find them.
  I don't have all the numbers but I don't think that matters. Glendale Harley in So-Cal told me the part number I gave them is "no good". It was #60212-86. They have a badge on the top muffler that reads "Harley Davidson by Kerker". I found a set of beat up mufflers on ebay but I'm really after the whole system. Hopefully someone remembers these,  they weren't that rare, at least 2 of my buddies had them on they're brand new FXR's around that time. Any hints on looking for them would be appreciated.  I did take one of our members advice to another member with an FXR question and phoned;
Frank @ RPM Cycle
436 W 8th St
National City, CA 91950 Map
(619) 474-8451
 The member suggested Frank was an FXR freak and after talking to him it believe it. He says he owns 5 and right now he's in the middle of putting a 124" Zipper twin cam in an FXR! Gotta see that....anyhow he wasn't able to come up with an exhaust but he's put me on to a guy at RB Racing.com. Doesn't sound like an "old FXR guy" but might be worth a look. You don't know until you ask..........
P.S. As a new member I'd like to thank all those who've greeted me into the fold seems like a really friendly group.

Try part number 65212-86.  When I plug that one in at Surdyke H-D, it pops up as an FXR Kerker exhaust with a price listed.  Give them a call and see if it's for real.
http://www.surdykeharley.com/Default.asp

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:20:51 PM »

GRC great lead! Thanks! How did you know about them?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:23:44 PM »

GRC great lead! Thanks! How did you know about them?

He's the site Wizard! ;)

Welcome aboard Robin. Great ride you got man! Good luck finding you pipes and enjoy the site! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »

Well this was disappointing but I'm not giving up yet,

65212-86 is no longer available. Obsolete. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you require further assistance.
support@surdyke.com

I did look into RB Racings web site and although and looked into there pipes and "philosophy" behind them.  Interesting. Anyone have any experience with there products?

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

Now that you have a valid HD part number, go to a dealer and get them to do a dealer search for that part.  They can check every HD dealer to see if any have it in stock.  I have found several FXR2 parts that were officially "discontinued" or "obsolete" this way.  Your local dealer can have the part shipped to them no charge.

About Surdyke, I have bought a bunch of stuff from them because of their discount prices. I have some stuff on the way right now.  But they won't pursue something that's obsolete or discontinued, which is what I was talking about in my first paragraph.  You might be pleasantly surprised--take that number to your local dealer and have them check the other dealers.

[edit]   I just called my local dealer and had them look it up--according to them, that part is nowhere to be found among the dealers.  Then again, you're in Canada and my guys were probably looking at dealers in the US (my guess).  Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to get your local shop up there to do a dealer search in Canada for that part number.  At least you'd be eliminating that possibility.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:12:27 AM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 09:54:49 AM »

...or try Chicago Harley--it's in their database, anyway.

http://chicagoharley.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=65212-86&x=25&y=14

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »

Thanks again! I was thinking of trying Glendale HD in Socal but it seems you've already done a US search I'll try Steve Drane HD in Victoria BC on Vancouver Island, they no doubt will be able to cover the Canadian side of the network.Great help you guys really appreciate it!!!

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »

Robin:  I just went one click deeper at Chicago Harley (link above) and notice the note they have at "add to cart" page:

http://chicagoharley.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=65212-86&x=25&y=14

65212-86B  [65212-86B]  Retail Price: $347.95
 Our Price: $278.36

FXR SPORT EXHAUST SYSTEM D

This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 30 January, 2007.

It would seem that if they just added the part to their catalog at the beginniing of this year, that they might have one there.  Might be worth a phone call, anyway.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »

WOW I'M ON IT THANKS!!! I'll let you know how I made out .

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »

Well after a few phone calls the internet sales guy told me that the "added to our catalogue  Jan 07" means that, that was when they updated their prices and it did that to all valid HD part numbers even obsolete ones. He says deleting those obsolete numbers are something they do as they come up. He says there's like 150000 numbers to sift through..... got to go to work now Thanks again!

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »

Well I just had the parts guy at Steve Drane HD in Victoria run those numbers and tell me they are no good in Canada.......does that mean NO dealers have one on there shelves?

RedFXR2

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:48 PM »

Well I just had the parts guy at Steve Drane HD in Victoria run those numbers and tell me they are no good in Canada.......does that mean NO dealers have one on there shelves?

Pretty much.  Technically it means that no dealer *knows* of one on their shelves.  It's always possible that somewhere out there is your part number at a dealer who hasn't taken an accurate inventory lately, and then entered that data in the HD dealer parts database.  But I know that's not much consolation.

But stay optimistic and diligent.  Not long after I got my FXR2 (I'm the second owner) I decided that the Badlander seat had to go, but what I really wanted was the seat off of an FXR3 or 4.  Already discontinued by HD, I found each through the dealer network, but they were expensive.  So I surfed ebay daily.  Amazingly, I found a nearly new FXR3 seat in Washington state and bought it immediately for much less than retail.  I've had it on the bike ever since and I've never seen another like it on ebay.  Point is, that stuff sometimes shows up there that you really don't think you'll find.

After all this, I'll certainly keep an eye out for them.  Keep watching the catalog places, too.  Dennis Kirk, for example, carries Kerker and has closeouts all the time.  Some Indy shops have stuff on their shelves or walls that they've nearly forgotten about, themselves.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 05:17:28 PM »

I'll definetly keep my eye's open.  In the mean time I want to do something about the FXR3's exhaust, I'm thinking a Kerker Super Meg Slip-on for the HD 2-1 lead pipes that are on the bike now. They come in several collector sizes and are tunable. Truth is I dont mind the look of the HD 2-1 but that system was on the bike when I bought it and someone had butchered the baffles and it sounded awful so I basically removed everything behind the end cap and although it sounds better it's too loud!  Probably is hurting low and mid range power too.  I have the stock pipes but I don't care for the look. They're too ordinary, not different enough for a special bike. I've looked at RB Racings product and I like their ideas about what makes a really good exhaust, but I'm not sold on the style. I'll keep shopping. I'm sure something will turn up, and again....thanks for the help! I've kinda lost touch with a lot of people I used to ride with (with a few exceptions). You know life, jobs, and kids people move, priorities change etc ....so the last few days communicating with you guys has rekindled those good times. Cheers, Robin

RedFXR2

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 09:13:54 PM »

I've kinda lost touch with a lot of people I used to ride with (with a few exceptions). You know life, jobs, and kids people move, priorities change etc ....

Big high five to all that.  Amen, amen.

RedFXR2

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »

Since you like Kerker and you seem to like 2-1, have you seen this on ebay right now?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kerker-2-into-1-exhaust-pipes-for-Harley-Davidson-EVO_W0QQitemZ180155706513QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180155706513

I found it while I was looking for the Kerker pipes that started this thread.  Might be old news to you.

RedFXR2

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »

One more thing.  Here's the Supertrapp/Kerker exhaust site.  There are pipes under 2-2 megaphone series that are really close to the ones you seek.  As well as other models for FXR's both 2-2 and 2-1.  Just something to think about.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=9

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 10:03:05 PM »

Wow again!  Thanks for pulling another rabbit out of the hat! I thought I was on top of the available exhaust on ebay.  This one would have slipped by me because (I guess) of the way this seller listed (ie) Kerker first instead of- HD; exhaust; Kerker; etc. I should expand my searches .   That does look like it would bolt on, has heat shields, looks like it's in good shape too.  So many ebay sellers post really crappy pictures!  These are actually decent. I'll definetly look into those.
 On another front, I did some more research on RB Racing and found some pipes "Mega Megs" that look very similar (I think) to the 2-2 Kerkers I'm after. I'll post the image below. I didn't realize that RB Racing had more than their 2-1 "Black Hole" exhaust.  If you read their website it seems they ARE number 1 and don't have much respect for the competion as far as performance, construction and design. Do you know anyone personally who's used their products? I guess I've been out of the loop for too long.
 Thanks for tip on the Supertrapp/Kerker # I have looked at those and they are close in looks.  I haven't ruled them out, but before I spend over $800 I'd like to see a good picture of those ON an FXR.  I can't seem to find one and  SuperTrapp won't supply one!  There must be an image out there. But you'd think Supertrapp/Kerker would have something on file??? Thanks a million again Robin

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 10:07:25 PM »

. . . I've kinda lost touch with a lot of people I used to ride with (with a few exceptions). You know life, jobs, and kids people move, priorities change etc ....so the last few days communicating with you guys has rekindled those good times. Cheers, Robin

Boy, can I relate to that!

Anyway, "Red" has given you a lot of good pointers on how to seek some of this stuff out.  The only thing I would add to what he said is to let the internet work for you by setting up searches on eBay for anything and everything FXR and for the part numbers of the pipes you are looking for.  I think some of the other internet-based marketplaces like http://www.nosparts.com/, http://www.usedhogparts.com/ and some others might also have automated search engines that can send you e-mail replies when new stuff pops up like eBay can.  You might also try contacting some outfits like that who specialize in NOS and obsolete H-D stuff to see if they can give you any other leads on any parts you're looking for.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the search goes!

RedFXR2

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »

Found a pic of a RB 2-1 LSR on a FXRT. A bit more conventional lookiing FXR than the yellow full custom FXR.

RedFXR2

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 10:50:04 PM »

And one more:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 01:05:39 AM »

I noticed those Kerker 2 into 2's because I have a freind that has those on his 85 wide glide, they really bark, I know he has had them around for a long time, I will ask if he knows where to get them these days.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 01:24:04 AM »

Yeah Rooster! those were the best sounding pipes I've ever had. You could take the fiberglass packing out and those pipes sounded really throaty and strong at idle but when you screwed it on or launched they ROARED I'm sure there's better technology out there now but I like the fact they have a HD part number and were installed on bikes from the dealer,  I think they'd be appropriate on my FXR3. I thank for looking into it! I would like to see a picture of your buddies 85 WG. I don't suppose he's tired of them and wants to sell them to a guy who has a good home for them?  This forum just keeps getting better!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »

I doubt you could talk him out of them. I remember looking at them and thinking I didn't really like the looks but man they sounded awsome first time I heard them he has an Ultima 113" motor hooked to them.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:56 AM »

Well I'm not sure what they'd look like on a WG but I'd like to see a picture! I'm really doubtful I'll separate those pipes from anyone but I do know that if you don't ask you likely won't know, I don't want to disrespect anyone either,  I realize there's guys that might take offence to being asked to part with their creations or pieces of them. Thanks I really appreciate the help,Robin.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 02:05:47 AM »

Anyone noticed this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=220145193909&_trksid=p3907.m32

Looking at the price of this bike got me thinking about why they don't seem to hold their value as you might expect that really limited edition factory customs would. It occurred to me after reading someones post in this forum that "people not knowing about CVO's" was probably the issue. And just today I was talking to an HD Parts guy about my exhaust search. The mention of a 1999 FXR made him say "they stopped making FXR's in '94." I said "except for the CVO's yeah".....CVwhat?? He'd never heard of CVO. This isn't the first time a service writer or parts guy has said that to me and I know others have had the same experience.  I can't understand why? I know the bikes were "really expensive " one HD owner said to me "we didn't think we'd sell any." But HD's idea was to promote their products on those bikes why are there so many uninformed HD staff? Someone must have a theory?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 02:07:23 AM »

No problem, next time I see him I will ask about them.

RedFXR2

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 09:11:26 AM »

The mention of a 1999 FXR made him say "they stopped making FXR's in '94." I said "except for the CVO's yeah".....CVwhat?? He'd never heard of CVO. This isn't the first time a service writer or parts guy has said that to me and I know others have had the same experience.

This has happened to me numerous times.  I've actually argued with HD parts guys about it.  Them insisting that I "can't possibly own a 1999 FXR--it must be a Dyna".  Or my favorite:  "Well, the Dyna and the FXR are the same thing so what fits one will fit the other.  Here's the Dyna part..."  Hoo, boy.

And then the reverse irony is my former local indy shop back in North Carolina--that guy could recite the complete history of the CVO model by model.  I bought my bike from him--it was there on consignment and he knew what he had.  A non-Harley dealer and he knows all about the CVO.

I think the bottom line reason for the lack of knowledge at the dealer is turnover and culture.  Most of the guys I run into at dealers don't really have much background in bikes.  They're parts counter sales guys who can look numbers up in books and in databases but they don't really know what they're looking for, in a familiar sense.  And it seems like most of them haven't been at that job for more than a couple of years.  Sales staff is even worse.

All of these guys are there to facilitate sales in one way or the other--not provide insight.

Now there is one guy at the local dealer who is the exception.  Older guy, he's retired from elsewhere and works there part-time and has been riding all his life.  Still owns his 1992 FXR, so he knows what I'm talking about when I describe a part or a particular fit issue.  He also hangs out with the Techs in the back to keep up to speed on current models.  And to top it all off, he has no ego--he's just glad to help.  But folks like him rare at the dealers.

My bottom line is that I figure it's up to me to know exactly what to tell the parts guy that I'm looking for--right down to the part number if possible.  I don't look to him for anything more than access to the catalogs or databases.

RedFXR2

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »

Robin:  I don't know if you noticed the forum on the Supertrapp web site.  You might consider posting an inquiry there and see if it turns up any leads on your pipe search.

http://forums.supertrapp.com/

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 09:30:53 AM »

Yeah you know I have seen a lot of unhappy faces behind the counter at several Dealers. Lots of new faces too. Why? Are they not getting paid? I also agree with you on "informing yourself" It's really an attitude I try to practise and teach my kids about life in general.
I haven't tried the forum on SuperTrapps website, I'll give it a go, and let you know what happened. Thanks Robin.

I'm going to phone RB about their LSR Mega-Megs 2-2 I think I'm going to order a set, we'll see how the phone call goes.Even if I buy a set from them I'm still after those Kerker 2-2's,  Hey I've got more than one pair of boots.......

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »

Red
I don't know what to say... the SuperTrapp forum was a complete dissapointment, no response...just the automatically generated one you get after signing up for their news letter. If I come across a set of the 2-2 HD by Kerker I like, I'll buy them, but for the time being I'm not going to spend anymore time on SuperTrapp or Kerker.
I did however order a set of RB Racing's LSR EVO BIG TWIN 2-1 (C-Style) .  I sent them a detailed email with some questions about fitment and they sent me the attached photo...with the statement "We have a 1999 CVO too-changed a bit, crashed at 4000 miles". It appears to be an FXR2 with custom paint and a few other details changed...the pipes on that bike are the B-style where the rear pipe wraps around the timing cone before going to the collector as opposed to the "C" that doesn't.  The fact that this is their shop bike and they were really considerate on the phone sold me , plus they really seem to know their stuff. Also the manufacturing facility is right on my way from LAX to Glendale HD. Too easy. I'll definitely post some pictures after installing them.

RedFXR2

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 03:46:57 PM »

Okay--I'll call off my Kerker search. :)

From what I read about the LSR pipes, I think you'll be pleased.  Those guys put performance before cosmetics and (IMO) it still looks good, too.  I take it you're getting chrome?  I think LSR offers them in brushed stainless or black as well.

By all means post some pics when you get them.  I had decided some time back that if I ever went 2-1, I'd go with the LSR's, myself.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »

They offer chrome (double nickel, triple chrome),SS "titanium", and black.  Chrome was definitely my choice and actually the least expensive of the three options. I won't post those pictures until beginning of November after my holiday. I'll be picking them up mid Oct installing them and doing a few short rides to prove the jetting. I'm guessing I'll have to lean out the Mikuni what's your take? It seems with the 2-1 SE unit it's running a bit rich, not much though, the plugs look perfect but the tailpipe end cap looks a little bit carboned.  Performance improvement will be interesting. The picture below is the set I ordered; LSR 2-1 setup "C" style on a pretty radical custom . I think it'll look great on the FXR3.  Thanks again for help with the search. And hey if you find those 2-2 HD by Kerker's I'll still be interested.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

We're back from our all too short trip to Hollywood and as usuall it was busy doing short rides to here and there. Unfortunately Malibu canyon was not an option due to the fires but the Crest Hwy was open and we saw some carnage at Squid's Leap. A Ducati and rider went over a cliff. The bike was on the tow truck as we rode by. They retrieved it from about 100 ft down a very steep bank after a long left hand turn which had about 100 foot rear wheel skid mark leading to the to the launch site. The rider was air lifted out, they said he was probably going to live. One sports rider we talked to at the accident scene said this happens all the time, newbies riding beyond there ability mostly.
 But back to the thread!!!
 Anyone that is interested in my experience with RB Racing here it is..
The facility in Gardena isn't what you might expect, minimal signage and the shop itself very full of projects, however the service I got in person was better than I expected. I had read some reviews that said the communication with the business wasn't that good. Bob the proprietor and the brains behind product development seemed a little unsure of me maybe because not to many customers come to the facility to pick up their parts, but after a bit of discussion he figured out I was genuinely interested in his products not just getting my pipes and getting out of there. He is very knowledgeable and some might say a little eccentric but I wouldn't hestitate to do business with him again. He showed me his FXR2, which was somewhat disassembled and told me he was in the process of turbocharging it to go for the landspeed record for an 80" I believe that's over 200 mph. He also took the time to show me his real time fuel ratio sensor/gauge that works off exhaust temperature, you can install it on your bike and are able to tell at a glance how your carburetor or FI is working through the different loads you experience while riding, taking a lot of guess work out of the tuning process, it's all on the RB Racing website. (I bought one for installation later)
 After I said goodbye to Bob and Lynne, I had HD of Glendale install the 1017 "C"style (in chrome) pipes with the RB Racing CNC gaskets replacing the 65138-97 HD 2-1 pipes that were on the FXR3 when I bought it.
The tech that installed the pipes said everything fit together nicely, the quality of the finish is top notch and I really like the sound, they aren't too loud at start up or low throttle cruising but they really wake up and sound like a performance exhaust when you screw it on. I'm also very impressed with the performance improvement, the gains where significant from 2500 RPM  on up. Without some dyno runs before and after the exhaust change, it is difficult to quantify the extent of the improvement but I can tell you that the bike didn't used to wheelie when speed shifting into 2nd gear while caring a passenger but it does now! Performance upgrades before the addition of the RB Racing exhaust;
-80" Evo with stock heads which develops 175 PSI cylinder pressure on compression testing with a Andrews EV46 Cam; an HSR42 Mikuni; a SE ignition module and now a RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust.
These pictures weren't taken with the idea of showing the exhaust in great detail but I think you get the general idea of how they look on the FXR3.  Anyone considering RB Racing Products feel free to ask me, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »

Another view of RB Racing Exhaust on FXR3

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »

One more RB Racing exhaust on FXR3

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »

Nice report on those LSR pipes.  Here's a pic (seen before on this forum) of my FXR4 w/ Bub stubbies

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »

After 5 months of diligently watching ebay and periodically doing google searches, success!  New in the original packing with all the paperwork  HD# 65212-86A found on eBay for $300 shipping included. The only flaw with the purchase was a little water stain on the card board box, everything was as new and looking like it wasn't ever out of the plastic. Thanks to all who replied to this thread with part #'s and advice.
  Since I installed the RB Racing 2-1 set up I've been very impressed with the performance and sound and general quality. They are a very good exhaust system... but I think they lack a bit of styling. A bike like the FXR3 deserves a bit more flash. I'll report back and post some pictures when the Kerkers are installed, thanks again for the advice and encouragement.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »

Rob, that is sweet ride bro!  Keep up the hunt.

MIker

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »

It's been almost a year since I started my search for these pipes but I've finally got them on the FXR3.  I also imported the bike to my home on Vancouver Island so I can have more time to ride it. The spot in the garage in LA where the FXR3 was, is now occupied by a 2000 FXST 103".
 The pipes on the FXR3 are not to most peoples taste but they sound great and I think they look great and that's what's most important.  If anyone has these pipes and wants to know how I got them to sound good I can go into it for them. There is actually two main components in the mufflers and they each have multiple parts. It took me a few different configurations to get it to where it sounds deep throaty at low speeds (not too loud) but sounds very healthy when at higher RPM under load. Translation; They won't attract unwanted attention but they sound great when you crank it on. I'm sure they don't give me quite as much power as the RB Racing 2-1 but they are a Harley Davidson part which I think is appropriate for a CVO and I'm not trying to get every in/lb of torque from this bike anyway. It'll still wheelie when shifting quick with a passenger. The next project for this bike may be replacing the Mikuni with a CV carb, maybe a Bobby Woods modified unit. Again not for the performance so much as the fact that a CV unit is a stock piece for this bike.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »

The tech that installed the pipes said everything fit together nicely, the quality of the finish is top notch and I really like the sound, they aren't too loud at start up or low throttle cruising but they really wake up and sound like a performance exhaust when you screw it on.

have you had the chance to hear the V&H straight shots on an FXR 2,3 or 4  ?

If so, how would you compare that sound to the RB racing 2-1 pipes ?
I'm interested in a 2-1, and I like that look, but I want something that sounds a bit deeper than the straight shots.  I've been riding them for 7 years and need a deeper sound  .........

Thanks,
Mikey

btw, nice report on the pipes !
Thanks for posting that and the pics too !!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:03:23 PM by fxr4mikey »
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »

Mikey, I haven't heard the Straight Shots on an FXR...   I will say that everyone that was interested enough to ask about the RB exhaust has liked the sound.  My brother who like many REALLY didn't like the looks of the 2-1 in general, was very impressed with the sound. He runs Python3's 2-2's on his stage1, 1200 Sporty (maybe similar to the Straight Shots?) and the RB's are definetly deeper than those. I would say that the RB is a moderate to loud pipe with deep tone that sounds very healthy when running hard. I've heard lots of 2-1 pipes that sound tinny and hollow and some just too quite, I'll also say that if you are concerned with being too loud there's no baffle kit to quite it down.

Go to  http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/  Check out the whole site if you haven't already, it's actually quite a good read, a few laughs too

If I come across a set of Straight Shots on an FXR I'll take note of the sound and get back to you.

RedFXR2

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 10:23:22 AM »

I'm interested in a 2-1, and I like that look, but I want something that sounds a bit deeper than the straight shots.  I've been riding them for 7 years and need a deeper sound  .........

Mikey--What baffles do you have in your Straight Shots, if any?  I found that using V&H's own Quiet Baffles (V21869) brought a deeper tone to mine.  If it helps, here's a video:

I would add that Khrome Werks HP-Plus baffles can be bought to fit these pipes as well.  They aren't quite as deep in tone but have a pleasing sound running at mid RPM's and a nice cat's purr "inhale" between gears.  I had them before the Quiet Baffles and still swap them out once in a while.  Bottom line is that you can play (a bit) with the tone of your pipes with different internal baffles.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:09:33 AM by RedFXR2 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 01:44:53 PM »

Red -
whatever baffles came stock in the pipes when I got them in 2001
if there were baffles in there then, they are propably burnt out by now

THANKS so much for the lead on the V&H quiet baffles, I'll ck that out and give that some SERIOUS CONSIDERATION
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

sctilt

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »

I realize this is an old thread but I was able to pick up a set of the Kerker/Supertrapp pipes (#65212-86B) brand new in the box. The only problem is there isn't any mounting hardware so I'm wondering that those of you that may have these pipes on their FXR could let me know how these are mounted to the machine. Are the two pipes connected via a rubber mount grommet on the muffler tabs and then to the transmission/frame? I have pictures of the oem mounting hardware but that's about it Any suggestions would be helpful as I may have to fab. some brackets to mount the pipes. Even better would be to locate the oem stuff which I'm sure is a reach at this point as I have contacted Supertrapp and the stuff is as most already know obsolete. Thanks for any input!

Robin-99FXR3

• Robin

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:19 PM »

Just read your post. I will take the cover off the FXR3 and refresh my memory tomorrow.  I too found a set brand new in the box on eBay after looking for a long time. My kit came with all mounting hardware. Let me know if you want specific pictures and I'll try to help out...

sctilt

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 05:14:36 AM »

Robin...thanks for the response. Yes some pics of the specific mounting areas would be great. If you want you may forward them to sctilt@gmail.com. Appreciate all the assistance!

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »

Those look like Stortz pipes ( I think that how you spell it) I seen a bike at the swap meet at Carlisle PA with the same pipes but in a matt stainlenn finish and the looked great and sounded awsome.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »

Robin...thanks for the response. Yes some pics of the specific mounting areas would be great. If you want you may forward them to sctilt@gmail.com. Appreciate all the assistance!

Were you able to install the exhaust? Did you find the mounting brackets? the same happened to me. I found a set but without the mounting brackets... :nixweiss:

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »

Just read your post. I will take the cover off the FXR3 and refresh my memory tomorrow.  I too found a set brand new in the box on eBay after looking for a long time. My kit came with all mounting hardware. Let me know if you want specific pictures and I'll try to help out...

Robin...I found a set but without the mounting bracket....how are they? Any picture? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

sctilt

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »

Were you able to install the exhaust? Did you find the mounting brackets? the same happened to me. I found a set but without the mounting brackets... :nixweiss:

AJ...no I have not as of yet installed them as I have been very busy with other projects however it looks to be not that big of a task. You will need at the least (2) 1 3/4" pipe clamps. The "P" style will work better in this case as well as various nuts/bolts. The pictures Robin sent me show both pipes clamping to the transmission with small L brackets but you could probably mount the front pipe to the engine if you already have a bracket there although it wouldn't be as clean a look. The biggest deal will be where the mufflers bolt together. There they bolt up to a rubber mount bracket which then bolts to the swingarm pivot on the frame. If Robin hasn't sent you pics already let me know and I will send them to you. I'll get some pics of my setup after it's done as well if you like.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2009, 08:49:48 AM »

AJ...no I have not as of yet installed them as I have been very busy with other projects however it looks to be not that big of a task. You will need at the least (2) 1 3/4" pipe clamps. The "P" style will work better in this case as well as various nuts/bolts. The pictures Robin sent me show both pipes clamping to the transmission with small L brackets but you could probably mount the front pipe to the engine if you already have a bracket there although it wouldn't be as clean a look. The biggest deal will be where the mufflers bolt together. There they bolt up to a rubber mount bracket which then bolts to the swingarm pivot on the frame. If Robin hasn't sent you pics already let me know and I will send them to you. I'll get some pics of my setup after it's done as well if you like.

Thanks mi amigo.....I haven't received any answer from Robin yet so I would appreciate if you send me the pictures to my email address. Yes, please send me pictures when is done and the list of the partes needed and where do you get them...
jgomez@full-protection.com

Again I really appreciate your help. The idea is to install this exhaust in a FXR4.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »

soooooooooo

after all this time ..... any pictures of the aforementioned pipes installed  ?

Inquiring minds need to know

:worthless:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2010, 07:07:45 PM »

Call SuperTrapp from web site punch in ext. 121 (Bruce). If it's available he will know. They list Kerker on there web page.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2010, 08:09:46 PM »

Thanks PKL !
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 24 queries.